Menu

Obese mom in pregnancy = Child with Autism???

A new study has just been released. http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/09/11061081-obese-moms-may-be-more-likely-to-have-autistic-child-study-suggests?lite

I think a lot more research is needed, but I can see how diabetes and high blood pressure could cause problems for a fetus. I would be interested to see if normal weight mothers who are diabetic (Type 1) have a higher incidence of autistic children, or if this only seems to be happening with Type 2 diabetes.

I hope someone is willing to do extensive research in this area, because I think that possibly some cases of autism could be prevented if these theories hold up under rigorous scientific scrutiny. I also think there are MANY causes and factors contributing to autism and certainly not all cases would be prevented, even if this theory does pan out. And it definitely needs more work and examination than this one study.

Well, I wonder if it has to do with Insulin. If they studied that, it would make sense if a normal weight mom had an autistic child, too.