Menu

what age to start fred?

LEK

I am so looking forward to doing LOF with my daughter, from the online samples it looks to be right up her alley and I really think we will both love it. She is only just 5 and doing K but is 1-2 years ahead in math. I was thinking about starting fred next year at age 6, 1st grade. Is 6 a good age to start fred or would i be better waiting another year before starting?

TIA

:bigear:

My son is the same age as yours and is also 1-2 yrs ahead in math. I have the first two LOF books and am waiting for now. I'm thinking next year would be good for him, but am interested in other's opinions.

He definitely can read the material and could probably easily do the first couple of chapters.

You could definitely start Fred.

Go as slowly as you like, but don't sweat making them learn everything.

A PP had contacted Stan Schmidt (author) and found he intended to the series to be worked through more than once. My husband and I have real math backgrounds, and we are astonished at how much math is presented and how well it is done. It is unlikely that a kiddo going through at a moderate pace will get all of it on the first pass, but they'll still get enough out to make even one pass through to be worthwhile.

We started when the older 2 were 4 & 6. They were also working ahead in math, and while the 4 year old could follow the storyline and understand the basic math, I'm sure my ODD is getting the most out of it. But, once we're done with a book, it goes on their bookshelves and they re-read it. So I'm sure we'll either cycle back to the earlier books again in a year or so and/or the 4 year old will re-read it herself and pick up on any concepts that she missed the first time through. We love Fred here!

I started Apples with my 5 year old Ker, and worried that it was too soon - she really likes it, but I worried she wasn't "getting it" the way dd9 is. In one of the later books - maybe Farming? - Stan introduced the idea of reading through the series, and then starting over again and reading through it again, as many times as you want to till the child is ready for Fractions. How liberating! This is my plan now. Dd9 is almost done with one run-through, and will go straight into Fractions when she is done. With Dd 5, we will read them through once, getting whatever she can from them now, then we'll do them again! I'm looking forward to that, actually, and like a pp said, there is *so much* in them, it will be cool to see things layer on as she reads them again.

So, go for it! Just follow the young one's interest, and don't make them sit through it if they aren't engaged, and don't feel like you have to finish on any particular schedule.

I am so looking forward to doing LOF with my daughter, from the online samples it looks to be right up her alley and I really think we will both love it. She is only just 5 and doing K but is 1-2 years ahead in math. I was thinking about starting fred next year at age 6, 1st grade. Is 6 a good age to start fred or would i be better waiting another year before starting?

TIA

My son is 6 and pretty far ahead in math. We started LofF this year. It is very easy, but he finds it very entertaining and has picked up a few fun facts and had a little review of some basic concepts. We have been slow going with it and are midway through Butterflies. We would have read all four that I purchased in a week if DS had his way!

My son is 6 and pretty far ahead in math. We started LofF this year. It is very easy, but he finds it very entertaining and has picked up a few fun facts and had a little review of some basic concepts. We have been slow going with it and are midway through Butterflies. We would have read all four that I purchased in a week if DS had his way!

Thanks, I am going to order the full set right away, nothing worse than speeding through it only to have to wait for the next one to arrive (and I am trying to save on postage to Aus, cheaper to get full set posted than buy individually here)

thanks for that review (and I have now wasted an hour or so perusing your blog after reading it...). Reading your review and consideration of the other responses I am thinking that just turned 5 might be a great age to start Fred with my (gifted) daughter but I am now thinking I will throw in my (highly gifted) 3yo into the mix, she may as well listen to to stories too and boy does she love math! (BTW if anyone has suggestions for math work for a 3yo working informally but already at a 2nd grade level i am all ears, atm she is just playing with manipulatives and chiming in with the correct answers when the 5yo gets stuck, she wants a math program but so far all i have done with her is games)

thanks for that review (and I have now wasted an hour or so perusing your blog after reading it...). Reading your review and consideration of the other responses I am thinking that just turned 5 might be a great age to start Fred with my (gifted) daughter but I am now thinking I will throw in my (highly gifted) 3yo into the mix, she may as well listen to to stories too and boy does she love math! (BTW if anyone has suggestions for math work for a 3yo working informally but already at a 2nd grade level i am all ears, atm she is just playing with manipulatives and chiming in with the correct answers when the 5yo gets stuck, she wants a math program but so far all i have done with her is games)

miquon!

DS started it as 3 ish, and DD (just turned 3) has been begging for her own Miquon for ages so she got it for her birthday.

miquon!

DS started it as 3 ish, and DD (just turned 3) has been begging for her own Miquon for ages so she got it for her birthday.

Great to hear, just recently ordered for DD1 and waiting for it to arrive. Will I need 2 sets (are they consumable?) or will 1 do both girls???

Hopefully your time wasn't too wasted! ;)

Have you tried square numbers and square roots yet?

Hopefully your time wasn't too wasted! ;)

Have you tried square numbers and square roots yet?

LOL, always great to read what others are doing with gifted kids.

Yes I have done square roots and square numbers with the 5yo - actually she discovered pretty much all of it herself and told me all about them at 4yrs and 2 months, after she coming racing up and explaining it all well we just had to explore a little further... haven't been there really with the 3yo because it hasn't come up in our games but she loves making square numbers out of MUS blocks (one of her favorite toys!).