Menu

what are you using for government?SL 400?

just beginning to think about government credit for next year. Wondering what people might be using. We are done with the Story of the Medieval world and thought this might be a good time for government since her next book isn't out. What are people using? Has anyone used Sonlight 400?

pj

We're using Thinkwell for Government. It's pretty comprehensive. It is completely online, though you can buy the notes in book form. Ds enjoys it b/c the instructors are energetic and interesting. They make him think about issues and bring out opposing sides without appearing biased, imho. It's been a fun course for him.

I've never used SL so I don't know anything about that one.

Denise

We used SL 400 last year and it was our absolutely LEAST favorite SL core!! Everything about it was just so over our heads and the approach to Govt was just so dry and simply too much! We quickly dropped the Bible portion and the Carson Govt book was next.....and then a few others after that. If you want a Govt course that is understandable, I would recommend Notgrass.

We are going to use Noble Experiment -- I have an Am Gov text that my oldest used in college which has a ton of on-line info to go w/ it so I could supplement w/ if I feel necessary. DD will also be doing volunteer work w/ some campaigns and shadowing a few people in elected positions at the local and state level.

I used Great Source American Government, a secular textbook with my first. It was pretty dry, but it got the job done.

For my second, I made up my own course along the lines of the WTM recommendations. I combined "The Idiot's Guide to Government" with two Great Courses, one on the Federalist Papers and the other on Democracy in America. We found this approach to government to be terrific. The book provided a broad overview, while the 2 courses provided the background and framework for our government. We had some great philosophical discussions while watching the DVDs and got some great insights into the workings of the Constitution in the present age. I would use this 2nd approach again.

HTH,

Brenda

• 4 weeks later...
We are going to use Noble Experiment -- I have an Am Gov text that my oldest used in college which has a ton of on-line info to go w/ it so I could supplement w/ if I feel necessary. DD will also be doing volunteer work w/ some campaigns and shadowing a few people in elected positions at the local and state level.

I'd like to know the name (author, and/or ISBN) of that book!

Other Government options:

Hippo Campus: American Government (secular; free online)

Complete Idiot's Guide: American Government, or, US Government and Politics (secular)

Thinkwell Government (secular, computer CD and online)

American Government, Standard Deviants School Super Pack (secular, 10 DVDs -- you can buy these separately; most of the topics are really needed, but numbers 3, 4, and 5 are possibly optional)

Great Source: American Government (secular; can find cheaply used)

American Government, Prentice Hall (secular)

Exploring Government, Ray Notgrass (Christian)

American Government, BJUP Heritage Studies, grade 12 (Christian)

Governement AND Economics, Switched On Schoolhouse (Christian, computer CD set)

Government AND Economics, Alpha Omega Lifepac (Christian, workbook set)

And past threads with more ideas:

What have you used for Civics/Government?

Has anyone used any these Government textbooks?

Government and Economics -- not rigorous

Suggestions for Civics/Government curriculum

BEST of luck finding what best matches your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

For my second, I made up my own course along the lines of the WTM recommendations. I combined "The Idiot's Guide to Government" with two Great Courses, one on the Federalist Papers and the other on Democracy in America.

I'm planning our own half-credit of government for my son for next year.

I'm waiting to see what pops up from my BookMooch and PBS wishlists to use as a spine. I've already requested this book to use along with whatever I find:

http://www.amazon.com/Debating-Democracy-Reader-American-Politics/dp/0495913472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336361457&sr=8-1

I thought we'd check the library for any Great Courses DVDs they have that might be helpful, too.

I'm also planning to have him do a current events-type assignment each week.

Other Government options:

Hippo Campus: American Government (secular; free online)

Complete Idiot's Guide: American Government, or, US Government and Politics (secular)

Thinkwell Government (secular, computer CD and online)

American Government, Standard Deviants School Super Pack (secular, 10 DVDs -- you can buy these separately; most of the topics are really needed, but numbers 3, 4, and 5 are possibly optional)

Thanks so much, Lori!

I'd completely forgotten about Hippo Campus, but it looks like that might be a good spine for my son. And our local library has the Standard Deviants set, too.

Between the book I already requested, the copies of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution I already have on hand and these two resources, I should have most of what I need to assemble the course.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I used Thinkwell Government and Thinkwell Economics for my oldest. I needed something for her to do that wouldn't involve me at all. She did this her senior year of high school and everything else she took that year was at the cc.

My middle dd is going to do take government at the cc next year.

My youngest is most likely to do either Thinkwell or Oak Meadow for government, but that won't be for several more years.