Menu

Need ideas for science program at church camp

I have agreed to teach a "weird science" track at the children's church camp this summer. I'll have children who have completed 2nd-6th grades. I need activities to fill up 45 minutes for 3 days. I want it to all be hands-on; it's not supposed to be "schooly". Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks for that book idea, but I think we are just looking for lots of hands-on science. They will be getting lots of Bible teaching through large and small groups in the morning and evening, so we don't necessarily have to do a Bible lesson along with the science. I will mention that the science is how it is because that's how God made it. I do want to make sure they know that everything points to the Creator and that science and God do not need to (and shouldn't) be separated.

I'm picturing keeping the children busy actually DOING science, not just watching a demonstration with a lesson.

Some ideas I've had:

learn about acid/bases and play with litmus paper or red cabbage indicator

make a vinegar/baking soda volcano

play with cornstarch and water

coke and mentos

egg into a bottle (where you place a hard-boiled egg onto the mouth of a bottle and throw a match into the bottle and the egg is sucked in)

It's looking like we'll end up doing a hodge-podge of stuff each day. If anyone has more ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Chemistry Activities:

ACS Kids & Chemistry Activity Kits were specially created for chemists volunteering in elementary and middle school classrooms. The kits will help you to introduce developmentally appropriate science concepts to students in your area.

- Chemistry's Rainbow (grades 3-8)

- Jiggle Gels (3-5)

- What's New CO2 (4-6)

Physics Quests for grades 6-9

The Cub Scouts always have to bring a raw egg packaged in a box 5" square?? with whatever they want to insulate it enclosed in there, and then they go to the top of the bleachers and drop them to see which ones were packed the best and didn't break.

Thanks for that book idea, but I think we are just looking for lots of hands-on science. They will be getting lots of Bible teaching through large and small groups in the morning and evening, so we don't necessarily have to do a Bible lesson along with the science. I will mention that the science is how it is because that's how God made it. I do want to make sure they know that everything points to the Creator and that science and God do not need to (and shouldn't) be separated.

I'm picturing keeping the children busy actually DOING science, not just watching a demonstration with a lesson.

Some ideas I've had:

learn about acid/bases and play with litmus paper or red cabbage indicator

make a vinegar/baking soda volcano

play with cornstarch and water

coke and mentos

egg into a bottle (where you place a hard-boiled egg onto the mouth of a bottle and throw a match into the bottle and the egg is sucked in)

It's looking like we'll end up doing a hodge-podge of stuff each day. If anyone has more ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I think your hodge-podge sounds like fun!:D

Have you checked out the Steve Spangler site? They have some fun stuff there. Although, I don't know what kind of budget you're working with...

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/category/classroomkits

I don't know what kind of a budget I'm working with either. I do need to keep it as inexpensive as I can though. They strive to keep this camp as affordable as possible, so I need to keep it pretty cheap so they don't feel the need to raise prices next year.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I've also been looking at homesciencetools.com and they have a lot of great ideas.

I'm currently boiling some eggs to try out the egg-in-a-bottle activity. My dc are excited that they get to be the guinea pigs; I need to try everything out myself before making plans for camp! (Although camp is still over 2 months away, I'll drive myself crazy thinking about it until I have at least a loose plan!)

Speaking of home science tools...

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/science-projects/c/1072/

Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag would be fun for a summer camp. It would be fun to "test" at home too.

We've done this one at home, and it is fun. I probably won't do it at camp though, because between 3 meals and 3 snacks and lots of desserts, the children are already eating all.day.long. In fact, I was originally supposed to do the cooking track, but when I mentioned to dh how much food they are already eating, he agreed that we don't need more excuses to eat. So, I suggested science instead. And no, my dh has nothing to do with the menus. (This is a multi-church camp.) If he did, I would likely use my influence to cut down the amount of sugar consumed drastically. But since I have no control over that, I just have to let go for a few days and trust my dc to make good choices.