Menu

If you have experience with Alzheimer's-I need a couple tips, book recommendations

My kids and I will be visiting groups of people on a regular basis with various degrees of Alzheimer's. We would love books (especially if there are any for ages 8-12 yrs old) to help us understand the disease, and how to best relate/talk to people who have it.

Even adult books are fine, but most books I'm seeing are caregiver type. (I may get some of those anyway in case there's any good info.)

Also, any tips would be great. For instance, til we get to know them better, we don't want to offend the ones who are more on the ball with remembering by "talking down" to them. But then I asked a stupid question yesterday-"Did you already have lunch?" and that person didn't remember. So we want to learn how to talk to them in a way that isn't confusing to them!

"Learning to Speak Ahlzeihmers" by Coste.

Basically you learn to speak with them "in the moment." Talk about the pretty pictures on the wall, what they're wearing, etc. etc.

Sometimes their older memories are clear, and they can talk about their childhood and such.

Yes, many of the resources are for caregivers, but I think they'd be helpful for volunteers, too!

For general knowledge, this article is very good: Understanding the Dementia Experience

I found this little booklet VERY helpful, written by an older gentleman as he learned to care for his wife! Alzheimer's Playbook

Communicating with the Alz. Patient: http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2010/03/ten-tips-for-communicating-with.html

Great PDF from the Alz. Association! http://www.alz.org/national/documents/brochure_communication.pdf

The Kids and Teens section of the Alz.org website has several great articles and a list of activities that are simple and fun for those with Alz. to do together: http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_just_for_kids_and_teens.asp

I only linked online resources because those were the bulk of what I used when I cared for dh's grandmother. I haven't seen a book for anyone but caregivers/loved ones even though they may exist! Hope these help. :)

And if you want some fiction to read that will help you understand what the patient is going through, my bff, a psychiatrist, recommended Still Alice by Lisa Genova. The author is a neuroscientist from Harvard and she interviewed people in early stages of Alzheimers in order to write from that viewpoint in the book. I just got the book and haven't had a chance to get past the first few pages yet. My friend suggested it to me because my mom was recently diagnosed with it.

My grandmother had Alzheimer's and my FIL is suffering with it right now. The one important thing we learned over the years is do NOT take anything they say personally...they don't mean it.

Alzheimer's patients are prone to violence and violent outbursts, so warn your children about that. My FIL would frequently call my ds names and yell at him telling him he was a bad kid and needed a spanking. Occasionally they do lash out physically, so be mindful of that. They get frightened and startle easily as well, so sudden physical movement on the part of small children or noises can be upsetting to them. My grandmother was very sensitive to noise from my friends and I playing in the house.

They respond well to smiles and laughter. They react to how they see you behaving, so if you are pleasant and smiling, they mirror that. If they are being disagreeable, sometimes that's all it takes to change their mood. A smile and a reassuring pat on the arm.

Their childhood memories are the strongest and the last to go, so have your kids ask them about when they were little. They love talking and telling stories about things they can recall. Going through photo albums with them (if they have them) can be fun.

They do tire easily, so make sure to take that into account as well. Usually they'll let you know that, but sometimes they can just drift off in the middle of a conversation. Short visits are best.

Yes, many of the resources are for caregivers, but I think they'd be helpful for volunteers, too!

For general knowledge, this article is very good: Understanding the Dementia Experience

I found this little booklet VERY helpful, written by an older gentleman as he learned to care for his wife! Alzheimer's Playbook

Communicating with the Alz. Patient: http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2010/03/ten-tips-for-communicating-with.html

Great PDF from the Alz. Association! http://www.alz.org/national/documents/brochure_communication.pdf

The Kids and Teens section of the Alz.org website has several great articles and a list of activities that are simple and fun for those with Alz. to do together: http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_just_for_kids_and_teens.asp

I only linked online resources because those were the bulk of what I used when I cared for dh's grandmother. I haven't seen a book for anyone but caregivers/loved ones even though they may exist! Hope these help. :)

These are great! Thanks for posting them :001_smile:.

Visit earlier in the day rather than later. A lot of people with Alzheimers have Sundowners syndrome (increased confusion after sundown).

Initially their short-term memory is more affected than long-term so they might not remember what they ate for lunch but they will remember stories from their youth that have been hardwired into their brains.

They will retell the same story over and over again in exactly the same way (nearly word for word) so if you visit them frequently your kids should be ready to smile and nod as they hear those stories again and again.

Short visits are best. Their minds will drift during a long conversation.

See if the facility has a service/companion dog that could accompany your kids on their visits. Most older people love to see animals.