Menu

Do you have a favorite student planner or do you make your own?

I print the top picture on this link for both of my logic stage kids. I don't fill the whole thing out though, just a few subjects. We have a mini-conference on Monday where all three of us sit at the table with our own planners in front of us, setting weekly goals and writing them down. (Mine looks like this one inside.)

I make my own. I have a basic template, then fill it in at the beginning of the year. There's a lot of cutting and pasting involved... These are spiral bound. When open all the way, the spiral binding is along the bottom of the pages below, then the opposite page is for kids to fill in additional homework, details, etc.

Here are examples of 8th and 5th grades...

318259_10150275946155878_688000877_7950182_2974128_n.jpg

321390_10150275946090878_688000877_7950179_7879301_n.jpg

301518_10150275977575878_688000877_7950480_7078192_n.jpg

I make my own. I have a basic template, then fill it in at the beginning of the year. There's a lot of cutting and pasting involved... These are spiral bound.

Thanks for sharing! I am in the process of typing and binding, so this was very inspirational.

Back to work!

Mandy

Abbeyej, what happens if your child goes through the curriculum slower/ faster than you have planned?

Also, do you pre plan all of your field trip days/vacation days in the planner as well?

Have you ever had to reprint your planner mid year?

Well, I think a lot of this has to do with the age and maturity of students. It's very difficult to predict exactly how quickly a young student still mastering a variety of *skills* will progress in many subjects. You might well need to set aside one text for a little while and supplement with something else to help a child grasp a concept, or you might wake up one day to find that a child seems to have miraculously grasped something and is ready to fly ahead.

If you look at the bottom image that I posted, that's my fifth grader's schedule. You'll notice that for Teaching Textbooks, it doesn't specify a lesson number. I wasn't sure how quickly dd would progress, so I simply noted that she should do a lesson (or two) each day. At times I have put something like "Horizons _____" in the planner so that I could record the lesson number after the fact.

Every now and then something doesn't go as planned. We just make a note of it in the planner. The space on the facing page for notes, etc, is useful for that. If it's within the same week though, I don't worry about it.

I do plan vacation days ahead of time. My husband is a professor, the kids take outside classes, etc, so our schedule is in part dictated by outside factors. When the kids were very small, we could be more flexible. Now I *try* to stick to the schedule as planned from the beginning. After years of home schooling, I also know reasonably well where we're going to need some breaks. I know we can generally power through from our start date (same as dh's) to Thanksgiving without significant breaks. I know that winter is tougher, so I plan more breaks -- in part based on outside schedules. I know that dh's spring break and the spring break for all of our outside classes are a week apart, so I plan two light weeks and a complete break week in that period because it works well for us -- and gives us energy to power through the last 6-8 weeks of the year.

But things happen. An unexpected field trip opportunity. An illness. A visit from Grandma. Having the schedule for the whole year helps prevent me from taking so many small breaks that we get to April and realize we still have 1/3 of our books to complete! I *hate* feeling so behind like that -- I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel at that point! So if we take a day or two or three off for whatever reason, I try to get us back on track as quickly as possible. If it's just a day or two to make up, we can spread it over the next couple of days and it's not bad. Making up missed days at the end of the year is wretched! :)

You'll see that my 5th grader's schedule is really planned day-by-day. My 8th grader's is mostly schedule by the week. "Accomplish these things in history, these things in science" etc... Over the course of these middle years, I try to move my kids from being told what to do each day to planning their own weeks (with my supervision) so that they take more and more ownership for planning and completing work. It's not a matter of tossing them in the deep end. Some subjects are scheduled day-by-day for a longer time than others. As kids take over, I ask them to bring me an assignment sheet at the beginning of the week and tell me their strategy for that week. Notes can be made on the facing page.

Part of the reason all of this works for me is because I am NOT a box-checker. I tend toward a certain level of laziness and disorganization. ;) Planning so carefully from the beginning of the year really helps me to stay on track. And I have no compunctions about making changes as necessary. Lists help me *think* about what I'm going to do, but once I've made them, I don't feel compelled to stick to them absolutely perfectly... (My husband always used to mock me for making grocery lists and leaving them at home. But I didn't *need* the list at the store -- I needed the list to help me organize my thoughts about what I would need for the coming week. Once I'd made the list, I understood the goals and didn't need to reference it so much.)

Someone with a different personality might well find such a specific plan for the year overwhelming, or the compulsion to do everything *on* the right day *every*single*time* overly burdensome. That would be counter-productive.

But for me, planning it all day-by-day means we are significantly more likely to finish everything I want to finish in a timely manner. :)

For younger kids, I've found that making the whole planner on the computer and printing week-by-week works well. I can make any changes as necessary. By logic stage, I want the kids to be more and more responsible for *completing* work (with my participation and oversight). Of course, by that time they're past much of the "skill" work and into "content" work, which is much more predictable in the amount of time it will take. That's when I start printing and binding our planners at the beginning of the year.

If a kid happens to work ahead, we just flip through the book and check things off as they're done. If a kid finishes the poetry book or government text before the end of the year, that's perfectly alright with me. :) If we get behind in a subject, I sit down at the beginning of each week and say, "Okay, how can we structure this week to help you get caught back up?"

Well, I think a lot of this has to do with the age and maturity of students. It's very difficult to predict exactly how quickly a young student still mastering a variety of *skills* will progress in many subjects. You might well need to set aside one text for a little while and supplement with something else to help a child grasp a concept, or you might wake up one day to find that a child seems to have miraculously grasped something and is ready to fly ahead.

If you look at the bottom image that I posted, that's my fifth grader's schedule. You'll notice that for Teaching Textbooks, it doesn't specify a lesson number. I wasn't sure how quickly dd would progress, so I simply noted that she should do a lesson (or two) each day. At times I have put something like "Horizons _____" in the planner so that I could record the lesson number after the fact.

Every now and then something doesn't go as planned. We just make a note of it in the planner. The space on the facing page for notes, etc, is useful for that. If it's within the same week though, I don't worry about it.

I do plan vacation days ahead of time. My husband is a professor, the kids take outside classes, etc, so our schedule is in part dictated by outside factors. When the kids were very small, we could be more flexible. Now I *try* to stick to the schedule as planned from the beginning. After years of home schooling, I also know reasonably well where we're going to need some breaks. I know we can generally power through from our start date (same as dh's) to Thanksgiving without significant breaks. I know that winter is tougher, so I plan more breaks -- in part based on outside schedules. I know that dh's spring break and the spring break for all of our outside classes are a week apart, so I plan two light weeks and a complete break week in that period because it works well for us -- and gives us energy to power through the last 6-8 weeks of the year.

But things happen. An unexpected field trip opportunity. An illness. A visit from Grandma. Having the schedule for the whole year helps prevent me from taking so many small breaks that we get to April and realize we still have 1/3 of our books to complete! I *hate* feeling so behind like that -- I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel at that point! So if we take a day or two or three off for whatever reason, I try to get us back on track as quickly as possible. If it's just a day or two to make up, we can spread it over the next couple of days and it's not bad. Making up missed days at the end of the year is wretched! :)

You'll see that my 5th grader's schedule is really planned day-by-day. My 8th grader's is mostly schedule by the week. "Accomplish these things in history, these things in science" etc... Over the course of these middle years, I try to move my kids from being told what to do each day to planning their own weeks (with my supervision) so that they take more and more ownership for planning and completing work. It's not a matter of tossing them in the deep end. Some subjects are scheduled day-by-day for a longer time than others. As kids take over, I ask them to bring me an assignment sheet at the beginning of the week and tell me their strategy for that week. Notes can be made on the facing page.

Part of the reason all of this works for me is because I am NOT a box-checker. I tend toward a certain level of laziness and disorganization. ;) Planning so carefully from the beginning of the year really helps me to stay on track. And I have no compunctions about making changes as necessary. Lists help me *think* about what I'm going to do, but once I've made them, I don't feel compelled to stick to them absolutely perfectly... (My husband always used to mock me for making grocery lists and leaving them at home. But I didn't *need* the list at the store -- I needed the list to help me organize my thoughts about what I would need for the coming week. Once I'd made the list, I understood the goals and didn't need to reference it so much.)

Someone with a different personality might well find such a specific plan for the year overwhelming, or the compulsion to do everything *on* the right day *every*single*time* overly burdensome. That would be counter-productive.

But for me, planning it all day-by-day means we are significantly more likely to finish everything I want to finish in a timely manner. :)

For younger kids, I've found that making the whole planner on the computer and printing week-by-week works well. I can make any changes as necessary. By logic stage, I want the kids to be more and more responsible for *completing* work (with my participation and oversight). Of course, by that time they're past much of the "skill" work and into "content" work, which is much more predictable in the amount of time it will take. That's when I start printing and binding our planners at the beginning of the year.

If a kid happens to work ahead, we just flip through the book and check things off as they're done. If a kid finishes the poetry book or government text before the end of the year, that's perfectly alright with me. :) If we get behind in a subject, I sit down at the beginning of each week and say, "Okay, how can we structure this week to help you get caught back up?"

I think you are my long lost twin. You have helped me more than you can know.

I do plan vacation days ahead of time. My husband is a professor, the kids take outside classes, etc, so our schedule is in part dictated by outside factors. When the kids were very small, we could be more flexible. Now I *try* to stick to the schedule as planned from the beginning. After years of home schooling, I also know reasonably well where we're going to need some breaks. I know we can generally power through from our start date (same as dh's) to Thanksgiving without significant breaks. I know that winter is tougher, so I plan more breaks -- in part based on outside schedules. I know that dh's spring break and the spring break for all of our outside classes are a week apart, so I plan two light weeks and a complete break week in that period because it works well for us -- and gives us energy to power through the last 6-8 weeks of the year

Abbey, thank you for posting your details. I've had visions of your children never being behind or your plans changing, and your schedule never having to be tweaked.

I'm working on the schedule for next year and I'm debating on how to organize my planner.

ETA: It must be a google thing. I can see the pages in Firefox.

Edited by elegantlion

... I've had visions of your children never being behind or your plans changing, and your schedule never having to be tweaked...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The thing with the schedule is that it helps us get back on track quickly when we do fall off. Which is inevitable!

I have found google documents a great tool for doing my lesson plans. I did a simple Spread sheet with the subjects down the side and day of the week across the top. Each of my kids access their lesson plans via their gmail acct. I can alter plans at any time and include links to where I want them to go. I also print out a hard copy for each of them to but in a their binders.

Here is a sample from this week (Monday we had several appts., so I altered the schedule):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LCAwwjqH7y-NrTs2q5_95mXB0kZ3QzjkCwmWOgQk--M/edit

After years of typing out our schedules, I finally got an ipad. We use the Paperless app, but there are quite a few options. Love, love, love it.

Hmm...we bought the boys a Kindle Fire for reading (90% of their reading is classics so this works out WONDERFULLY). I hadn't thought about using it for their planner. The ipad is more for work purposes for dh.

I have been using the planners from URthemom.com

We love them! They are not fancy, but get the job done. They have folders inside of the planner for extra work, or notes. I get them each year at their spring sale for 12 dollars each. It would cost me more than that to print up and bind my own. They have a highschool one (love it!) and an elementary school one. It gives you 40 weeks to plan for the year with room for grades, books read, and extra activities to be done. There is also room for notes.

Dee :)

Forgot to mention that the 12 spring sale ones that I get are black and white on the inside. I see no reason for the color. ;)

Edited by deeinfl

We love them! They are not fancy, but get the job done. They have folders inside of the planner for extra work, or notes. I get them each year at their spring sale for 12 dollars each. It would cost me more than that to print up and bind my own. They have a highschool one (love it!) and an elementary school one. It gives you 40 weeks to plan for the year with room for grades, books read, and extra activities to be done. There is also room for notes.

Forgot to mention that the 12 spring sale ones that I get are black and white on the inside. I see no reason for the color. ;)

We have used the same for years. :)

Those are the planners we use! I linked them in an earlier post. I didn't know about the sale?!! Has it happened for this year yet?

After years of typing out our schedules, I finally got an ipad. We use the Paperless app, but there are quite a few options. Love, love, love it.

I just checked this out after seeing your post, downloaded it, and tried it. THIS is what I have been looking for. It is so simple, and does what I need it to do.

I use a printed grid from Word for our two-week schedule, but this is what I have been looking for-- simple, works well, does what I need it to do.

Thank you!!

I have found google documents a great tool for doing my lesson plans. I did a simple Spread sheet with the subjects down the side and day of the week across the top. Each of my kids access their lesson plans via their gmail acct. I can alter plans at any time and include links to where I want them to go. I also print out a hard copy for each of them to but in a their binders.

This is such a neat idea! My daughter could access her lesson schedule on her computer, AND my husband could also see what we're doing each week. I love that you can insert links (though I'll have to learn exactly how to do that!) and that if I need to make last-minute changes it wouldn't be problematic like it is with a paper planner. Thanks so much for mentioning this!

This looks like a simple to-do list type app. Is there more to it that I'm missing?

We started using the student planners from A Plan in Place, last year. We'll re-order this year. They've added a deluxe student version which looks great for high school. I also just ordered their new Mom's Planner. It arrived today and I'm in love. Their planners are customizable and affordable and have worked great for us.

http://www.aplaninplace.net/

No, I don't work for them or receive any perks. The owners do not even know I exist. I just saw the post and thought someone else might be interested.

We love scholaric.com which is only $1 per month per student. You can bump incomplete assignments to the next day or move assignments forward in time if they are completed quicker than planned. You can set vacation days to be automatically skipped in the planning, and you can plan a whole year of a Lesson based program, like Teaching Textbooks or BJU- by typing in brackets in the Lesson assignment box and repeating the lesson the appropriate number of times on the repetition tab. (Lesson [1-165] with repeat 165 on the repetition tab gets you Lesson 1, Lesson 2, and so on till the end of the year). You define the days of the week you plan to schedule each subject.

This also provides a gradebook and period report and will enable you to track hours/minutes if needed.

We love scholaric.com which is only $1 per month per student. You can bump incomplete assignments to the next day or move assignments forward in time if they are completed quicker than planned. You can set vacation days to be automatically skipped in the planning, and you can plan a whole year of a Lesson based program, like Teaching Textbooks or BJU- by typing in brackets in the Lesson assignment box and repeating the lesson the appropriate number of times on the repetition tab. (Lesson [1-165] with repeat 165 on the repetition tab gets you Lesson 1, Lesson 2, and so on till the end of the year). You define the days of the week you plan to schedule each subject.

This also provides a gradebook and period report and will enable you to track hours/minutes if needed.

:iagree: We love it, too. I also include chores and outside activities. Ds loves knowing exactly what he'll be doing each day and enjoys checking off completed assignments. Makes him feel productive and helps him plan his free time.

We started using the student planners from A Plan in Place, last year. We'll re-order this year. They've added a deluxe student version which looks great for high school. I also just ordered their new Mom's Planner. It arrived today and I'm in love. Their planners are customizable and affordable and have worked great for us.

No, I don't work for them or receive any perks. The owners do not even know I exist. I just saw the post and thought someone else might be interested.

Not a bad price for something that customizable. Those look pretty neat!

Not a bad price for something that customizable. Those look pretty neat!

My friend used them first. Since I'm super frugal and have limped through several years with my own planning sheets, I dismissed them. I finally caved and bought one for my son (7th grade) at the time. It was perfect. I then bought two more the following year for both my son and daughter.

This year, I've purchased the Mom Planner and I'll be ordering the regular Student Edition for my 5th grader and the Deluxe Student version for my 9th grader. I really like the idea of the Well-Planned Day planners, but I honestly don't need all those pages and the ones I could really use are not formatted in a way that would be functional for me.

Honestly, I probably spent more money on ink, paper and binders trying to make my own planners than I spent on these. One of my best homeschool funds purchases.

I think two homeschool moms started this little company. I like supporting small businesses, especially when those businesses are run by homeschoolers.

Honestly, I probably spent more money on ink, paper and binders trying to make my own planners than I spent on these. One of my best homeschool funds purchases.

:) Yes, that sounds vaguely familiar! I've done the same, and I've also bought PDF's of books instead of print versions for a few dollars less thinking that I would just print the pages that I needed, and save money. As expensive as printer cartridges are, I think I spent more money than if I'd just gone ahead and bought the paper version of the book to begin with.

I'm not even sure what we're doing next year -- I keep waffling back and forth between wanting to do a pre-packaged and pre-planned curriculum, and wanting to do a DIY "Frankenstein" curriculum like I've always done. If we go with the latter, I'll definitely be ordering one of these planners. I asked dd about using an electronic planner, and she didn't like that idea at all. So paper it is, and this one looks great. Thanks again for mentioning them!

Just a heads up for anyone interested in these planners - they are on sale until midnight tonight - 20% off with the voucher code - SPRING . Hope this helps someone!

I make my own. I have a basic template, then fill it in at the beginning of the year. There's a lot of cutting and pasting involved... These are spiral bound. When open all the way, the spiral binding is along the bottom of the pages below, then the opposite page is for kids to fill in additional homework, details, etc.

Here are examples of 8th and 5th grades...

318259_10150275946155878_688000877_7950182_2974128_n.jpg

321390_10150275946090878_688000877_7950179_7879301_n.jpg

301518_10150275977575878_688000877_7950480_7078192_n.jpg

My rising 4th and 7th graders like this one best - was it created in a spreadsheet program? Would you be willing to share the template :)

Edited by maclubold
apparently I was confused about what grade my older was going into :-)

I just downloaded Evernote and used it to make a set of checklists for DS, and then "shared" them with him so he can get to them from his laptop. I am paying for the premium account, but if you shared a login I think you could do it with the free version... Only I have plans to use this in a number of different ways, not all of them with DS's collaboration so the $5 a month seems reasonable.

My kids have been using these planners for the past two years. It has helped tremendously in keeping everyone organized and on track/knowing what they are supposed to be doing.

I use these as well!

I wish she would offer them as a download :)

This is our first year using them but I think next year I will make my own. It would be cheaper for me to print them and have staples coil bind them than to purchase three of them again.

Looking at the others linked as well :)