Menu

So I have a friend who has unschooled her child and now?

It's amazing how supportive everyone is being of the situation when the mother herself is not happy with her educational method.

Obviously he isn't motivated right now to learn math.

It is absolutely not fair to expect this boy to teach himself math, and whatever else, in one summer. She needs a tutor for him.

In terms of remedial program, I have seen Liping Ma's Knowing Mathematics, which starts with counting in the first book (really). I posted a few pics on this thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3738491

It's amazing how supportive everyone is being of the situation when the mother herself is not happy with her educational method.

It is absolutely not fair to expect this boy to teach himself math, and whatever else, in one summer. She needs a tutor for him.

In terms of remedial program, I have seen Liping Ma's Knowing Mathematics, which starts with counting in the first book (really). I posted a few pics on this thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3738491

Honestly, I think she's correct that this method of homeschooling didn't work for them. But that's water under the bridge. She's now asking the OP for help in what to do. I don't have any advice to add to the great suggestions already in this thread. The only thing I have to say is that depending on how their unschooling worked, there might have to be a big shift in the parent-child dynamic if the boy himself doesn't want to get himself caught up to his peers.

Obviously, if he is extremely motivated, then he can choose one of these suggestions and run with it, esp. if he gets help when he asks for help. But if he's not internally motivated in this subject, then for him to get caught up will mean Mom or Dad or a tutor having to sit down with him for a certain amount of time each day to get the work done. They will have to be willing to do that and to insist on it even if he is not willing initially because it is not a subject he likes.

Honestly, I think she's correct that this method of homeschooling didn't work for them. But that's water under the bridge. She's now asking the OP for help in what to do. I don't have any advice to add to the great suggestions already in this thread. The only thing I have to say is that depending on how their unschooling worked, there might have to be a big shift in the parent-child dynamic if the boy himself doesn't want to get himself caught up to his peers.

Obviously, if he is extremely motivated, then he can choose one of these suggestions and run with it, esp. if he gets help when he asks for help. But if he's not internally motivated in this subject, then for him to get caught up will mean Mom or Dad or a tutor having to sit down with him for a certain amount of time each day to get the work done. They will have to be willing to do that and to insist on it even if he is not willing initially because it is not a subject he likes.

:iagree: well said:001_smile:

I'm not supportive of her educational method. I'm not not supportive of it. I wasn't there. I just think it is not the end of the world, and arithmetic is just not that hard for a bright 7th grader to learn. You are right, a tutor would be fantastic. But if it's not an option, they can still manage.

I'm not supportive of her educational method. I'm not not supportive of it. I wasn't there. I just think it is not the end of the world, and arithmetic is just not that hard for a bright 7th grader to learn. You are right, a tutor would be fantastic. But if it's not an option, they can still manage.

With an unmotivated, math-hating 7th grader unsupervised for the first time because mom is going back to work? I've tutored quite a few kids in math (Jr high and up), and IME math-hating kids are usually math-phobic. And math-phobic kids tend to need a lot of hand-holding and someone to tell them they're on the right track a LOT at first. I have a hard time seeing a kid who hates math and does not think he's good at it sitting down and flying through the rest of arithmetic, basic geometry, and pre-algebra all by himself while mom is at work.

Ya know, I think why some posters are getting a bit testy here is because many of us know that home-schoolers have a bad wrap in PS, and this is why. So hearing about another kid thrown back into PS unprepared makes us groan.

It's great he's doing well in his other courses. Math can be really hard to catch up on however. I mean - you can only introduce so many new concepts at a time.

I don't really think a math tutor is optional at this point. I know it can be a financial hardship - but I don't see hoe an unmotivated kid who dislikes math is going to be able to do this with his mom going back to work so soon.....

Didn't we hear that the mom is returning to work in 3 weeks? She is not going to be able to provide the kind of intensive, focussed help with math that this child needs. Also, I wonder about his buy in. He already hates math. It sounds like he is going to school pretty much without any input about that decision. Is he going to buckle down and study on his own, knowing that he is already profoundly behind? Also, and I say this gingerly, unschooling parents tend to be habitually and as a matter of principle uninsistent. I wonder whether the mom will be able to insist that he learn this stuff--I doubt it--I think that it will go against the grain too much. That's why I think that a math tutor will be crucial--because someone insisting from outside of the family would be better.

:iagree: They need an understanding and efficient tutor.

I meant to mention about the times tables-- if he can't memorize them he can use the vedic system. I can't remember exactly how much of the tables it works for but say you have 8X7, you find the difference from ten, write or mentally envision it like this

8 -2

7 -3

and then you find the difference of either diagonal (5) and then multiply the two digits on the right (6) to get 56. it looks complicated but once you get the hang of it you can do it quickly. There's a book on amazon called speed math with the vedic system. It's simply written and interesting to read.

While I agree that a motivated child could, possibly, catch up on their own during the summer if they wanted, I just cannot see how a math-hating teenage boy is going to be able to catch up independently.

If a tutor isn't a financial option, what about her asking the father to step in and remediate the boy? I know that can be a hard thing to ask, especially if they are in a rough place, but if she can't teach him and can't afford a tutor, there aren't many other options.

He also hates math, which I guess contributes to him being behind and the mom possible just letting it go, figuring once he was old enough, would determine he needed math. At least in the high school years.

Didn't we hear that the mom is returning to work in 3 weeks? She is not going to be able to provide the kind of intensive, focussed help with math that this child needs. ...

That's why I think that a math tutor will be crucial--because someone insisting from outside of the family would be better.

:iagree: I cannot begin to tell you how much I agree with this. There is a deadline here. He hates math, thus self-study while mom's at work is unlikely to be effective. If he goes into school without catching up at least a bit, he may end up stuck in seriously remedial classes, which may not be the best placement math-wise (as he is likely to grasp material quicker than the others in the classes, and end up bored and ironically held back from his potential), and it is also likely to mess up the rest of his schedule. He's going to be significantly better off if he is, say, a year or two behind vs. four or five years behind. It's do-able, assuming no learning disabilities, and it would be well worth the investment. If they cannot pay a tutor, they could look for a friend, someone from their church, a retired person, etc. who may consider doing it for free, as a barter, or for a smaller fee. However, given the deadline and the potential consequences, I'd personally do whatever I could to find someone with the experience and attitude that would make successful progress the most likely.

I do not agree with starting him in a younger grade, because that can't be easily undone.

I am, in general, very against holding kids back for this reason combined with my own bad experiences.

In this case, I think the kid is old enough that he can have input into the situation... with the knowledge that any decision he makes is permanent. Does he want to go into 7th and have lower expectations and a little more leeway? Or into 8th and have more challenge, an earlier graduation date, and possibly an easier time socially depending on where is current friends are?

I went to Khan Academy as many of you suggested. Is there plenty of pratice and automatic grading in this program?

Just not sure Khan covers all he would need, and provide lots of practice and have quizzes and tests?

Khan Academy includes the instructional videos and endless practice problems that are automatically graded. Once you demonstrate consistent proficiency, you move on to the next topic. It does not include tests or quizzes, per se, and I'm not sure why that would be absolutely necessary beyond getting used to the concept of tests and quizzes. You earn "badges" that can be motivating for some people (and meaningless for others). I don't believe it's smart enough to target areas of weakness - ALEKS would be better for that, but is much more expensive.

The instructional style may or may not work for him, but the practice problems could be used to supplement another source of instruction.

Her son would be grade 7(he is the same age as my daughter, they met at a homeschool ice skating get together on Fridays). She has unschooled him from the beginning.

She tells me today that he is going back to public school for grade 8. She has to go back to work full time, and he has been begging to go to school now. Here lies the problem she tells me. He can only do addition, subtraction, and very simple multiplication. He does not know his times table by heart. He does not know fractions other then 1/4, 1/2, and 1. He cannot do any division. Short, or long. Cannot do mixed fractions. Basically he is at about a third grade level in Math. She is panicking because he starts school in September, and knows now, that unschooling didn't work for "her", and she wants to get him caught up by September.

How in the world is she going to do THAT? I told her that maybe she could pick up a Lials Basic College Math book. I don't know. But it sounds like he is going to be on an IEP for math. He is an excellent reader/speller/writer. He has a large vocabulary. He also has not had any formal History or Science other then the Pilgrims, and Nature.

If you were me, what kind of advice would you give her?

Oh no, not the dreaded unschoolers :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: (sorry I couldn't resist :001_smile:)! I was radically unschooled from mid 1st grade through 8th grade and absolutely loved it! During my 8th grade year I decided I wanted to go back to public school to see what it was like and enrolled for 9th grade at the local high school. The adjustment was very easy and any holes I found in my knowledge I quickly taught myself.

If your friend is concerned about her son's math ability I would advise her to first take a big deep breath. Next, I would contact the school her son will be attending and ask to borrow a copy of the math book they will be using in the fall. Then I would figure out what he needed to learn between now and then and work on it every night after work with him.

I'm sorry to hear she didn't feel unschooling worked for her family. Hopefully some day she will look back on it with fond memories of the time she spent with her son.

Marisa

PS Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :001_smile:.