Menu

Symphysis pubis dysfunction and TeA

I had SPD during my last pregnancy (had the baby over two years ago). It did NOT go away afterwards as hoped, but instead has sort of faded over time. I have been to PT, a chiro, and have limited what I do physically as a result of this. There doesn't seem to be an "answer" to why this still flares up at times and what to do about it. Now the only time it really bothers me is after TeA. Depending on position (sorry if that's TMI), sometimes the front of my pubic bone is so sore. It's a bummer to have a physical impediment to TeA and I am wondering if any of you have BTDT and have any ideas about how to get the SPD to go away for good. I hate that I'm still dealing with this! I thought it was hormonal and would be gone after ds was delivered, you know? Does anyone know why this would still be an issue and what to do about it? Thanks.

I had SPD during my last pregnancy (had the baby over two years ago). It did NOT go away afterwards as hoped, but instead has sort of faded over time. I have been to PT, a chiro, and have limited what I do physically as a result of this. There doesn't seem to be an "answer" to why this still flares up at times and what to do about it. Now the only time it really bothers me is after TeA. Depending on position (sorry if that's TMI), sometimes the front of my pubic bone is so sore. It's a bummer to have a physical impediment to TeA and I am wondering if any of you have BTDT and have any ideas about how to get the SPD to go away for good. I hate that I'm still dealing with this! I thought it was hormonal and would be gone after ds was delivered, you know? Does anyone know why this would still be an issue and what to do about it? Thanks.

Have you tried taking ibuprofen or arnica which is an antiinflammatory during a flare up? I had something similar from a running injury...not fun:( but the antiinflamm. seems to help and you may even want to ice it but THAT may be hard to explain to your family:tongue_smilie:- (not sure of the ages of your children) Hope you get relief!!

Have you tried taking ibuprofen or arnica which is an antiinflammatory during a flare up? I had something similar from a running injury...not fun:( but the antiinflamm. seems to help and you may even want to ice it but THAT may be hard to explain to your family:tongue_smilie:- (not sure of the ages of your children) Hope you get relief!!

Thanks -- those are good ideas for treating it (maybe even ibu before TeA)... I guess I'm wondering if anyone would know why this is still an issue two years after pregnancy and how to fix it.

SPD should go away. I've had it twice very, very badly (crutches) but have gone back to normal after a few weeks/months. I did need to see a physio after the second time to help it ease - she was fantastic and twiddled a couple of things to set my pelvis back in balance.

I agree that perhaps you should consider seeing a doc, or another physio with a good reputation. Having to take ibuprofen everytime you want a cup of teA would drive me batty.

I had this problem after my last baby. It still hurt when she was 13 months old. I also could not lift my legs off the bed when lying on my back. The chiropractor didn't help, and I couldn't even do some exercises that were recommended by my Dr.

Another mother of 7 recommended the book Pain Free (linked below) to me. I felt different after doing these exercises one time. The pain was cut in half in a week and absolutely gone in a month. These are not really exercises, but positions and stretches. I did the ones for the hip.

Since I got this book, Egoscue has come out with another one called Pain Free for Women. That one may be even more helpful, but this one did the trick for me

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553379887/ref=asc_df_05533798871964456?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=0553379887&hvpos=none&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1892736626916374009&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I had this problem after my last baby. It still hurt when she was 13 months old. I also could not lift my legs off the bed when lying on my back. The chiropractor didn't help, and I couldn't even do some exercises that were recommended by my Dr.

Another mother of 7 recommended the book Pain Free (linked below) to me. I felt different after doing these exercises one time. The pain was cut in half in a week and absolutely gone in a month. These are not really exercises, but positions and stretches. I did the ones for the hip.

Since I got this book, Egoscue has come out with another one called Pain Free for Women. That one may be even more helpful, but this one did the trick for me

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553379887/ref=asc_df_05533798871964456?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=0553379887&hvpos=none&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1892736626916374009&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Wow, that sounds great! Thank you so much. I will order it ASAP.

I've had SPD three times, so severe I was induced all three times as I was in insane pain and barely able to move. With my last one (6 months ago) it did not go away.

I was desperate and reluctantly went to a chiropractor after having already seen one in a previous pregnancy with no changes or help. However, this chiropractor was specifically trained in techniques to help women and infants. I only had two very specific adjustments, but the first one brought immediate relief and the second one completely fixed everything.

Try and find a properly trained chiropractor, it makes a huge difference!

I've had SPD three times, so severe I was induced all three times as I was in insane pain and barely able to move. With my last one (6 months ago) it did not go away.

I was desperate and reluctantly went to a chiropractor after having already seen one in a previous pregnancy with no changes or help. However, this chiropractor was specifically trained in techniques to help women and infants. I only had two very specific adjustments, but the first one brought immediate relief and the second one completely fixed everything.

I agree with this. Not all chiropractors are the same! I'd look for one that is particularly familiar with pregnancy and childbirth issues. A midwife would probably be a good source of referral for a chiropractor experienced in these problems. I've had many ailments related to pregnancy and childbirth, including pubic syphysis and a well-trained chiropractor can make a huge difference, while a general practitioner may not help much at all. In my case, seeing a female chiropractor has been more comfortable since working on ribs and sternum (from a car accident, not pregnancy) and a broken tailbone (from childbirth), and SPD and sciatica pain in the deep hip and round ligament pain (pregnancy) have all involved rather intimate areas of the body. ;)

However, this chiropractor was specifically trained in techniques to help women and infants. I only had two very specific adjustments, but the first one brought immediate relief and the second one completely fixed everything.

:iagree:

Hi Janie,

I am sorry you are dealing with this! I had Diastasis Pubic Symphysis (a complete separation of the pubic bones) with my twins 3 1/2 years ago. It was incredibly painful and I spent 5 months sleeping in a recliner because I couldn't sleep in a bed. The bones eventually went back together after I stopped breastfeeding at 13 months but I still have some pain in that area.

I saw 3 different PT's and only the last one really helped. She specialized in female issues and was very knowledgeable about the condition. The first thing she gave me was this OPTP SI-Loc Sacroileac Belt, if that link doesn't work it is on Amazon.com. I pretty much wore that thing 24/7 for almost a year and probably should still be wearing it. What this did for me was stabilize the SI joint and get my muscles to shorten because they had gotten so stretched out they wouldn't hold my pelvis correctly.

I also saw a great chiropractor at least every couple of weeks to make sure my alignment was okay. You don't want to stabilize the muscles into a misalignment so it is important to do both at the same time in my opinion. I also did pelvic floor exercises but really the belt and chiropractor were the biggest help.

Please let me know if you have any other questions :001_smile:.

Marisa