Menu

Wow -- thank goodness the Mom insisted on seeing her child!

We had a family member declared dead, back in the days before embalming was common, who woke up during his wake. (How ironic). The story above had links to other stories of others recently declared dead who aren't now. Given how many "flat line, then back" stories there are, I wish we as a people, would s-l-o-w down in our rush to judge whether someone is still here or not. And, allow us to mingle with the newly departed a bit. What I don't like seeing is all the indignation* around the "mistakes." I don't believe emergency responders and medical personnel are wholesale rushing to judgement about live or dead, but simply evaluating at that point if vitals are apparent. If we could slow down the declaring dead process a bit, instead of stringing folks up for doing their jobs, we might have more productive results.

*in the string of stories

Wow -- thank goodness the Mom insisted on seeing her child!

We had a family member declared dead, back in the days before embalming was common, who woke up during his wake. (How ironic). The story above had links to other stories of others recently declared dead who aren't now. Given how many "flat line, then back" stories there are, I wish we as a people, would s-l-o-w down in our rush to judge whether someone is still here or not. And, allow us to mingle with the newly departed a bit. What I don't like seeing is all the indignation* around the "mistakes." I don't believe emergency responders and medical personnel are wholesale rushing to judgement about live or dead, but simply evaluating at that point if vitals are apparent. If we could slow down the declaring dead process a bit, instead of stringing folks up for doing their jobs, we might have more productive results.

*in the string of stories

Well one of those string of stories happened in the state of Aus that I live in only last week, horrible car accident, person declared dead, ambulance left, hour later body being wrapped in plastic still moving, recheck vitals and found alive. I can totally see how this could happen and nobody blamed the ambulance guys at all. They had worked on the man for a long time before they had declared him dead.

What I find amazing about the story I posted above was the baby survived 12 hours in the fridge in the morgue, and apparently was covered in frost it was so cold. that I find amazing.

What I find amazing about the story I posted above was the baby survived 12 hours in the fridge in the morgue, and apparently was covered in frost it was so cold. that I find amazing.

:eek: Poor little blighter! :eek:

(I'm not even going to read the article. I'm supposed to be going to bed half an hour ago and that would keep me awake!)

Rosie

I can totally see how this could happen and nobody blamed the ambulance guys at all. They had worked on the man for a long time before they had declared him dead.

Yeah! I'm totally with you on seeing how it can happen, but based upon the single item I read on that one, I got a different impression. Here's the quote from the article I read (there were a few) that I took as indignation or finger pointing with the highlights being mine:

Ambulance Victoria said it was investigating the bungle with the two paramedics involved traumatised by their mistake.

"These are two very experienced paramedics but obviously this has been an error and we will work with them through that," said spokesman Simon Thomson.

He added that the driver had horrific facial injuries and paramedics were confronted with a challenging scene but would not comment on whether their error compromised his survival chances.

--From Yahoo 7 News (maybe they are inflamatory by nature? I wouldn't know).

My point is, maybe the crew didn't make a mistake/error as labeled in the story. Maybe the guy had no vitals! Then they came back after that. To label folks doing their job as the process is designed today seems unfair. Maybe the process needs to be expanded to a second check 10 min. later...to verify the observed dead is still exhibiting the same lack of vitals.

As for the baby, I'm so darn glad that mother followed her instinct to stay goodbye. What a shock, but hopefully longterm pleasant surprise. I hope she continues to improve.

I just saw this story on CNN. So glad the mother insisted on seeing the baby one last time. The dad said he had to use a crowbar to open the coffin! I cannot imagine how that tiny baby stayed alive being in a refrigerator in a morgue for that long!

Elise in NC

Yeah! I'm totally with you on seeing how it can happen, but based upon the single item I read on that one, I got a different impression. Here's the quote from the article I read (there were a few) that I took as indignation or finger pointing with the highlights being mine:

Ambulance Victoria said it was investigating the bungle with the two paramedics involved traumatised by their mistake.

"These are two very experienced paramedics but obviously this has been an error and we will work with them through that," said spokesman Simon Thomson.

He added that the driver had horrific facial injuries and paramedics were confronted with a challenging scene but would not comment on whether their error compromised his survival chances.

--From Yahoo 7 News (maybe they are inflamatory by nature? I wouldn't know).

My point is, maybe the crew didn't make a mistake/error as labeled in the story. Maybe the guy had no vitals! Then they came back after that. To label folks doing their job as the process is designed today seems unfair. Maybe the process needs to be expanded to a second check 10 min. later...to verify the observed dead is still exhibiting the same lack of vitals.

As for the baby, I'm so darn glad that mother followed her instinct to stay goodbye. What a shock, but hopefully longterm pleasant surprise. I hope she continues to improve.

Actually the inquiry found that the paramedics had recorded that the person was trying to breath, something like 3 breaths a minute, but had no other vital signs and so they pronounced him dead. Apparently the body movements he was doing are something very common when someone dies with trauma, and are not necessarily a sign of life. The inquiry has resulted in the senior paramedic being stood down form his teaching role, and a complete review of how someone is pronounced dead. It was only when he was still moving a hour later that emergency service personnel retook vitals.

The man is still on life support and this family have come forward with praise for the effort the paramedics efforts to revive their son.