Menu

x-post Image Grammar

Please talk to me about Image Grammar...Do you recommend it? Would you use it alongside another grammar program?

I've been planning to use AG with my rising 7th grader. IG was mentioned on another thread, so I took a look at it. Thus far, I find the program fascinating and can see where it might be more beneficial for written expression rather than grammar. IG doesn't feel like a complete grammar program because it doesn't appear to cover complex, compound, and complex-compound sentences. I base my assumptions upon a quick perusal of their on-line middle school samples.

So please tell me your thoughts. Is the program any good? Would you use it as a supplement? Is the starter kit necessary? DS is a highly visual dyslexic, who will be coming home in the Fall, after years of grammar torture using text books.

Thank-you and Blessings,

Heather

If you are looking for open-and-go, I would use the Don and Jenny Killgallon Sentence Composing series first. This follows the same philosophy as Image Grammar (imitation, tools of writing, examples from famous authors) but Killgallon is divided into workbooks for Elementary, Middle and High School.

Also I would use Image Grammar or Sentence Composing in conjunction with a formal grammar program. They are designed to improve sentence style by using more complex grammatical constructions, they do not cover basic usage, punctuation, homonyms, etc. I count them under writing, not grammar, in my daily checklist.

We have been enjoying Killgallon very much. I use the Image Grammar for my own edification right now, I will introduce it to my son when we complete the middle school Killgallon program.

I know nothing about this program, but a statement like the below usually sends me running in the opposite direction.

"Using grammatical brushstrokes, students learn to write with an artist's eye and an editor's perception."

I am confused:tongue_smilie: Is the above sentence a bad sentence or is the prospect of writing that way a daunting task?

It seems like a good sentence to me, but I am relearning my grammar since it has been ages;)

I am confused:tongue_smilie: Is the above sentence a bad sentence or is the prospect of writing that way a daunting task?

It seems like a good sentence to me, but I am relearning my grammar since it has been ages;)

It is a nauseating sentence that stinks of salesmanship. Gag me with a spoon, as teenaged girls said in my day. Strunk AND White are turning in their graves.