Menu

ScienceFusion officially on HSBC!

LAinVA

I've been looking at this for awhile and I found out a bit more on the HSBC site. It is online, has a write in text, a digital TE, hands-on activities, a pacing schedule, assessments, and it is secular. It is 25% off right now and will go to 40% off if over 50 people agree to buy it. Oh, and they offer 4 different start dates for the online portion starting with May 15th. Just thought I would pass it on for those still looking!

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1703&c=1

This link shows you 60+ pages of the text - http://www.scribd.com/search?query=Science+Fusion

I had a rough time finding information on it too. The link in my prior post has a video and a description. There is a link to the pacing guide this is 3rd grade -

http://www.hmheducation.com/sciencefusion/pdf/ScienceFusion_Gr3.pdf

If you go to the grade you want and open it; there is a pacing guide for each one towards the bottom. HTH!

I am so excited for this, and so is DS. We LOVED the samples.

Me too! I like having the different resources as far as the text, the online, and the hands-on activities. I haven't committed to buying yet because I can't decide on the start date. I thought it might be a good idea to start over the summer instead of waiting until August 15th. Regardless, I will definitely be buying! :001_smile:

This link shows you 60+ pages of the text - http://www.scribd.com/search?query=Science+Fusion

I had a rough time finding information on it too. The link in my prior post has a video and a description. There is a link to the pacing guide this is 3rd grade -

http://www.hmheducation.com/sciencefusion/pdf/ScienceFusion_Gr3.pdf

If you go to the grade you want and open it; there is a pacing guide for each one towards the bottom. HTH!

THANK YOU!!!

We are going to try this too... when I showed some of the online samples to my son, he was really excited.

We won't officially start until the fall, but I think that I'll request access for July 15th, so that I can look at it and put together (ahead of time!) the supplies that we'll want for the hands-on activities

We are going to try this too... when I showed some of the online samples to my son, he was really excited.

We won't officially start until the fall, but I think that I'll request access for July 15th, so that I can look at it and put together (ahead of time!) the supplies that we'll want for the hands-on activities

Ah, that's a good idea. This will be our 1st year hsing so these tidbits help a lot.

I just stumbled across this site when searching for info on SF. Helped me to decide that I definitely want to do SF next year :)

WOW! I wonder if this is just for schools or are what the hs package includes also. I LOVE the list of leveled readers you can just pull up as a pdf. I find it odd it lets you in without a password though.

I wonder if it can be done two days a week? And how much is teacher involved? I'm definitely using it for DS, just wondering if DD is going to be wishing she had it, too. I'm assuming DS will be able to do most of it on his own as a 5th grader, but I don't want to be overwhelmed (and I'm not too set on needing full formal science for a 3rd grader.)

I'm confused. Is this either a book or a computer based thing, or both?

I'm not crazy about the book samples.

I'm curious- what specifically don't you like. :bigear:

Looking at this for something fun and extra for my science loving DS.

I just stumbled across this site when searching for info on SF. Helped me to decide that I definitely want to do SF next year :)

THANKS! My kids were able to watch a whole lesson so I could better judge content and they could see what they thought.

(I'm surprised it's not password protected too ;) )

I think this will be a good value when it get's to 40% off, which I'm sure it will.

I don't like the 1 year usage from date the date you select, but I get why they do it.

Edited by Ann in IA

WOW! I wonder if this is just for schools or are what the hs package includes also. I LOVE the list of leveled readers you can just pull up as a pdf. I find it odd it lets you in without a password though.

Will Homeschoolers have access to these leveled readers resources? Could those be put onto an ipad? (Obviously if they are PDFs they can, but they didn't show up as PDFs for me.)

Holy science-samples, Batman! This link is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I was planning to just use one of the middle school modules next year -- but this 5th grade sample looks fantastic. :)

Actually, they all look great.

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

They are pdfs, they are just opened within the browser instead of through Acrobat. If you right-click on the name of the reader, there is an option to "save link as" and that will save it to your computer as a pdf. Then it could be sent to your iPad.

FYI - there are three levels to the readers. The ones that have a red border are level 1, the blue ones are level 2, and the green ones are level 3. So your student wouldn't be reading ALL the book on the list.

Oh, I just found the leveled readers :001_wub: They look great!!

So my biggest question is this: Is the homeschool pkg the same as what the schools get? Any differences? I don't want to buy it and then find that the leveled readers are not included or some other component. KWIM?

I'm not able to see a complete homeschool sample like the school one that was listed so can't compare.

So my biggest question is this: Is the homeschool pkg the same as what the schools get? Any differences? I don't want to buy it and then find that the leveled readers are not included or some other component. KWIM?

I'm not able to see a complete homeschool sample like the school one that was listed so can't compare.

Exactly. I am not even sure who to contact with this question.

It appears as though the leveled readers are included with the homeschool kit. :D

Scroll down on the "Digital K5" Tab

http://www.hmheducation.com/sciencefusion-homeschool/overview-homeschool-kit-components.php

I originally looked at it before the HSBC. And I was turned off, I can't remember why, now looking at it again, I do remember.

I prefer stuff, that if I purchase, its mine, especially if its something I am going to use as a core. If I love the program, without HSBC its $150 per year, and the only thing you get out of it is some audio and student readers, that you can keep at the end.

3 children $450 a year for that program. And I have to keep on buying it every year, its an ongoing cost. Like an expensive Lending library.

I'd much rather buy a few CD-Rom games that are mine to keep, some Science videos, again, mine to keep, games, labs, and colourful books, that I can use again and again in the years to come.

I am honestly sure its brilliant and blows away peoples mind in the way of technology, but its just not worth the cost IMO. If they turn it into a CD or something you can buy and KEEP. Or a lifetime membership or something, then I would probably re-look at it, but am always wary of something you pay for, and they essentially "keep".

*ducks from tomatoes and slips over* lol.

Anyway, just trying to give a different POV

Is there anything like this on a CD-Rom?

I love the presentation of the digital lessons. I love that there is a worktext component for reinforcement. Is there anything similar - a blend of digital lessons and consumable worksheet? Some that is a general science overview and not just straight physics, or bio? Something secular?

Is there anything like this on a CD-Rom?

I love the presentation of the digital lessons. I love that there is a worktext component for reinforcement. Is there anything similar - a blend of digital lessons and consumable worksheet? Some that is a general science overview and not just straight physics, or bio? Something secular?

I was wondering this too. I want something JUST like this, but offline.

I didn't even know the price, but that's a huge turn off.

What I'm not crazy about is that it looks very busy. There is this and that all over the place. I think we could cover those topics easily by just reading various library books. And in fact my 10 year old has already beaten all those topics to death. I'm having him move onto something meatier next year. I don't even know how I'd place him in Fusion.

And my other son is 6 so I definitely don't see the need for that program. Again, I could cover those topics with library books and videos.

Thanks for that reminder! Why is every NEW thing so tempting???

And I tend to not like school textbooks. I prefer reading books not written for schools. KWIM? I suppose it's somewhat of an unfair prejudice I have. Growing up I think some of my school text books were soul crushingly boring.

:iagree: That and they are unreasonably dumbed-down. I was going thru the grades, first, then second, and then only when I got to third was I semi-okay with the level of writing and info, but even then, it was paltry compared to what you would get out of a good non-school science book. I think I'll stick to library books and BFSU for next year, personally (this is for 1st grade).

Well I do think it could be appealing to some kids because it is on the computer. My fear would be that my son wouldn't actually read it, but skim it. I too tend to skim things on the computer (but not so much in a book).

From the sample I looked at, the student goes through the interactive presentation on the computer, and then there are slides at the end where you have to click on the answers to questions. If the student has skimmed, they won't get these right. And the presentation covers the information again for wrong answers.

I'm not seeing the leveled readers y'all are talking about. I'm looking at grades 6-8. Are these only in 1-5?

I'm with Wendy. I don't think it looks that good. For that price, adn assuming you want something online, I think K12's science is better (we did it for 2 years, and i still think i might do it again for younger) the content is nowhere near BFSU volume 2 (i'm looking a Grade 5) and we're not big fans of the "scattered on the page, graphic, blurby, DK Science book" format either. I also agree with Wendy that much of the content will have already been covered by kids who read a lot of science books.

I'm with Wendy. I don't think it looks that good. For that price, adn assuming you want something online, I think K12's science is better (we did it for 2 years, and i still think i might do it again for younger) the content is nowhere near BFSU volume 2 (i'm looking a Grade 5) and we're not big fans of the "scattered on the page, graphic, blurby, DK Science book" format either. I also agree with Wendy that much of the content will have already been covered by kids who read a lot of science books.

but isn't K12's science over $200, plus materials? We are doing K12 and I do really like the science, but i can't spend that much money on one subject.

I decided against it. I decided I'd rather just do books and not worry about the computer. I can find videos and things from NASA, youtube, and neoK12.com.

I didn't even know the price, but that's a huge turn off.

What I'm not crazy about is that it looks very busy. There is this and that all over the place. I think we could cover those topics easily by just reading various library books. And in fact my 10 year old has already beaten all those topics to death. I'm having him move onto something meatier next year. I don't even know how I'd place him in Fusion.

And my other son is 6 so I definitely don't see the need for that program. Again, I could cover those topics with library books and videos.

Thanks, Wendy. If you don't like it, I'm sure I won't either. :) What did you end up with for next year? And can I ask what you did for Earth/Space science?

but isn't K12's science over $200, plus materials? We are doing K12 and I do really like the science, but i can't spend that much money on one subject.

I decided against it. I decided I'd rather just do books and not worry about the computer. I can find videos and things from NASA, youtube, and neoK12.com.

We do science intensives, when they do K12 they do 5 or even 6 days a week so we don't pay for as many months, many short lessons can be combined, and some of the activites can be done after they have completed the course for reinforcement or expansion of a topic. :)

Edited by melmichigan

We do science intensives, when they do K12 they do 5 or even 6 days a week so we don't pay for as many months, many short lessons can be combined, and some of the activites can be done after they have completed the course for reinforcement or expansion of a topic. :)

gotcha! That's a good idea!

Does anyone know how you can get an extra worktext for 2 kids working on the same level?

I'm considering this as I need a science that covers a variety of topics, can be done somewhat independently, and has some excitement/wow factor. We've used SL science up until now and the my boys are getting tired of the format. Me too, actually.

Does anyone know how you can get an extra worktext for 2 kids working on the same level?

I'm considering this as I need a science that covers a variety of topics, can be done somewhat independently, and has some excitement/wow factor. We've used SL science up until now and the my boys are getting tired of the format. Me too, actually.

I contacted the company directly and asked them about extra workbooks. I have 3 kids that will be working at the same level. They do not have extra workbooks for sale. They gave me the ISBN number for the book and I did some searching on the internet. The books I found were $85 each, plus shipping. I did leave a comment for the customer service rep and told him the company needs to allow for people to buy extra workbooks and that they are missing an opportunity.

Did you see this from up thread? I bit the bullet and spent almost half my $200 budget on the 5th grade. My next year 3rd grader should be able to do it and I can up it some for my 6th grader. He'll do any workbook stuff on lined paper. I think it will engage them. I love science but we haven't enjoyed library book science or text book science and they loathe experiment based things. Brain pop is all that has engaged them and this looks a step up from that.