Menu

X-Post: What is the average price for a speech evaluation?

I messed up by trusting the nurse at my doctors office and will now have to pay for the first evaluation out of pocket.

Does anyone know what a speech evaluation costs on average? I know it differs by area. I just would like to know what I should expect...

Thanks!

ETA: Their office is closed. I already tried calling them to find out.

Edited by RainbowSprinkles

Our therapy is $100 an hour and the eval was 2 hours with proportional pricing. If you wanted the typed up report, it bumped the price up closer to what Michele paid. I skipped, since I knew we were sticking with her.

Some STs spend just an hour, get the basics, and do a lot on the fly as they work with the child. They may just take the write-up from whatever you had before and do an intake assessment as part of the first session. Just talk with them. They may be able to make the transfer work and get it covered.

Our evaluation was $155 an hour and the evaluation lasted 2 hours. They had originally estimated 3 hours, but it didn't end up taking that long. Now that we are in therapy it is $122 an hour and insurance does not pay.

Edited by kimintenn

Our clinic charges $300 for just articulation. $475 for a full eval. That includes a 3 page write up which is nice to have. Our insurance has an allowed amount of $240 and will pay a percentage of that. Our insurance will cover the eval but it is harder to get the actual speech therapy covered. My ASD son's is covered because it is considered medically necessary. My son with articulation issues is not covered. Therapy runs $75 for 30 min or $120 for an hour.