Menu

When do you sell a curriculum?

Aspasia

I have purchased a few things that I just don't love, namely, Happy Phonics, OPGTR, and FIAR. Part of me wants to just sell them because I hate clutter. But part of me wants to keep them just in case they're the "right" thing for a future child. I am at the very, very beginning of my homeschool journey, after all.

What do you all do?

I sell things only if I have changed my philosophy about said subject.

For example, I am now a big believer in Asian math and the why behind algorithims. I sold off my other math program that I had used because it just taught traditional American math.

Also, I sold off a phonics program I used because it marked the words in certain shades of gray and black to show children when letters were silent or made their long/short vowel sound. While the program taught my dd to read very well, she had a tough time transitioning to real books that weren't marked. I didn't want to do that to my other children.

That's the main reason why I sell things.

HTH.

*If* you have the room to keep them, I would keep them *unless* you need that money to buy something else your 4yo could use *now* Ykwim?

But I am a keeping-type person, lol.

I agree. We have limited $ ans space so most things from this year will go when we finds is 4 year's yyounger than my oldest so we have sveral years before he qould need them anyway.

Don't sell ANYTHING! You have no idea how often you will want to reference a curriculum or just use a page. Or THINK you want to use it again, only to decide AGAIN that you don't want to use it, but you need to SEE it to know that.

I scoop up used items here, and can't tell you how many times the seller has asked me if I want to sell it back to them :-)

Do NOT sell unless you HAVE to. The titles you are mentioning, especially.

I have only sold one curriculum item. It did not work for my son, but it also did not work for me. I could not teach the curriculum! We tried a couple lessons and I wanted to pull my hair out! I bought something new and loved it and it worked for my son so I sold the first one.

If it just did not work for one child, I would keep it in case it worked for another child. I have limited space, but I will make room for good deals on curriculum ;)

I have purchased a few things that I just don't love, namely, Happy Phonics, OPGTR, and FIAR. Part of me wants to just sell them because I hate clutter. But part of me wants to keep them just in case they're the "right" thing for a future child. I am at the very, very beginning of my homeschool journey, after all.

What do you all do?

I have twins, and no other children, so after we finish our year, I plan to sell it, since I won't use it again. However, I have the entire sonlight A (Kindergarten) sitting here and haven't sold it yet, even though we are half way through core B. I guess I haven't' found the avenue yet to sell it- website, craigs list, ebay, etc...still pondering the where, not the if.

I'm a keeper. I have three kids to homeschool and I will buy new/different things as I like them or see the use for them...but I'll probably keep everything non-consumable until I'm done schooling my youngest. I research and borrow and ILL as much as possible, so very very rarely do I have anything I just don't like completely. I will make anything work! The constant buying/selling/shipping/reading/starting over would drive me insane.

If I don't like it I sell it. Mom needs to like a curriculum in order for it to get used. I'd rather use my money and space for things I really want.

The only things I hang onto are good buys/rare finds that I can realistically see us using in the future.

Edited by birchbark

I've sold some things (e.g. Singapore's Early Bird math workbooks) that I just knew I would never use. I just didn't see myself asking my kid to point out the bigger item -- we already talk about this in everyday life and it just didn't appeal to me. It went out of print or changed or something and I read some posts on here where people were talking about how they missed it, so I said, oh! I should sell it! And I did! I was glad about that.

I have also bought some old vintage or other popular hs items that weren't for me and sold them. I only do this if I can recoup some of the money. There's no sense selling something for 20c, I may as well donate it.

I sold a few other books (I remember a poetry volume! And a certain well known poetry memorization porgram) that just were not what I wanted. Other than that, I have kept a loooot of stuff out of inertia, I think. One of these days I may purge some.

Don't sell ANYTHING! You have no idea how often you will want to reference a curriculum or just use a page. Or THINK you want to use it again, only to decide AGAIN that you don't want to use it, but you need to SEE it to know that.

:iagree:

Every now and then I want to declutter and sell things off. My husband's been great about encouraging me to keep the stuff, unless I really have no use for it at all. Like Hunter said, sometimes you need to look at stuff to think things through.

I use a kids size pretend "wheelie rubbish bin" I have two, one for charity and one for selling. When they are full (which takes a little bit of time) I then re-go through it, make sure there is nothing by then I definitely want to keep, then either sell/donate the rest.

This gives me a little time to ponder whether I would still like to keep it, or may use it in the future. Sort of like a holding spot for a couple of months, a "cool down" period if you will. A few things will get put in there at the heat of the moment ("grrrr.....I don't know why I ever bought this! gggrrrrr") and then when I look at in a couple of months when the bin is full, I have fresh eyes "Oh I could use this for....instead". The bin just doesn't hold curricula, but also holds books & clothing (right now it also has a Silk & Velvety cord Mei Tai Baby Carrier for example), so if it were just for curriculum, I would need a much smaller box, elsewise it could end up taking years to fill it LOL.

So summary is, I suggest putting it aside a couple of months (say till Jul/Aug) then deciding.