Menu

making homemade hashbrowns

We are into a big breakfast on saturday morning and have recently graduated out of being able to use one bag of ore ida hash browns LOL - so I decided today to make my own. They tasted really good but were a little sweeter (probably because my potatoes had been in the fridge) but my DH thought they cooked differently and didn't get as crunchy as the store bought ones :glare: Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I can chop them ahead and freeze them and that will make them cook more like ore ida?

Can you freeze potatoes without them turning brown?

I get a really nice result if I use baked potatoes. When you bake them, do NOT wrap in foil. Just rub a little olive oil on and bake. When they are half done, pierce them once or twice with a knife. This yields a nice, dry baked potato at the end.

You can store those baked potatoes in the frig as long as need. To make hash browns dice or grate. Make sure the oil in the pan is HOT when you start frying the potatoes. Leave the potatoes without flipping or stirring until nicely browned. Flip once and brown the other side.

Good luck!

I use raw potatoes, shred them, and then soak them in *hot* water for a few minutes. Then I drain them and dry them in a towel, and fry as usual. They turn out pretty crisp, and they seem to soak up less grease.

HTH!

That is what I do and they turn out very crisp. You get a bunch of the starch out by doing that. HTH

OK, I soooo read that title as "Making homemade hash brownies." Talk about doing a double take! That will really get one's attention on this board :smilielol5:

hashbrowns and brownies - my 2 favorite food groups!! :lol:

I've never attempted to duplicate Ore-Ida - i might have to try!