Menu

Zimmerman in custody

I'm glad he was charged with something, but I really thought it would be manslaughter (if anything). I wonder what evidence they have that led them to do 2nd degree? Or if they're going with 2nd degree, but expecting a lesser charge? I'm just hoping the stupid stand your ground law doesn't allow him to walk.

http://mobile.syracuse.com/advsyra/pm_29245/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=vkexng5s

Special prosecutor Angela Corey announced the charges but would not discuss how she arrived at them or disclose other details of her investigation, saying: “That’s why we try cases in court.†Second-degree murder is typically brought in cases when there is a fight or other confrontation that results in death and but does involve a premeditated plan to kill.

Zimmerman was following (maybe even chasing) Martin, potentially painting him as the aggressor. They got in a confrontation that led to the shooting. The pundits are saying that second degree is fairly typical in such cases.

We'll never know if he warrants the charge or if officials were too afraid NOT to charge him. The likelihood of justice being done here is virtually NIL.

As far as I am concerned Zimmerman was wrong to pursue Martin despite being instructed not too. He could have avoided this whole scenario and hence IMO he should be charged with something.

As far as I am concerned Zimmerman was wrong to pursue Martin despite being instructed not too. He could have avoided this whole scenario and hence IMO he should be charged with something.

:iagree: if there is not evidence to support the charge, it will be dropped. I'm glad it's at least being investigated further. I thought the way the police department handled this was a joke.

We'll never know if he warrants the charge or if officials were too afraid NOT to charge him. The likelihood of justice being done here is virtually NIL.

"We'll never know"? Meaning that you've already made up your mind, regardless of what evidence emerges at a trial?

I can't speak for everyone who wanted this to happen, but what I wanted was an investigation and a trial. I didn't want Zimmerman strung up. If evidence emerges at the trial which clears him, I will be glad.

Ta-Nehisi Coates, at The Atlantic, has had good commentary about this case all along. Last night he posted:

What I know is that I care much more about him being charged, then I do about him being convicted. What always rankled about this case wasn't that Zimmerman might not see a jail cell (that's what judges and juries determine) but that law enforcement had done everything to foreclose that possibility. We may find that they still have. I imagine a lot was lost in bungling. But at the very least this says, "We take the loss of life seriously."

Coates has it right. The outrage was because no one in authority seemed to think that the case was worth investigating. They took Zimmerman's word for his innocence. They didn't test Zimmerman for alcohol and drugs. They didn't check Trayvon's cell phone logs. Weeks after the shooting, they still hadn't bothered to interview Trayvon's girlfriend, who was speaking to him on the phone moments before he died.

They acted like Trayvon was a throwaway who didn't matter. Now he'll have his day in court. If Zimmerman legitimately acted in self-defense, we'll know, and he'll be acquitted. But at least they'll have bothered to find out.

"We'll never know"? Meaning that you've already made up your mind, regardless of what evidence emerges at a trial?

I can't speak for everyone who wanted this to happen, but what I wanted was an investigation and a trial. I didn't want Zimmerman strung up. If evidence emerges at the trial which clears him, I will be glad.

Ta-Nehisi Coates, at The Atlantic, has had good commentary about this case all along. Last night he posted:

Coates has it right. The outrage was because no one in authority seemed to think that the case was worth investigating. They took Zimmerman's word for his innocence. They didn't test Zimmerman for alcohol and drugs. They didn't check Trayvon's cell phone logs. Weeks after the shooting, they still hadn't bothered to interview Trayvon's girlfriend, who was speaking to him on the phone moments before he died.

They acted like Trayvon was a throwaway who didn't matter. Now he'll have his day in court. If Zimmerman legitimately acted in self-defense, we'll know, and he'll be acquitted. But at least they'll have bothered to find out.

Thank you. This is how I feel, but didn't say it nearly as well. In my defense, I'm typing on an iPad. :tongue_smilie:

THANK YOU!!! Very, very well stated.

The lynch mob mentality disturbs me. But, the fact that the investigation did not go forward as it should have disturbs me even more. All I care about is getting the facts out there before the court system. Let the facts stand for themselves. The apathy displayed towards taking the time to discover the truth is just appalling!

Faith

:iagree:

THANK YOU!!! Very, very well stated.

The lynch mob mentality disturbs me. But, the fact that the investigation did not go forward as it should have disturbs me even more. All I care about is getting the facts out there before the court system. Let the facts stand for themselves. The apathy displayed towards taking the time to discover the truth is just appalling!

Faith

I totally agree with you, Faith.