Menu

If you do an Integrated Chemistry and Physics Course...

I was considering Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum for this. My daughter is not strong with math and these do not require hard mathematical equations. I looked on a homeschool website and they also paired this with the Chemistry 101 DVD,which is what I plan on doing. :)

Does your dc have to have ICP for state requirements? If so, I would use BJU Physical Science or Physical World and call the course Integrated Chem and Physics, regardless of if you use the DIVE CDs or if you use the BJU videos. It's a tough text.

If you are just thinking ICP is a good way to introduce the topics, you may want to have a year of Conceptual Physics and a year of Conceptual Chemistry, instead. The coverage will be more in depth, but it will also last a full year instead of just a semester on each subject. After that your dc could take biology, then advanced chem, physics, or biology the senior year, putting him in a great position to start college as a STEM major.

Does your dc have to have ICP for state requirements? If so, I would use BJU Physical Science or Physical World and call the course Integrated Chem and Physics, regardless of if you use the DIVE CDs or if you use the BJU videos. It's a tough text.

This is what I am using. BJU is definitely an integrated chemistry and physics text, and it's not an easy one. I am using it with the BJU DVDs...which are excellent...but I think the DIVE CDs would be a great choice as well.

My ds does not know WHAT he wants to pursue in college (I am just amazed that so many students do at this age. :confused:) so I don't know what he's going to need exactly. Our plan as it stands now is this:

9th: Integrated Chemistry and Physics (BJU)

10th: Biology (BJU)

11th: Chemistry I (BJU)

12th: Physics or another science of his choice.

My only concern at this point is whether 'the powers that be" will frown on an integrated chemistry and physics course in 9th, and then a chemistry in 11th, and physics in 12th. I'm not sure how that works.

This public school teacher has many great resources for IPC (and Physics as well):

http://www.cstephenmurray.com

I was so impressed with the materials he has for Physics that I purchased the pass that allows me access to all of his materials, including answers, tests, quizzes, etc. I've only had it for a few weeks; I'm looking forward to re-working all of my co-op lesson plans this summer to incorporate his materials.

Also, the text that Mr. Murray uses looks good:

http://www.cposcience.com

Edited by MyThreeSons
addition

We use Prentice Hall Physical Science Concepts in Action. I used their labs and tests too. When I had some health issues I bought the DIVE DVD to go with it, but it was not nearly as rigorous as the book & tests from PH.

I used a syllabus and lots of resources from a private Catholic school, but when I just checked the link it is broken. I found it by searching the book name, ICP and syllabus and there are many that still come up.

• 1 month later...
Which book is he using?

Well, he's not teaching IPC this year, so I'm not sure which text he was using, but if you follow the link to the CPO Science website in my previous post, and dig around a little, you'll find all kinds of good resources to go along with their middle school and high school Physical Science and Physics texts.

I'd never heard of IPC before a couple of months ago. Oldest 2 boys are going to a University Model School next year, and they wanted to see IPC on the transcript. Then I looked at the description on the Apologia website for Physical Science, and it looked identical in content. So, is IPC typically just another name for Physical Science?

I'd never heard of IPC before a couple of months ago. Oldest 2 boys are going to a University Model School next year, and they wanted to see IPC on the transcript. Then I looked at the description on the Apologia website for Physical Science, and it looked identical in content. So, is IPC typically just another name for Physical Science?

In my area IPC doesn't include topics in astronomy and meterology like Apologia does, and there is a lot more chemistry and physics. This is from both public and private school information that I gathered. If you look at the DIVE course, this is also how he has structured things.

• 2 years later...

This public school teacher has many great resources for IPC (and Physics as well):

www.cstephenmurray.com

I was so impressed with the materials he has for Physics that I purchased the pass that allows me access to all of his materials, including answers, tests, quizzes, etc. I've only had it for a few weeks; I'm looking forward to re-working all of my co-op lesson plans this summer to incorporate his materials.

Also, the text that Mr. Murray uses looks good:

www.cposcience.com

****** OLD THREAD******

Just checking to see if this was worth the money. Or if anyone else has used it. The free pages line up with a copy of CPO I have on my shelf, but answer keys would be nice. If it was $40, I wouldn't bat an eye. $60 is a bigger chunk to take a look. What I do see I think would work better than DO for my DC.

http://www.cstephenmurray.com/worksheets.htm#ch3

http://www.cstephenmurray.com/newmaterials/index.htm

****** OLD THREAD******

Just checking to see if this was worth the money. Or if anyone else has used it. The free pages line up with a copy of CPO I have on my shelf, but answer keys would be nice. If it was $40, I wouldn't bat an eye. $60 is a bigger chunk to take a look. What I do see I think would work better than DO for my DC.

http://www.cstephenmurray.com/worksheets.htm#ch3

http://www.cstephenmurray.com/newmaterials/index.htm

I'm the OP who mentioned Mr. Murray's site. I teach Physics at our Co-op, and I don't regret spending the money to get access to his materials. He updates periodically, and I have access to those updates as well. But I don't know whether I would have done it for just one student at home. 

How do you use it? I've looked around there, but I can't see assigning dc a written assignment from a screen.

There's a workbook you can print out. You might want to pick and choose questions because it's long.

Click on Flexbooks/Textbook and then pick Workbook. Here's a direct link, but many CK12 books have workbooks in this same place, so it's handy to know how to find them.

http://www.ck12.org/workbook/CK-12-Physical-Science-For-Middle-School-Workbook/

Ds did an Integrated Physics/Chemistry course in 8th grade.  He liked what he saw of Exploration Education at a HS convention.  I purchased the Intermediate Level Physical Science (Advanced Version) which ds worked through.  But I also had him read the CPO Physical Science text - I matched the chapters in the text to the topics in Explor Educ the best I could.

I don't remember details - menopause and health issues taking a toll. :-) 

I'm the OP who mentioned Mr. Murray's site. I teach Physics at our Co-op, and I don't regret spending the money to get access to his materials. He updates periodically, and I have access to those updates as well. But I don't know whether I would have done it for just one student at home.

I did email him. He said his paid version is a complete course, but for students with a firm grasp of algebra.