Menu

Question for Jann in TX

Awhile back, I posted a question asking how TT PreCalculus compares to College Algebra. You said:

The first 100 lessons of TT Pre-Calc are actually Algebra 2...

That doesn't leave much of the text for an actual Pre-Calc program that contains Algebra 3 and Trig...

I just bought TT PreCalculus, and while looking through the book today, I noticed that there are only 95 lessons in the entire book. Did you mean that the first 10 lessons are actually Algebra 2?

ETA: Here is a link to the TT PreCalculus table of contents. Which lessons do you feel are actually Algebra 2 lessons?

Edited by ereks mom

Not Jann, but I would say that the material in the first 5 chapters are frequently covered in standard algebra 2 texts. If it's algebra 2 plus trig, then add in the next 5 (matrices are frequently covered in alg 2, so might as well add them to the pile) here, for example is the toc for kinetic books alg 2, which is very thorough. So I would say at least 50% of what is in the precalc would be considered alg 2 in many other places.

0 Welcome

1 Expressions, Equations and Functions

2 Graphing Linear Equations and Functions

3 Systems of Equations and Inequalities

4 Matrices

5 Quadratic Functions and Factoring

6 Polynomial Functions

7 Powers, Radicals and Complex Numbers

8 Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

9 Rational Expressions and Equations

10 Conic Sections

11 Sequences and Series

12 Probability and Counting

13 Trigonometric Functions

14 Trigonometric Identities and Equations

OK-- I took another look this morning.

The first 5 chapters are typical Algebra 2 content. Chapter 6 is taught in most Geometry programs and some Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 programs. Chapter 10 is Algebra 2 level.

I can't remember why I posted about 100 lessons-- so I apologize that I gave out that incorrect information-- BUT I stand by that it is NOT a full or complete Pre-Calc course when compared to any college-level or even high school Pre-Cac text. Over half of the text is BASIC Algebra 2 material-- that leaves only half of the text (less than 50 lessons) to cover what a TRUE Pre-calc program would

Now-- advanced or 'natural' math students may find this adequate...students used to go right from Algebra 2 into Calc 1... BUT there was a high-percentage of failure among those students and by inserting a year of Pre-Calc a higher percentage of students (including 'average') were able to successfully complete Calculus.