Menu

Art program that corresponds w/ History cycles?

alisoncooks

...other than Draw Write Now? (which may have it's place, but --from what I see-- is not an art program but a copywork/drawing program.)

I'm wondering if there is a ready-made Art program that matches up with the time periods from the 4-yr. history cycle? One that studies art styles/masters from each period, as well as trying some hands-on experimenting with those styles. (E.g. for ancient Egypt, study hieroglyphics, the decoration/design of a sarcophagus, any known Egyptian artists...then we make our own, make paper from scratch, those things.)

Does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure this would be reasonably simple to put together, but I'd hate to reinvent the wheel, KWIM? If it's out there, I'd like to see it! :) Thanks.

I have been looking at Artistic Pursuits: K-3 level 2 for Middle ages

CBD has all of them so you can look them up.

The Artistic Pursuits website has kits to buy with each level also, and a link to Blick for packages as well.

Drawing and write Through History series is art and cursive writing as well.

The drawing is much harder than the Draw Write Now series.

Handle on the Arts?

Heard about it here, but haven't seen it myself.

That is what I was going to suggest.

I have used one of their programs and am about to start a second one this upcoming term. Love them!

I found it a bit overwhelming, at first, to implement. Then I finally dived into it. I did end up setting up a file box with hanging file folders so I had everything laid out by week. This helped keep me organized and on track.

We are loving A Child's History of Art. You can see previews for the painting and architecture books on Christianbook.com. It did require a bit of work from me in the beginning, going through all three books to put them in an appropriate sequence but it is incredibly engaging and the kids enjoy the projects and art cards. I supplement with art books from different countries/periods and we add in other projects from the SOTW AG and other sources. Also, I consider this more as an enrichment to correlate with history and teach about culture than as art instruction proper. The kids take an art class and we do other stuff to learn about technique.