Menu

Nurses, tell me about your favorite OTJ shoes and watches!

How exciting!!

Shoes: Saucony tennis shoes: no foot problems after 12 hrs on my feet. I switched to Dansko clogs though because I have a bad back. Love these even more. Very expensive though.

I wear contacts, but glasses will always give you better vision. Had to have my contacts adjusted 4 times since I'm over 40 and needed to be able to see small things up close very well, such as sutures for removal and small lines on insulin syringes. Finally found a contact that gives me clear vision for both far and near vision.

Hair: cut mine shoulder length. Putting it in a ponytail gave me a headache.

Any water proof watch will do.

Shoes: I had nursemates for clinicals because we had to wear all white shoes. They were very comfy and held up well, but catch on the floor and make me feel like I'm about to fall on my face. Now I wear a pair of Asics Hyper-Rocketgirl shoes that I found at a thrift store brand new for $4 :p. Much more stable, and still comfortable, though the toe is tight enough that I have problems if I don't keep my toenails well trimmed. And much less dorky looking.

Watch: Anything that is easy to read, counts seconds, tolerates liquids, and be cleaned easily. I have a $12 walmart watch with a vinyl band.

I wear glasses. I started out with contacts, but they irritated my eyes too much - I've heard this is common in hospital environments. It's possible that single-use or hydrating lenses would work, but glasses are less fuss and provide a greater degree of eye protection.

Hair: I'd imagine that long enough to be pulled back but short enough that it isn't going to accidentally dangle into anything would be most sanitary. My school's rule was that hair had to be either short enough to not touch the collar or "attached securely to the head" (ie. all hair up in a clip, bun, or the like - no dangling ponytail or braid). Mine is currently long (mid-back), and I wear it in a ponytail without problems.

Hair: I wouldn't cut mine just for clinicals. If I remember correctly though, we had to have ours pulled back, either in a pony or a bun.

Shoes: whatever is most comfy for you. I always wore tennis shoes for clinicals and work. The more supportive, the better!! If you are not used to being on your feet, be warned that they may hurt and ache until you get acclimated to the working conditions. Also, I would not bring your clinical shoes in your house. Could have tons of germs on them. Keep them in the garage or car.

Watch: anything with a second hand. And cheap. It may get ruined over time. I would also recommend perhaps a rubber wrist band, so you can clean it after each clinical with an alcohol or antibacterial wipe.

Contacts/glasses: Never really thought about this. Whatever is most comfy for you. Though glasses would prevent any splashing into your eyes, so that something to think about too.

Do you have instructions on these items? Our program was kind of strict on things like shoes, etc.

Good luck and have fun!! This is the part that your hard work so far turns into reward. I still distinctly remember some of my patients from clinical time.

I wear new balance shoes...nurse mates and rockers hurt my feet. In fact I still have a pair of really cute Mary Jane nurse mates that I wore exactly once and could not tolerate them!

I wear contacts, they don't usually bother me but hospitals are usually low humidity so take eye drops just in case.

I have short hair but in nursing school it was long and I pinned it up. We had to wear nursing caps (gasp) when I went to school!

I don't wear a watch to work...there are clocks with second hands in every room so no real need. We also do all our charting on computer so I don't need one for that either.

I remember lugging a drug book and note cards to every clinical and now they have all that on their iPhones :)

Danskos for shoes for sure!! My hair is long so I always just put it up. I never wore a watch but I worked ICU so everything was monitored and I never needed one. Vitals are typically by machine now too. The only thing I needed a second hand for was IV push meds and I just used the clock on the wall.

I wear contacts, but glasses will always give you better vision. Had to have my contacts adjusted 4 times since I'm over 40...Finally found a contact that gives me clear vision for both far and near vision.

What brand is that contact lens? I am in the process of getting the proper adjustment for my bifocal contacts, but I am afraid that even with the widest range adjustment (ie, for both near and far vision), I will still need readers for fine tiny details. But hey, at least now I can see the food on my plate!

Watch: Anything that is easy to read, counts seconds, tolerates liquids, and be cleaned easily. I have a $12 walmart watch with a vinyl band.

I wear glasses. I started out with contacts, but they irritated my eyes too much - I've heard this is common in hospital environments. It's possible that single-use or hydrating lenses would work, but glasses are less fuss and provide a greater degree of eye protection.

...Also, I would not bring your clinical shoes in your house. Could have tons of germs on them. Keep them in the garage or car...

Contacts/glasses: ...glasses would prevent any splashing into your eyes, so that something to think about too.

Do you have instructions on these items? Our program was kind of strict on things like shoes, etc.

Good luck and have fun!! This is the part that your hard work so far turns into reward. I still distinctly remember some of my patients from clinical time.

I think you gals have sold me on glasses, especially with the splash-guard thought. That chain of infection has been so thoroughly drilled in, my teacher would be proud!!! Time for a new pair anyway.

DD wants me to keep my hair long, so I will go with ponytails/buns for now. I would love one of those adorable pixie haircuts but my face shape is not really suited for it. I was thinking of a bob but I guess I need to leave it long enough to pull back.

As far as shoes, I have a pair of Asics and a pair of Sauconys ('cause one got "lost" in moving and then "found" - I don't have an extravagant shoe wardrobe otherwise!). I will choose one pair and them banish them from the house forevermore. Thanks for mentioning this. BTW, what about your scrubs? Do you find a place to change clothes before coming into your house or stopping off to pick up a gallon of milk at the grocery on the way home?

We have some instructions but only some very specific requirements. For example, watch with a sweep second hand. However, with all the hand washing/infection control procedures, I think a wristwatch may be a pain. Anyone use an old-fashioned type of pocket watch? I do think that much of the time there will be a clock in the room but of course we cannot depend on it. I suppose I could just get an inexpensive waterproof watch and keep it in my pocket.

Thanks for all you've shared, everyone! I am very much looking forward to this next stage of learning.