Menu

Let's talk Stock Pots

How's that for an exciting conversation? :lol:

But seriously, my stock pot is super cheap. I bought it back when we were starving college students, and I've now learned a few things about it. Like the lid leaks. Like it warps when it's exposed to high heat. Like it burns in the very center of the bottom if I try to simmer anything for hours.

So I'm looking to replace it and I'm wondering what you all love? I'm looking for something BIG, as I like to make big batches of things like chili so I can freeze. And as it's not something I'm likely to replace again for many years, I'm willing to sink a little money into it. Is it worth it to go with a brand name like Calphalon?

Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice? Anecdotes? :D

My stainless steel stock pot is made by BHG. I got it at Walmart with a pasta insert and a steamer insert and the lid for $50. The stainless steel is really thick and durable and well made.

Next I'm going to get an enameled cast iron pot for things like sauces.

Cast iron and stainless steel shouldn't be used on high heat. But they retain heat so well you don't really need to use it on high (though sometimes when the food cools it down so much, I boost it on med high for a few minutes then turn it back down to med). Those two materials don't warp.

I will never again by anything with Teflon. I've been through so many sets and the coating ALWAYS peels off eventually no matter how carefully you use wooden or plastic utensils with it or wash it by hand. Waste of money to keep replacing them. Cast iron and stainless steel can last a lifetime with proper use. And learning how to cook with them does have a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad.

Thanks ladies! I just made a big double batch of chili this week then we spent 2-3 days working at the scorch on the bottom. When I went a-Googling to find out how to prevent, that I learned that my cheap pan was the problem itself :D It's stainless steel, but it's not a good grade of SS and the bottom is very thin.

Interesting to know about thick chilis not conducting well. That makes sense. I do have an enameled cast-iron dutch oven that I LOVE but it's not quite big enough for a double batch of chili. However, I've had my eye on a Le Creuset pan forever. . .:001_tt1: They come in such pretty colors!

The Lodge brand gets pretty good reviews and is a lot cheaper than the Le Creuset. Very cheap on Amazon if you can't afford the Le Creuset.

And I don't know if any stainless steel would be good for chili (or maybe it was the height:diameter ration) but even with my super thick bottomed pot, I burned my stew. Majorly.

The Lodge brand gets pretty good reviews and is a lot cheaper than the Le Creuset. Very cheap on Amazon if you can't afford the Le Creuset.

And I don't know if any stainless steel would be good for chili (or maybe it was the height:diameter ration) but even with my super thick bottomed pot, I burned my stew. Majorly.

Oh good to know, and those come in pretty colors too :D My 6-qt enameled dutch oven came from Costco and I'm very happy with it. I always drool over the Le Creuset, and I could swing the $$$, but I'd rather put it into something like camera equipment, LOL.

Yeah, my pot was burned so badly that I was seriously debating just throwing it away, but DH went to work at it for me and got most of it off.

We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-International-Endurance-Stainless-Multi-Purpose/dp/B0000DE4CO

It's been great ! We've had it for almost 12 years. It is good for stock, chili, stew, soup, steaming large quantities of anything, and anything else that requires a nice deep pot. It is also very lightweight which really helps when it is full.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I just did boat loads of research on cookware. My best resource was Cooks Illustrated on-line. I was ready to throw away all of my cookware and get good pieces that will really last. I ended up getting a mix of All-Clad copper core and regular stainless steel. But, for my stock pot, nearly everyone recommended "saving" money and getting at minimum a good aluminum core base. This one is very highly rated and on sale right now. I've only used it a few times, but I like it so far.

I have two - they fit inside each other and live on the back burner of the stove as I do not have anywhere else to put them and we use them almost everyday, for boiling up pasta if nothing else. One is Revereware - a wedding present. With its thicker bottom it is good for long-simmered soups and stews. I have never polished the copper bottom, though, so it is kinda grubby looking. The other, slightly thinner pot actually had better handles for lifting to pour out boiling pasta or taters into a colander in the sink - i think it came from Walmart.

If you are going to be lifting it on and off the stove in and out of a cupboard a lot, you do not want it too heavy. If you are going to let it live out in the open, then heavy is fine. You just need to be able to lift it and use it safely when full of boiling water or soup.

PS I have an old steamer insert that did not come with either pot, but fits inside, and i use it, with foil around the edges to wedge it in and hold the lid on, to steam tamales.

I have 4 pots that I use. LOL

One is a large heavy pot with a Teflon lining. I rarely use it (due to the Teflon) but will use it for something like making broth if I am making several pots at one time. (I will by a dozen chickens on sale and make broth out of them)

One is a large enameled steel Le Crueset pot. It is tall and fits my burner perfectly. It is my go-to pot for things like broth that I want to keep a rolling boil on. The finish makes it easy to clean, it is thick but not as heavy as cast iron. The high sides are nice to avoid a boil over, but they make it harder to stir the bottom. Due to this I don't use it much for thick foods that need to be watched and stirred up off the bottom a lot.

One is a stainless steel pot that came with my cookware set. It is a bit wider than my burner, so it can efficiently use the stove top. I can stir thick chilis, chowders and stews easily. This one is used for many things like popcorn.

I also use my cast iron Dutch Oven. I typically use this one when I want to start off with caramelizing onions and browning meat. Then I finish off with the same pot.

If I may be coming and going a bit while I am cooking, I will use my crock pot. It doesn't get as hot, so I don't use it for broth, but I will use it for other soups/stews.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Thick stuff like chili or soups . . . I looooove my Le Creuset. So much so that a soup pot was at the top of my xmas list this year. It's purple. I looove it.

For STOCK and boiling pasta, my simple and huge Tools of the Trade stainless steel pot is perfect. You don't need a fancy pot for boiling water, lol.

But, for soups and chili, etc . . . and even for the oven . . . Le Creuset. All the way. 10000%.

I am sure my kids will be using my Le Creuset pots for a long time after I am dead. My grandkids, too, probably.

This is the one I love. Perfect size for double batches of soups and chilis. I love soup. I love this pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Signature-Enameled-Cast-Iron/dp/B0076NOHYY/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

Thick stuff like chili or soups . . . I looooove my Le Creuset. So much so that a soup pot was at the top of my xmas list this year. It's purple. I looove it.

For STOCK and boiling pasta, my simple and huge Tools of the Trade stainless steel pot is perfect. You don't need a fancy pot for boiling water, lol.

But, for soups and chili, etc . . . and even for the oven . . . Le Creuset. All the way. 10000%.

I am sure my kids will be using my Le Creuset pots for a long time after I am dead. My grandkids, too, probably.

This is the one I love. Perfect size for double batches of soups and chilis. I love soup. I love this pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Signature-Enameled-Cast-Iron/dp/B0076NOHYY/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

I'm really leaning towards investing in one of these now! I was looking at the 9 qt though.

By the way, get you some Barkeeper's Friend. When you get a burn on a stainless pan, you make a paste of this stuff and leave it on overnight and it eats the carbon and you just swish the stuff away. It does not pit your pans like doing the same thing with dishwasher soap will do. It is also useful for scrubbing up to brightness those same stainless pans. There's an enzyme in the goo that eats the stuff...it's not the abrasion that does it, at least when you use the paste method.

Good to know! Thanks!

May I also mention that you can slow-cook in this thing?

And do NOT get the oval one; get the round. The lids cannot fall in when you are in a hurry putting them on a round pot. They can on ovals. Ask me how I know...OK, I'll tell you: from my oval FORMER crock pot.

Funny, my 6-qt is oval and I've not had that problem, but I could see how that could happen. I'd definitely get a round one if I invest in one of the Le Creuset. Still considering. . . it's a big expense :) I think I might wait until next fall because I likely won't use it all summer and we have a big A/C repair expense coming up.