Menu

We are running into a road block here as we enter the higher grades of 9th-12th Math

We are running into a road block here as we enter the higher grades of 9th-12th Math

I have to drop out beyond the first part of Algebra.

My husband works all day and is teaching math at night.

We are using SOS but for the high school years, I feel we need some kind of DVD program they can watch that will help teach

Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Trig.

What do you use?

Do you use the Khan Academy

SAXON DIVE

Teaching Textbooks,

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

My ds is in 7th. We use Teaching Textbooks. He struggles in math & I like the fact that they have solutions for every problem. He gets 2 opportunities to do the problem, if he gets it wrong, he watches the step by step solution. It doesn't hurt that it grades everything for you, too! :001_smile:

BJU for math!!!! The best classes are Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. It costs a bit, but you get a 45 minute class every day. Lessons are introduced, problems are worked in the class, concepts are reviewed, homework is assigned (no wondering what problems to do), tests are given and gone over, with grading helps. All I had to do was grade tests and provide the T/E occasionally for step by step solutions. Odds are in back of the book to correct, and the even answers are provided at the beginning of class so your students can grade their homework if you wish. (Or you can correct it using the T/E).

I remember the math, but couldn't teach it very well. So having a real math teacher really helped.

Videotext Algebra and Geometry worked well for us. The teaching on the DVDs is thorough and careful, and complete solutions are given for all the exercises, quizzes and tests. I watched all the videos along with my kids and that was helpful. They also have good customer/student support if you should have a problem or your student gets stuck on a concept. Each is a 2-year program, and between them they cover all of Alg 1 & 2, Geometry, Trig and Precalc.

Derek Owens! :) Yes, um, I do feel like I've become his personal cheerleader -- why do you ask? ;) But really, he's wonderful and his online set-up is easy to use and just makes a lot of sense. Kids watch videos online and take notes (you print or order from Lulu -- often cheaper than printing your own -- the fill-in-the-blanks notes, so it's a good transition for kids who haven't taken notes in class in the past), then do practice problems, then homework problems to turn in (mail, fax, or scan and email). Derek then grades and returns the homework. He also grades the tests and answers questions via email. He sends parents and kids (depending on what email addresses you provide him) grade updates every time a homework or test grade is entered.

His lectures really do manage to make complex concepts clear and approachable. He provides a sample syllabus, but it's up to you and your student if you want to go faster or slower.

Ds has done his geometry, algebra II, and physics courses so far. We plan to finish out his math sequence.