Menu

If you have used a k12 virtual school, please help

My sister would like to homeschool her rising 5th grader. He is quite the mathy kid and she wants to challenge him. However, she really needs a free curriculum and something to do the overall scheduling. K12 virtual academy is an option for her.

The concern I have for her is the math. I know a lot of people have made comments on how awful it is. Is it too hard, boring or

How does K12 math work? Does he just need to answer questions online correctly? If so, couldn't he just use a harder math book on the side? Do you actually have to submit work from the k12 book during the course of the year?

Would it be okay that on his transcripts he looks like he is taking 5th or 6th grade math but in reality she is doing her own thing?

I doubt she will use K12 for more than a year or two. If he thrives being at home, she can eventually do her own individual curriculum (her son is two years younger than mine and can borrow my curriculum when he gets older). Most likely he will go to the local high school that has a great math program.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

I use a K12 in PA. All cybers do their own thing in different states so I can't answer if they will want him to submit anything to them or not.

But the new K12 math is , well, yuck sadly. I'm not thrilled with it at all and that's just with the K level mind you. They used to use Sadlier and Oxford and even that was better than what they have now.

He possibly may like it though, so its hard to say. She could do her own thing , that is possible. I've dropped the K12 math and am using CLE with my 5yr old and am just clicking off the assignments online.

They can try it and see if he likes it. If he does he can do the weekly assessments and test out and get to the level he can work with. Our teacher had said that she has several students working one or two grade levels ahead in some subjects.

Its really up to her how she goes about it. She can figure out how its all set up with her K12 cyber and go from there.

But the new K12 math is , well, yuck sadly. I'm not thrilled with it at all and that's just with the K level mind you. They used to use Sadlier and Oxford and even that was better than what they have now.

:iagree:

My older kids used K12 independently for years, but this year, I decided to put my K into MNVA. K12 still offers the old math program for purchase by independents, but the new math program they created for the charter schools is TERRIBLE. (I could go on and on about just how bad it is, but I won't!)

The math is a deal breaker for us. I've already told them that he won't be re-enrolling next year. I actually worry that continuing to use that math program will put him at a tremendous disadvantage down the road. In order to move into a traditional 1st grade math program, I'll have to do some reteaching to cover all the things that K12 K math *should* have covered.

For the OP, 6th grade math for independents is Pre-Algebra A. Virtual schools use a different course, but I'm not sure how different it is.

K12 5th grade math is terrible. A mathy kid may be able to survive it, but it wouldn't be my first pick....

If she really must have free and she really does need to have it scheduled, then I would use it.....but imo, most people who say they need free and say they need scheduled are just overwhelmed by taking homeschooling on.

Have the charter school give her their password to view the curriculum. It may be acceptable to her.

I'd also show her singapore math....It really isn't that expensive and many families can come up with the money to pay for it by trimming back a bit in other areas of their budget (not all, understandably, but many).

Could you be specific as to exactly what it is lacking or what about it is different from other math programs?

I have the 6th grade Fundamentals of Geometry and Algebra in front of me. It is a basal textbook that contains seven chapters and a chapter review each semester.

First Semester:

Problem Solving

Distance: Addition Equations

Area: Multiplication Equations

Working with Rational Numbers (this chapter is actually fractions)

Solids

Comparisons: Ratios

Angles and Circles

Semester Review

Second Semester:

Probability

Statistics

The Second Dimension (this is the coordinate plane)

Rates

Working with Positives and Negatives

Making and Moving Figures (translation, reflection, rotation)

Primes, Patterns, Puzzles

Semester Review

It is difficult to get a feel for Fundamentals of Geometry and Algebra by looking through the book, because so much of it is online. However, the glaring omission is decimals.

(If children doing 3rd grade math should master single multiplication and division facts, then children in 4th grade math should master multiple digit multiplication and division. Children in 5th grade math should master fractions and children in 6th grade should master decimals and percents. Children in 7th grade math should bring all of these skills together to cover a variety of topics including order of operations, basic geometry, beginning work with variables, exponents etc. At this point some kids can go on to Algebra 1 and others will need another year of practice before beginning Algebra 1. You may nitpick the order or grade of coverage, but there is no doubt that these are the foundational skills that will carry you through high school math.)

So, I am concerned that there are only 2 lessons on division of fractions and they are in the first semester. In the section on ratios and the section on probability representing a number as a fraction, decimal, and percent is covered, but there isn't a single lesson devoted to the four operations with decimals.

It looks like not only is it a mile wide and an inch deep but it also omits or barely skims basic skills in order to cover that mile wide group of topics. However, please take all of this with a grain of salt. It is difficult to see the big picture of a program when you just have one text.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

I ran off on a tangent reviewing the 6th grade math and didn't answer your questions.

The concern I have for her is the math. I know a lot of people have made comments on how awful it is. Is it too hard, boring or

How does K12 math work? Does he just need to answer questions online correctly? If so, couldn't he just use a harder math book on the side? Do you actually have to submit work from the k12 book during the course of the year?

Would it be okay that on his transcripts he looks like he is taking 5th or 6th grade math but in reality she is doing her own thing?

There are online and offline components. What needs to be submitted will depend on the virtual school's requirements. I don't know about a using a more difficult text. The 6th grade text looks plenty difficult in both the topics covered and the challenge level of the problems. If I needed to go this route, I would want to make absolutely certain that basic skills were being mastered. It looks like this is what they skimp on.

HTH-

Mandy

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer.

Mandy, I appreciate the help. I don't think my sister is concerned with the method of teaching or the actual textbook, just that it isn't too easy for him. He seems to learn from anything. I believe she is okay with worksheet/textbook format.

She wants her son to go at a speed that is right for him. He masters so quickly and gets bored doing things over and over while the rest of the class catches up.

I talked to K12 and learned some interesting things. If your kid is getting all 100s, you will get a phone call to verify that your child is doing the work.

I asked about this and the lady said that curriculum adjustments are made with the assigned teacher.

In our K12 charter if you finish a math book early, they will go ahead and order you the next level. You can absolutely work at your own pace.

My problem with 5th grade K12 is that some of the explanations are wonky (ie "friendly numbers" for estimation) and that at times the expectations are not developmentally appropriate.

• 1 month later...

I have to chime in here. My kids LOVE K12 Math through Virtual Academy and in fact are thriving in it! I think that they do an excellent job in teaching it. This curriculum is Mastery Based, so your student needs to master the concepts before moving onto the next thing. My DD is in 6th Grade math because she finished her 5th Grade math early. By this level they expect you to have mastered ALL of the basics...fractions, decimals, addition, subtraction , multiplication, and division. Decimals are covered in 5th Grade math.

Now, both of my kids may not like math (one does and one does not) but they grasp concepts easily and tend to excel in math, so I can say from that stand point I think it is an excellent program. It is very different from the way I learned math growing up, but it is a good, solid program.

Personally, I do not understand why everyone dislikes this so much???

I don't care for the first grade math. I think the sequence is off. I would have arranged it differently and I did do some things out of the order they had. I don't exactly remember what it was since that was six months ago. I also dont' use the textbook, I explain things in my own way. Sometimes the textbook gives weird reasoning and methods to learn an operation...along with lots of busywork not necessary for my son.

I have to chime in here. My kids LOVE K12 Math through Virtual Academy and in fact are thriving in it! I think that they do an excellent job in teaching it. This curriculum is Mastery Based, so your student needs to master the concepts before moving onto the next thing. My DD is in 6th Grade math because she finished her 5th Grade math early. By this level they expect you to have mastered ALL of the basics...fractions, decimals, addition, subtraction , multiplication, and division. Decimals are covered in 5th Grade math.

Now, both of my kids may not like math (one does and one does not) but they grasp concepts easily and tend to excel in math, so I can say from that stand point I think it is an excellent program. It is very different from the way I learned math growing up, but it is a good, solid program.

Personally, I do not understand why everyone dislikes this so much???

The 6th grade text is one of those programs that is a mile wide and an inch deep. It covers a lot of topics, but I don't see the practice and review that most children need in order to achieve mastery. So, although the skills practice is negligible, the table of contents looks impressive. However, if you have a child who absorbs concepts easily and doesn't need much practice or review, then it should be fine. On the other hand, if not, you may need to supplement.

HTH-

Mandy

Actual transcripts are not kept until high school. His high school transcript won't show any grades that he earned before then. :-)

I wish I could tell you something positive but Math+ is HORRID. Like others have said, it truly is "a mile wide and an inch deep".

On the plus side, they could use something else for math and just mark off the VA assessments.

I talked to K12 and learned some interesting things. If your kid is getting all 100s, you will get a phone call to verify that your child is doing the work.

I have never heard that before. Honestly when I was going through and marking the assessments, I would usually make at least one careless mistake and get something wrong.:tongue_smilie:

Could she get MM? It is very inexpensive and written to the student.

From what I understand about Math+ is each stare is different. So my kids are using the Oregon version. I am wondering how much the curriculum changes from state to state. I was told each state has different standards and the curriculum aligns to the standard of your state. Also, my kids do not need a ton of practice or review so formusnthe curriculum is a perfect fit.

We used K12 through OHVA for K this year, and I have to say that I thought the math was good. My son liked it and did well with it. The only thing I thought was odd was that they taught estimation in K. I think that in K kids are still learning what actual numbers represent, so I just skipped those lessons.

If she really must have free and she really does need to have it scheduled, then I would use it.....but imo, most people who say they need free and say they need scheduled are just overwhelmed by taking homeschooling on.

That may be the initial reason but for people like me who are organization impaired and very busy its a great option. I know honestly with myself that if I don't have that level of scheduling/structure I won't buy the program because it won't get done, I literally need/want open and go stuff even in our 6th year of hs'ing.