Menu

Spanish online suggestions -

Here is one:http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/lj/

The also have an interactive video series on the main site. It is not a whole years worth, but My kids thought it was fun.

Some library districts offer mango languages online free if you are a patron. We are fortunate that ours does, so we use that.

Have you looked at the online course from Oklahoma State University? We've been using their German Online course and been pretty pleased with it. (Though my kids have had to learn that they have to do homework, like study vocabulary, if they are going to pass the tests.)

There is a homeschooler discount for the German. Not sure about Spanish.

Have you looked at the online course from Oklahoma State University? We've been using their German Online course and been pretty pleased with it. (Though my kids have had to learn that they have to do homework, like study vocabulary, if they are going to pass the tests.)

There is a homeschooler discount for the German. Not sure about Spanish.

I just sent them an email yesterday. I got a reply back today. It looks like they are changing things a little bit. "Instead of weekly phone conversations one on one with the instructor, students will do the weekly videoconferences- these class meeting times will be posted in August for the fall semester. These meeting times are optional. They will occur once a week and will be between 3 and 7 pm central time and will last 45 minutes to an hour. This will allow students to interact with each other to practice their Spanish. This will be the videoconference format."

I am hesitant to sign up because for us 3 - 7 pm CST is hard becasue dd is involved in soccer twice a week (typicaly 5 - 7:30 pm EST). So, not know the day/time it's difficult to apply for the class. Also, I liked the idea of one-on-one phone conversations (like they've done in years past). But, perhpas that was getting impractical? Also wondering how much time will dd get to converse within 1 hr, if all kids will be interacting??

How does OSU German work?? Do they have videoconference? or phone conversations? Is German a hard language to learn? Would you recommend OSU for German?

Thanks so much for your help,

Sangita

How about Homeschool Spanish Academy. http://www.homeschoolspanishacademy.com/ My daughter is using the once a week option mostly to get her mouth speaking Spanish (instead of just inside her head). They give homework, not a weeks worth, but you could ask with what to supplement it. The instruction is one-on-one. So far, I am pleased with it (just been using them since Feb). HTH.

My daughter took the OSU Spanish 1 and never called for the weekly one-on-one phone conversations.

There are assignments where you are required to call in and record your answers in Spanish. You then get feedback on your pronunciation, etc.

She is back at private school in Spanish 2 and is doing fine. She has no problem communicating in Spanish.

How about Homeschool Spanish Academy. http://www.homeschoolspanishacademy.com/ My daughter is using the once a week option mostly to get her mouth speaking Spanish (instead of just inside her head). They give homework, not a weeks worth, but you could ask with what to supplement it. The instruction is one-on-one. So far, I am pleased with it (just been using them since Feb). HTH.

We are using them too. For us, it's a supplement, so we're going with once a week, one-on-one, mainly for oral practice. However, at the high school level they do have a twice a week option with their own curriculum, if you wanted to use it as your main program.

• 4 months later...
We are using them too. For us, it's a supplement, so we're going with once a week, one-on-one, mainly for oral practice. However, at the high school level they do have a twice a week option with their own curriculum, if you wanted to use it as your main program.

We are also using Homeschool Spanish Academy for junior high, twice a week. It's a lot for junior high, and we might switch to once-a-week after our initial 7 weeks is over. My daughter adores her teacher, and she is learning.

:iagree:

This is my sons second year and we are pleased with his progress and he really enjoys it. Rosa is his teacher and he has really connected with her.

I'm looking for online Spanish I recommendations for our soon-to-be 9th grader. Our local co-op offers once a wk Spanish I class, but due to time constraints we probably can't go that route for dc.

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appeciated!

How about Livemocha.com http://livemocha.com/pages/about-us/

It's not a curriculum. They offer free lessons and paid lessons, but what I like most about this website is the opportunity to interact with native speakers in a "language exchange" (for ex., you record yourself reading dialogue in the language you choose to study and a native speaker gives you feedback, then you might do something similar for someone learning English).

I would say it requires a lot of self-discipline to use this website. I used it over the summer to prepare for teaching Spanish at the co-op, but haven't had the time to do much practice since then.

The site could be used as a supplement (using the flashcards for vocabulary practice). :)