Menu

Do you like Teaching Textbooks?

Alicia64

This is our 1st year homeschooling and my daughter (6th grade) was using a different math program to start- and was in tears everyday-high maintenance. We took a suggestion and put her in TT7, and we LOVE it! She can see EVERY problem worked out if she wants. It keeps a record so we know which ones she's missed and whether she bothered to view the solution (this is great- otherwise our kid would not look back to try to figure out what she did wrong). You can redo lessons if they need to- Love, love, love the automatic grading.

Barring unforseen circumstances, we plan to use this all the way through. Now, I will say in all fairness that my dd is NOT a math-gifted student. I've been told by many homeschool veterans that if your child is math-gifted or plans to do hardcore math field that Saxon is far better at covering all the bases and kids tend to score higher on SAT, etc. BUT, we looked at Saxon and it would have produced even more tears than the other programs we used/tried. No more tears over math in our house- BIG improvement! Oh, I'm also going to be doing LOF Fractions with my dd over the summer, because this so far has been hardest for her- so going to try to reenforce with a different, light-hearted approach.

Good luck with whatever you decide! It's so hard narrowing down curriculum when there is so much to choose from (and btw, my youngest does NOT use TT- she's dyslexic and MUS is a better fit for her)....

Paula

Read this thread. It is VERY informative.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259625&highlight=teaching+textbooks

If you go to the search function at the top of the page and click on it. Do an advanced search.

Type in teaching textbooks (or TT) and title only

then select the k-8 boards.

you will find all the detail you want to know about TT

Here are a few more

Read this thread. It is VERY informative.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259625&highlight=teaching+textbooks

If you go to the search function at the top of the page and click on it. Do an advanced search.

Type in teaching textbooks (or TT) and title only

then select the k-8 boards.

you will find all the detail you want to know about TT

Here are a few more

:iagree: (and yes, I use and love it, and if you look at those threads you'll know exactly why lol).

My daughter was absolutely struggling with SAXON math. Mid year we jumped ship and went to TT6. She flew through that, went right into 7 and is now in Pre-Algebra. When people ask her what her favorite subjects are, she actually says MATH!

That says a lot!

Yes, love it. DS 12 is in his second year of using TT. He is actually a mathy kid, but I needed something independent that he could use and that we wouldn't butt heads on. :tongue_smilie: It has worked beautifully. If we were going to be hs'ing next year, I'd get for all 3 of my kids. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth every dollar.

We are finishing up TT5 for 5th grade. We were doing Saxon Math and it was a daily battle. For some reason she responds better to the voice of the cd-rom guy better than the Dive cd one. I did find that about 1/2 way thrpugh that I really could pick which problems we could skip. every few days we skip some of the repetitive ones. I know that is the precept that the repetition makes for mastery but I believe the constant repetition was driving her crazy. She started asking for 2 lessons a day. Who would have thought that was possible. Not me until this program. Will continue down this road as long as possible.

Since you also asked for reasons why someone doesn't like TT, and not just positive reviews, I thought I would chime in.

My top 3 reasons:

1. The way the lessons are set up. The amount of newly learned problems are very few per lesson. A new concept is introduced each lesson. You and your child watch the lecture which explains the concept. Usually the child enters in some amount of information during the lecture, and then the lesson starts. There are 5 "practice" problems that immediately follow the lecture. Out of these 5 "practice" problems 2 of them relate to the new concept just taught. The other 3 are previously taught concepts. Then there are 22 more questions. Again, only 2 of these questions (out of 22) relate to the newly taught concept.

2. Completely spiral curriculum. I actually like a certain amount of spiral in my curriculum, and my daughter needs it. But I also want my daughter to have a mastery of a concept. TT textbooks jumps from addition, to subtraction, to missing addends, to place value, to line graphs, back to addition, to place value, to fractions, to multiplication, to money, back to subtraction etc. Every single lesson a different concept is being taught, and usually not in a sequential way. The way "mastery" is taught in TT is by having the child answer the same questions over and over again in each lesson. If they don't get it the first time, don't worry. They most certainly are going to circle back around to it again. And again. And again. That terrifies me.

3. TT is behind grade level, and not by a little bit. I'm aware that there are placement tests, but even with the placement test I just could not get the right fit. Since she hadn't yet been exposed to multiplication in her school before I pulled her out, we started with level 3 which introduces multiplication. Holy guacamole. My 5 year-old could do this math! I get that the first couple chapters are easy, for review purposes, but when we are in lesson 23 and still doing 3+5= or lesson 40 with 6+7=? Yikes. I contacted the company and because I had gone past the 30 day guarantee I could not get a refund, but they did let me exchange for level 4. (I have to say, their customer service was beyond excellent.)

I know that a lot of people (and their kids) fervently love Teaching Textbooks, and my post in no way is meant to slight anyone's choice. If TT is what works for you and your child best? Great. I just wish I had had more varied feedback before making my decision.

Good luck with whatever choice you make, and I hope that the program you choose ends up being the right thing for you and your child!

Edited by WhatLight

Since you also asked for reasons why someone doesn't like TT, and not just positive reviews, I thought I would chime in.

My top 3 reasons:

1. The way the lessons are set up. The amount of newly learned problems are very few per lesson. A new concept is introduced each lesson. You and your child watch the lecture which explains the concept. Usually the child enters in some amount of information during the lecture, and then the lesson starts. There are 5 "practice" problems that immediately follow the lecture. Out of these 5 "practice" problems 2 of them relate to the new concept just taught. The other 3 are previously taught concepts. Then there are 22 more questions. Again, only 2 of these questions (out of 22) relate to the newly taught concept.

2. Completely spiral curriculum. I actually like a certain amount of spiral in my curriculum, and my daughter needs it. But I also want my daughter to have a mastery of a concept. TT textbooks jumps from addition, to subtraction, to missing addends, to place value, to line graphs, back to addition, to place value, to fractions, to multiplication, to money, back to subtraction etc. Every single lesson a different concept is being taught, and usually not in a sequential way. The way "mastery" is taught in TT is by having the child answer the same questions over and over again in each lesson. If they don't get it the first time, don't worry. They most certainly are going to circle back around to it again. And again. And again. That terrifies me.

3. TT is behind grade level, and not by a little bit. I'm aware that there are placement tests, but even with the placement test I just could not get the right fit. Since she hadn't yet been exposed to multiplication in her school before I pulled her out, we started with level 3 which introduces multiplication. Holy guacamole. My 5 year-old could do this math! I get that the first couple chapters are easy, for review purposes, but when we are in lesson 23 and still doing 3+5= or lesson 40 with 6+7=? Yikes. I contacted the company and because I had gone past the 30 day guarantee I could not get a refund, but they did let me exchange for level 4. (I have to say, their customer service was beyond excellent.)

I know that a lot of people (and their kids) fervently love Teaching Textbooks, and my post in no way is meant to slight anyone's choice. If TT is what works for you and your child best? Great. I just wish I had had more varied feedback before making my decision.

Good luck with whatever choice you make, and I hope that the program you choose ends up being the right thing for you and your child!

This is very well stated, and it fits our experience to a T. Miss P has been working through TT5 for review on her "independent work" days, and there is not a lesson where she has learned something new. Everything that has been presented has been covered, much more deeply, in MM4.

We used TT5 this year and we supplement with MCP workbook pages for extra practice once a week.

My son is very hard on himself when he makes a mistake. TT allows him to see instantly if it was wrong and he can go back and review so he doesn't make the same mistake on the next problem. For us that is a big plus.

We will be continuing onto TT next year for both boys.

Oh, I was so hoping I could use TT next year - the perfect review program, so i thought. Then I had my son do a sample lesson. And wouldn't you know it, he figured out right away that he could guess at an answer, the program would tell him he got it wrong, and would then offer him two choices. #1) try it again #2) see the answer. Guess what he chose? :glare:

For an unmotivated boy who has a thousand things he'd rather use his brain cells for, TT has an all to convenient way to get out of actually working the problems...

W use it and love it! We used Algebra I one year that my daughter was homeschooled for high school and she went back to Christian school the very next year and had no problem getting right on track with the other kids. We have used TT 3 and TT 4 (this year) and my boys like it. We do supplement for mastery of memorizing the multiplication tables, TT goes over it too fast and they just weren't getting the facts down.

I really dislike teaching math (please give me history, english, literature any day!) so this gets the job done and we are all happy.

:iagree: with all of this.

DS easily tested into TT Prealgebra after MM5 (and could have started TT Algebra, frankly), and at first he was thrilled to have a math program that was so much easier than MM. Math is his least favorite subject and he could do a TT lesson in about a quarter of the time it took him to do a Math Mammoth lesson. But eventually the amount of repetition and the low level of the problem sets made it just seem like pointless busywork, and he asked to go back to MM.

Jackie