Menu

Latin program for high school...

Sorry to bug everyone with a bunch of posts today...But, what would you recommend as a good beginning Latin program for 9th grade? Ds wants to do 2 years of Latin then 2 years of Spanish for high school. So I'm looking for some good program suggestions.

TIA!!

I've heard of a stipulation of four years of the same language in high school.

Best wishes

Laura

Oh no!! I hadn't heard that. It was my understanding that most colleges want 2 consecutive years of the same language. :scared: We even looked at admission requirements to a few colleges. That is why he decided to do two years of Latin and two of Spanish. ACK!!

Oh no!! I hadn't heard that. It was my understanding that most colleges want 2 consecutive years of the same language. :scared: We even looked at admission requirements to a few colleges. That is why he decided to do two years of Latin and two of Spanish. ACK!!

It is my understanding that more selective colleges prefer/require three sequential years of the same language. They want to see that a student has really stuck with a language for the long run (if you consider three years to be a "long run" :001_smile:). Additionally, some colleges do not recognize Latin as a foreign language. You'd probably be "safer" doing one year of Latin and then three of Spanish. But if your son is looking at less selective colleges, then 2+2 should be perfectly fine. It just depends on where you're setting your sights.

I am reading in TWTM on foreign language schedules. We have done Prima Latina, Latina Christiana 1 and 1 year of RS Spanish.

I am going to try for 9th and 8th grade, The Latin Road to English Grammar.

I got Henle on here at a steal, but still don't think they are ready for it.

I was already looking at The Latin Road and did not know how much Latin or how much Grammar is covered.

SWB has different options: All begin Latin before 9th grade.

The latest one shown is : 7th or 8th-Latin Road volume 1

8th or 9th- Latin Road volume 2

She also suggests using a supplemental or stand alone Grammar program along with this program, because it covers plenty of Latin and not enough grammar.

Just sharing what I was reading and planning today! :001_smile:

She also, as I have read, suggests a modern language along with Latin if the student can handle it. There are suggested plans in the Logic stage chapter.

Okay, here is more.....

Rhetoric Stage: Suggestions

Two- language option for student beginning language study in high school

Ninth grade: The Latin Road to English Grammar, Volume 1; begin Volume 2

Tenth grade: Finish Latin Road volume 2; Latin Road Volume 3

Eleventh grade: Oxford Latin Course, Part III, Rosetta Stone or Power Glide Level 1

Twelfth grade: Oxford Latin Reader; Rosetta Stone or Power Glide level 2

High School credits awarded: 4 Latin, 2 modern language

Hope this helps someone. (I may use the Henle course 1-2 instead of Oxford)

There is another suggestion if you would rather do a 4 year modern language and 2 year Latin, leading to reading proficiency.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

It is my understanding that more selective colleges prefer/require three sequential years of the same language. They want to see that a student has really stuck with a language for the long run (if you consider three years to be a "long run" :001_smile:). Additionally, some colleges do not recognize Latin as a foreign language. You'd probably be "safer" doing one year of Latin and then three of Spanish. But if your son is looking at less selective colleges, then 2+2 should be perfectly fine. It just depends on where you're setting your sights.

Well, it's still early in the game for him, but he's talking about Texas A&M, Liberty, or Trevecca Nazarene. So we'll see!! :D They all listed 2, so I'm guessing he'll be ok!!

Thanks!! :001_smile:

I am reading in TWTM on foreign language schedules. We have done Prima Latina, Latina Christiana 1 and 1 year of RS Spanish.

I am going to try for 9th and 8th grade, The Latin Road to English Grammar.

I got Henle on here at a steal, but still don't think they are ready for it.

I was already looking at The Latin Road and did not know how much Latin or how much Grammar is covered.

SWB has different options: All begin Latin before 9th grade.

The latest one shown is : 7th or 8th-Latin Road volume 1

8th or 9th- Latin Road volume 2

She also suggests using a supplemental or stand alone Grammar program along with this program, because it covers plenty of Latin and not enough grammar.

Just sharing what I was reading and planning today! :001_smile:

She also, as I have read, suggests a modern language along with Latin if the student can handle it. There are suggested plans in the Logic stage chapter.

Okay, here is more.....

Tenth grade: Finsih Latin Road volume 2; Latin Road Volume 3

Eleventh grade: Oxford Latin Course, Part III, Rosetta Stone or Power Glide Level 1

Hope this helps someone. (I may use the Henle course 1-2 instead of Oxford)

There is another suggestion if you would rather do a 4 year modern language and 2 year Latin, leading to reading proficiency.

You're so awesome!!! Thank you! I sold my WTM book a while back (for who knows why :tongue_smilie:), and I am kicking myself for it. I need to break down and buy another copy. I appreciate it, it's so very helpful!! Thanks!

My favourite course is Latin Prep. Some here have used it for high school at a slightly accelerated pace - it was designed for middle school. This is Abbeyej's take on the equivalence:

.....(Latin Prep 1-3 = ~ 2 years of American high school Latin)....... You will also want to add some basic Roman history/culture in order to match the expectations for a high school language course. Students would be expected to know the basics of Roman government (and the evolution of that government), family structure, household, army and religion...

Laura

Well, it's still early in the game for him, but he's talking about Texas A&M, Liberty, or Trevecca Nazarene. So we'll see!! :D They all listed 2, so I'm guessing he'll be ok!!

Thanks!! :001_smile:

I would humbly point out that doing the absolute minimal required doesn't guarantee admission in these days of very competitive college applications.

I would humbly point out that doing the absolute minimal required doesn't guarantee admission in these days of very competitive college applications.

On the flip side, doing the absolute maximum doesn't guarantee admission these days either.:)

My oldest is completing Latin III this year. The schools on his list would like to see either three years of one language (Latin is fine with all school's on his list) or two years of two different languages at the high school level.

We debated whether he should take Latin IV next year. He wants to be done; I thought he should go above the minimum and take another year.

He ended up emailing a couple of schools on his list. Their responses pleased him greatly. He was told that they would rather see him devote more time to his area of interest rather than take another year of Latin.

That being said, he plans to major in biomedical engineering with plans to hopefully go on to medical school. The schools on his list will not require him to study a foreign language in college. Had he been heading to a liberal arts school, his responses may have been different.

Okay, here is more.....

Tenth grade: Finish Latin Road volume 2; Latin Road Volume 3

I'm a big fan of Rosetta Stone - at the right time, for the right kid, for the right reason. It was a major part of my kids learning not to fear German when we lived there.

But even as someone who's used RS successfully in language learning, I really DO NOT think that it is a stand alone program. There is nothing like the quantity of writing that I did in intro language courses. There is little speaking (and even a fluent speaker with little accent can have trouble getting the software to approve their phrases). There is no explicit instruction in grammar, and the student misses out on the discussion of concepts like case, tense, and parts of speech that bleed over into better English usage. There isn't an opportunity to have to converse or create sentences that say what you are thinking.

So use Rosetta Stone if you want as a means of getting some listening and reading input. But don't think that it is really the same as a full year of a high school language. (And again, I'm a repeat customer of RS.)

(I don't have personal experience with Powerglide. I was very turned off by the idea of diglot weave when I heard their pitch 15 years ago. Not sure what the program looks like now. But I would recommend the same investigation into full language learning that is worth doing with Rosetta Stone and other programs.)

But even as someone who's used RS successfully in language learning, I really DO NOT think that it is a stand alone program. There is nothing like the quantity of writing that I did in intro language courses. There is little speaking (and even a fluent speaker with little accent can have trouble getting the software to approve their phrases). There is no explicit instruction in grammar, and the student misses out on the discussion of concepts like case, tense, and parts of speech that bleed over into better English usage. There isn't an opportunity to have to converse or create sentences that say what you are thinking.

So use Rosetta Stone if you want as a means of getting some listening and reading input. But don't think that it is really the same as a full year of a high school language. (And again, I'm a repeat customer of RS.)

:iagree:

I'm not anti-Rosetta Stone, but one "level" of RS does not remotely equal a year of HS language. RS levels have nothing to do with HS or college language levels, it's just the way RS packages their product. If one level equaled a year of HS, then students who complete level 5 could take the AP test! In fact, they probably wouldn't even be able to test out of Spanish 2. RS estimates about 40 hrs per level — that means you would need to get through at least 3 levels for one credit. All 5 levels would not equal 2 credits, unless you added a significant amount of extra reading and conversation.

Jackie