Menu

What is a realistic budget for curriculum?

podoba01

I will be purchasing curriculum for the first time this year. I will be doing CC this year, so I don't want to go crazy with the other things I need. We aren't hurting financially, and we only have one child, so I have a lot of wiggle room. I just don't want to be wasteful with our money. My very sweet husband is very understanding, stating, "Just buy what you need. It costs what it costs." I am the one who is hesitating every time I put a spreadsheet with expenses together! :scared:

I'm hoping to get some feedback so that I'll pull the trigger and actually place an order! What do you typically spend on homeschool curriculum/expenses?

Thank you so much for the feedback. You are all so awesome! It's really comforting to have a group of wonderful parents who so willingly share their advice and experiences. You are greatly appreciated.

Same as OP, a lot LOL.

Basically my budget for curriculum, and larger purchases is budgeted to the tax return. Office supplies aren't included in that. Its really to variable to say. I would actually need to sit down, research and write up a sheet on what I spent for one child for last year and this year.

Hopefully others can give you a nominal amount.

You only have the 4yo? I think my budget was under $500/yr back then. It goes up with the age/grade of the child, more subjects and they seem to cost more. With a 4yo you could probably do $20 and under - craft supplies and a library card. ;)

Or just pick a number for a monthly amount and start building a really nice library of your own plus a few workbooks.

It may depend on the strength of your library as well. I probably spent just as much at that age as I do now, but more of it went to books that I wanted that the library just did not stock.

You can do Pre-K/K very cheaply, but you could also spend quite a bit on high quality literature, manipulatives, and art supplies. I would budget several hundred if you have it available.

You only have the 4yo? I think my budget was under $500/yr back then. It goes up with the age/grade of the child, more subjects and they seem to cost more. With a 4yo you could probably do $20 and under - craft supplies and a library card. ;)

Or just pick a number for a monthly amount and start building a really nice library of your own plus a few workbooks.

We have enrolled her in CC, so I'm already WAY past the $20 range:001_smile:. She is asking to learn to read and "do math," so I'm going to start purchasing the curriculum that I had intended to put off for a year or so. Even if she isn't as ready as she thinks she is to start school, I can always set the formal curriculum aside for a year or so.

First of all, take your line item for computer paper and multiply it x3. Seriously, I think my kids eat the stuff. I hide it because it's ridiculous how much we go through.

Such a tough question... really you could probably spend a million dollars if you had it, and wanted to add that round the world tour of ancient sites for your 1st grader :lol:

Curriculum buying is one of those things where need rises to meet whatever level you're willing to spend. Plus 10%.

First of all, take your line item for computer paper and multiply it x3. Seriously, I think my kids eat the stuff. I hide it because it's ridiculous how much we go through.

Such a tough question... really you could probably spend a million dollars if you had it, and wanted to add that round the world tour of ancient sites for your 1st grader :lol:

Curriculum buying is one of those things where need rises to meet whatever level you're willing to spend. Plus 10%.

This never even occurred to me. I'm off to update my spreadsheet immediately! :w00t: I can write it off as a newbie mistake!

I will be purchasing curriculum for the first time this year. I will be doing CC this year, so I don't want to go crazy with the other things I need. We aren't hurting financially, and we only have one child, so I have a lot of wiggle room. I just don't want to be wasteful with our money. My very sweet husband is very understanding, stating, "Just buy what you need. It costs what it costs." I am the one who is hesitating every time I put a spreadsheet with expenses together! :scared:

I'm hoping to get some feedback so that I'll pull the trigger and actually place an order! What do you typically spend on homeschool curriculum/expenses?

Thank you so much for the feedback. You are all so awesome! It's really comforting to have a group of wonderful parents who so willingly share their advice and experiences. You are greatly appreciated.

Eyeballing our expenses from this year, which was 7th and 8th grade I get this:

Math 59 (Art of Problem Solving text and solution book, which will be used for both Algebra 1 and 2)

Science 100 (1st semester was library books and the free Jetstream curriculum. 2nd semester is TC dvds How the Earth Works and several textbooks that we bought used at a big local bookstore)

German 250 (German Online from Oklahoma State Uni)

Latin 50 (I'm a curriculum junkie, but I'm mostly using Ecce Romani, which I bought used various places)

WWS 120.90

TOG used older print edition 50 (I pretty much use the schedules and lists of important people, but not the background info or worksheets. I did the same with Sonlight. So I've learned that a schedule is great, but it needs to be priced as just a schedule, because that's about all I will look at it for. YMMV.:001_smile:)

Lit ?? (We use the library a lot and hit lots of library book sales. I'd say that we buy $500-1000 of books each year. I can support almost any history topic and literature subject from our shelves. If this wasn't my habit, I think I could still do fine with history and lit from the library and library book sales around here for $150. That's if I were focused and disciplined. But those are terms never used to describe my relationship with books.)

Altogether, not counting the used books that we'd be buying anyway, that's around $700. Teaching the two kids is a little bit more, because I bought two math texts and paid for two German courses.

ETA: I missed the ages of your kid. Sorry. Back when Rutabaga and Cauliflower were little, I actually had to keep lots of records for a reembursement scheme from dh's employer. I'm pretty sure that K was about $350, using Saxon math, SOTW and a lot of VP books. Even the year that I went hog wild (for 1st adn 2nd grade) it was about $1300 for the two older kids (and that was with buying lots that I never really used). One of my bigger expenses was buying readers and chapter books, because we lived overseas without easy access to those levels of books in English.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

When I was first starting I spent a lot. If you are able to go to a convention and look at everything. It will save money in the long run. Some things that sound great will just not be right and you will know it very quickly.

Don't spend it all at the beginning. I really enjoyed being able to place a new order every couple of months. Just buy what you really want to start and plan to add after you see what you and your daughter enjoy.

Eyeballing our expenses from this year, which was 7th and 8th grade I get this:

Math 59 (Art of Problem Solving text and solution book, which will be used for both Algebra 1 and 2)

Science 100 (1st semester was library books and the free Jetstream curriculum. 2nd semester is TC dvds How the Earth Works and several textbooks that we bought used at a big local bookstore)

German 250 (German Online from Oklahoma State Uni)

Latin 50 (I'm a curriculum junkie, but I'm mostly using Ecce Romani, which I bought used various places)

WWS 120.90

TOG used older print edition 50 (I pretty much use the schedules and lists of important people, but not the background info or worksheets. I did the same with Sonlight. So I've learned that a schedule is great, but it needs to be priced as just a schedule, because that's about all I will look at it for. YMMV.:001_smile:)

Lit ?? (We use the library a lot and hit lots of library book sales. I'd say that we buy $500-1000 of books each year. I can support almost any history topic and literature subject from our shelves. If this wasn't my habit, I think I could still do fine with history and lit from the library and library book sales around here for $150. That's if I were focused and disciplined. But those are terms never used to describe my relationship with books.)

Altogether, not counting the used books that we'd be buying anyway, that's around $700. Teaching the two kids is a little bit more, because I bought two math texts and paid for two German courses.

Thank you! I appreciate the numbers. It helps me so much. You must have a really terrific home library!

Thinking in terms of INVESTMENT, splurge and get a REALLY good pencil sharpener. It will make you happy for the next twenty years. :D

I think when Ana was that age we were doing Five in a Row and I still have a couple of those books. Buy books, not curriculum and that will make you happy long-term.

An audible account for books on tape? A CD player? Art supplies. A piano. :D

Other than that, you might want to invest in books for YOU - like TWTM or other homeschool inspirational books. CC is more than sufficient for a four year old.

When I was first starting I spent a lot. If you are able to go to a convention and look at everything. It will save money in the long run. Some things that sound great will just not be right and you will know it very quickly.

Don't spend it all at the beginning. I really enjoyed being able to place a new order every couple of months. Just buy what you really want to start and plan to add after you see what you and your daughter enjoy.

This sounds like good advice! Thank you.

Thinking in terms of INVESTMENT, splurge and get a REALLY good pencil sharpener. It will make you happy for the next twenty years. :D

I think when Ana was that age we were doing Five in a Row and I still have a couple of those books. Buy books, not curriculum and that will make you happy long-term.

An audible account for books on tape? A CD player? Art supplies. A piano. :D

Other than that, you might want to invest in books for YOU - like TWTM or other homeschool inspirational books. CC is more than sufficient for a four year old.

:001_smile: This might be a good way to look at things.

For next year's curriculum we are spending about $1100. SHHHH! Don't tell dh:D

Of course, I will be adding more as the year progresses but this is for a 1st and a 4th grader. I chucked the program I used for my dd's 1st grade year because I could not bear to teach it again! :tongue_smilie: So I had to get all new stuff for ds who will be in 1st next year. DD's 4th grade was a tad bit pricey (we need a $$$ emoticon) this year because I broke down and got IEW and we are starting TT so the math price went up.

Another thing? This price does not include the $2,000+ we spend on our homeschool enrichment program we do once a week. Or the $200+ I spend to keep our art bins stocked.

We do spend a bit. However, it's worth it to me and it's still cheaper than private school!

ETA: Ummm...... I also didn't count all of the extra curriculars we do. Since we homeschool the kids don't have homework to keep them busy in the evenings so they can participate in more fun things! :-)

Edited by mom2koh

Realistic is whatever you can afford. There are homeschoolers on a shoestring budget who teach well. My actual curriculum for 3 kids is probably about $1000/year. The books to build my library are at least $2000 more. If I lump in anything educational like snap circuits or puzzles, the amount jumps up again. If we stay with Dh's company through the transfer, I will give myself another raise ;) and use it to buy some memberships, videos, science equipment, etc. Homeschooling/books is what I spend my money on. If Dh takes another job so that we can stay in one place, I will have to cut waaay back and that will be okay, too.

For next year's curriculum we are spending about $1100. SHHHH! Don't tell dh:D

Of course, I will be adding more as the year progresses but this is for a 1st and a 4th grader. I chucked the program I used for my dd's 1st grade year because I could not bear to teach it again! :tongue_smilie: So I had to get all new stuff for ds who will be in 1st next year. DD's 4th grade was a tad bit pricey (we need a $$$ emoticon) this year because I broke down and got IEW and we are starting TT so the math price went up.

Another thing? This price does not include the $2,000+ we spend on our homeschool enrichment program we do once a week. Or the $200+ I spend to keep our art bins stocked.

We do spend a bit. However, it's worth it to me and it's still cheaper than private school!

ETA: Ummm...... I also didn't count all of the extra curriculars we do. Since we homeschool the kids don't have homework to keep them busy in the evenings so they can participate in more fun things! :-)

Your secret is safe with me! Thank you for your reply.

Next year will be my first year and I will have a 2nd grader and a preschooler. My budget so far is about $550, and that's including the $120 AAR pre-1 for my preschooler (I feel like that's a guilt purchase since she gets so many hand-me-downs from big sister, I want to get something cool for her next year, too!). That also includes all the math manipulatives I've bought, plus atlases and preschool workbooks, plus the curriculum for my older daughter. That doesn't include literature that I will be slowly accumulating (I have a pretty great library system, so I will be taking my time and really finding the versions I want) and I'm sure there will be more things that I run into along the way.

Also, there's always things like a table or desk I'd like to get for the school room, bookcases to organize all the books, office supplies, ink, that laminator I bought this morning :001_huh:, craft supplies (I love doing crafts!), etc., etc., etc. I'm sure I'll top out beyond $1000 by year's end. Crossing my fingers that the homeschool tax deduction passes the vote here in SC!

Next year will be my first year and I will have a 2nd grader and a preschooler. My budget so far is about $550, and that's including the $120 AAR pre-1 for my preschooler (I feel like that's a guilt purchase since she gets so many hand-me-downs from big sister, I want to get something cool for her next year, too!). That also includes all the math manipulatives I've bought, plus atlases and preschool workbooks, plus the curriculum for my older daughter. That doesn't include literature that I will be slowly accumulating (I have a pretty great library system, so I will be taking my time and really finding the versions I want) and I'm sure there will be more things that I run into along the way.

Also, there's always things like a table or desk I'd like to get for the school room, bookcases to organize all the books, office supplies, ink, that laminator I bought this morning :001_huh:, craft supplies (I love doing crafts!), etc., etc., etc. I'm sure I'll top out beyond $1000 by year's end. Crossing my fingers that the homeschool tax deduction passes the vote here in SC!

I wish we had something like that where I live!

In the beginning I tried to do it free. However I am not good at planning what's missing and didn't know this until our third year into homeschooling. It was a huge eye opener. By the time my oldest was in first grade and my second daughter was entering preschool I found this forum and it saved our homeschooling journey immediately! My second dd got a much better start because of realizing I had to adapt to not only my dc leading style but my teaching style!!

All that to say I think it's wonderful that you found a supportive forum so early in! I wish I had, so thankful our family has the forum now though.

Here is a breakdown of what we just spent for our rising preschooler, 2nd grader & 4th grader.

Preschool:

Math: MEP Reception (Free!)

Reading: Explode the Code books A, B, C, & Teachers Manual ($40)

Writing: Handwriting without tears prek ($8) (I already have the TM so didn't have to put out the expense for that again)

Language Arts: Language Lessons For Little Ones ($15)

History & Science: What your preschooler needs to know ($20) (this book also has great poems, songs, short stories, and tons more!)

Misc school supplies: $40 for paper, glue, art supplies, & such.

Final tally: $123 (keep in mind I have over $300 in teaching tools and Melissa & Doug educational tools and toys that I saved from my older kids, otherwise I'd have to budget to get some of those.)

2nd grader & 4th grader each have to get their own level of the following subjects.

Math: Teaching Textbooks 3 & 4 ($120 each)

Language Arts: First Language Lessons 3 & 4 ($13wb each & $22tm each)

Writing: Writing with Ease ($22)each

Penmanship: ($9 for manuscript & $9 for cursive)

Spelling: All About Spelling 3 & 4 ($52 each)

These subjects they share the cost.

History: Story of the World 2 ($15 book & $23 activity guide)

Science: Elemental Science for Grammar Stage - Chemistry ($17 plus cost of printing student workbooks twice)

Geography: Workbook. $10 each

Reading: Funnix & Funnix 2 ($56)

Supplies: $80

Final tally for my 1st and 4th graders is: $750ish

In the beginning I tried to do it free. However I am not good at planning what's missing and didn't know this until our third year into homeschooling. It was a huge eye opener. By the time my oldest was in first grade and my second daughter was entering preschool I found this forum and it saved our homeschooling journey immediately! My second dd got a much better start because of realizing I had to adapt to not only my dc leading style but my teaching style!!

All that to say I think it's wonderful that you found a supportive forum so early in! I wish I had, so thankful our family has the forum now though.

Here is a breakdown of what we just spent for our rising preschooler, 2nd grader & 4th grader.

Preschool:

Math: MEP Reception (Free!)

Reading: Explode the Code books A, B, C, & Teachers Manual ($40)

Writing: Handwriting without tears prek ($8) (I already have the TM so didn't have to put out the expense for that again)

Language Arts: Language Lessons For Little Ones ($15)

History & Science: What your preschooler needs to know ($20) (this book also has great poems, songs, short stories, and tons more!)

Misc school supplies: $40 for paper, glue, art supplies, & such.

Final tally: $123 (keep in mind I have over $300 in teaching tools and Melissa & Doug educational tools and toys that I saved from my older kids, otherwise I'd have to budget to get some of those.)

2nd grader & 4th grader each have to get their own level of the following subjects.

Math: Teaching Textbooks 3 & 4 ($120 each)

Language Arts: First Language Lessons 3 & 4 ($13wb each & $22tm each)

Writing: Writing with Ease ($22)each

Penmanship: ($9 for manuscript & $9 for cursive)

Spelling: All About Spelling 3 & 4 ($52 each)

These subjects they share the cost.

History: Story of the World 2 ($15 book & $23 activity guide)

Science: Elemental Science for Grammar Stage - Chemistry ($17 plus cost of printing student workbooks twice)

Geography: Workbook. $10 each

Reading: Funnix & Funnix 2 ($56)

Supplies: $80

Final tally for my 1st and 4th graders is: $750ish

Thank you for the reply! This breakdown is really helpful.

First, I would look at:

A budget. How much money can you spend without getting into trouble? What about other activities or memberships?

I've made a big list of every museum, aquarium, zoo, science or nature center, etc. in a certain radius and listed their fees and membership costs. Not that we need ALL of them, just for research. Then I looked into activities (swim lessons, dance, gymnastics, sports, karate, etc.) and priced those out.

How is your home library? Do you need one? Make an Amazon wish list (there are several good threads recently about quality children's literature) and start purchasing that. Quality bookshelves can be expensive, so that will really add up.

I agree that an Audible membership could be useful. I wish we could afford one! Another expense you might think about is an iPad (if you don't have one). I'm currently saving up for one! Look around on this board, there has been a lot of talk about the educational qualities of an iPad.

A homeschool room. If you are planning on having a dedicated space for homeschooling, where is it and what do you need? Desks, computer (optional), chairs, wall posters, white board, calendar, organization and storage, etc. It's entirely not necessary, but I am the kind of person who likes to have a "space" for something before the "something" (some people are the other way around).

Then I would look at curriculum. I would think CC would be enough for a 4 year old.

I would price out different things and see how much it costs and then look at your first budget number. I don't necessarily agree with your DH's "It cost what it costs" because if you are buying a table (let's say) you could spend $50 on a used table, or you could spend $500 on a brand new one. JMO. For a drastic, and slightly strange example, lol. But if you say, "well, I think I have about $2k to work with. After CC it's about $1800..." so then you buy $500 worth of room supplies, $500 worth of library books, and you still have $800 left over! At least that way when you break it down you can see that you are "covering all your basics" and still watching where your money goes. If you keep yourself on a tighter schedule, you can say "well, I can spent $100 a month." (You would have $1000 left over after CC) so you just keep track of your expenses, until you hit that, and then you wait until next month to make a purchase! :)

HTH.

Some of it probably depends on your library and whether you want to build a home library or not. Books add up quick.

I spent around $300ish for 3rd grade, I think. This next year, doing 3rd grade and K, I'm looking at easily $1000, but I'm also buying a lot more good BOOKS than I did last year. I'm building the home library.

I keep a spreadsheet going year round, adding stuff to it as I decide to use something the next year. It gets edited a lot. But I can always see roughly how much next year will cost IF I stick with those choices.

We previously were paying for private school, and next year it would have been two in private school, so I have a decent budget, but I don't go anywhere near the school tuition amount. ;)

I haven't actually added it up. But more than I expected. Our library is horrid (they have 3 biographies on a cat and zilch on Archimedes and Aristotle) So I wind up buying a lot of books. I try to get them used or at thrift shops and keep a list in my purse at all times. I also buy supplies in bulk at back to school sales although I never buy enough dry erase markers. Other things that really add up in the beginning are the resourse books. Usbornes World History Encyclopedia and Science encyclopedias, Kingfisher history and Science encyclopedias. These will be used for many years but I bought all 4 our first year. An Art History resource, Art books, music CDs, and then the books to educate me so I could find out our philosophy when it comes to homeschooling. All that adds up. Then there is buying sense and paying for it. I think most of is spent more money then we needed to in the beginning because we didn't really know what would work well for our individual children. So the first 2 years I hate to admit it but close to half the stuff I bought wasn't right for us. It gets easier and I have spent less this year because I know what works but I am sure I have a couple of turkeys in my choices. The great thing about preschool and K, it really can be done with less and probably better with less.

As long as you limit yourself to buying what you actually use, I wouldn't stress about it with one child and a budget with wiggle room. For my family, $1000 is a nice budget that lets me get easy to use materials that my children enjoy. I have three, but only two I'm buying for currently. A budget of $3000 would allow me to buy the most expensive programs I've ever considered and enroll my kids in all the classes that catch our interest.

When i asked DH what my budget for school supplies was for the year he told me $2000, nearly fell over!! We are currently in our first year HS with a K-er and one pre-k. So far I would guess I have spent about $100 on art and craft supplies and general office "stuff". Then add to that about $500 in books and curricula, about half of this is quality books for our library that we will be using for the next 15 years or so (reference and literature) and the other half in curriculum but again, I will be re-using most of this with the next 2 children providing it suits their style (which I am sincerely hoping it will). We are now almost done with some of our workbooks so I will have to purchase the next levels in these very shortly, and we will be starting AAS soon so maybe another $100 but this should all last us until the end of this calendar year, maybe even most of the next one as I already have a lot of stuff waiting at the next level.

For my 5-year old coming up, I am spending $0. If I had to buy new what I am using for him, it would be about $100. The early years do not take a lot. But since money isn't tight, you can do splurge on some extra things that aren't essentials.

I am spending about $1200 for 12th, 10th, 3rd, and K this year.

I did preschool for about $50 this year. I bought Phonics PathwAys and some basic skills workbooks from Walmart an the dollar store. I printed the brightly beaming letter of the week curriculum.

I did the same for K.

I bought all of the CC materials for all three cycles for this year. That ran about $250. After that, everything else was less than $300. I have also picked up everything for next year used for pretty cheap. Most of it is non-consumable so I can reuse it and it will be much cheaper the second time around.

I like to have the books on hand. I spend between 1000 and 1500, which includes paper, pencils, notebooks, etc. This is the logic stage for us. Elementary or grammar stage, I was able to come in much less. The additional resources to make ancient history a 2 year course has increased my per-year costs.

We've homeschooled for 8 years, starting in 1st grade. Our budget has run the gamut from $100 for the year to $1000, the year I bought what I wanted. We generally spend around $700 (middle school level), and maybe a hundred or more on my self-education.

At your dc's age I would try to find a philosophy of education first, then budget from that. It looks like you're going to use CC. Homeschooling budgets really can become a black hole, they don't need to be.

I would consider what kind of lessons, music, dance, gymnastics, you want to use. I would also consider field trips, memberships to museums, etc. Then I would look at hand-on material for science, nature study, math manipulatives, etc. Then I would look at curriculum.

Homeschooling one is a joy. Enjoy planning your journey.

I have rarely spent more than $300 per student in the 14 years I've been homeschooling. And in the early years, it was usually less.

You only have the 4yo?

Oh, I just noticed how young your child is! I began homeschooling my daughter at that age, and I think I spent about $20. I bought a couple of kindergarten workbooks, and we went to the library every week. I made my own worksheets for numbers and letters, writing them out on notebook paper.

By the time my son was that age, we had internet and a printer. So, I printed most things for free. And, again, we made good use of the local library.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Your budget is whatever you want it to be. If your only child is your 4yo, school could easily be done for nearly free, printing resources from the internet and using the library. You can also purchase a relatively expensive program such as MFW or SL, a math program like MUS or RightStart, decorate your room, and the list goes on.

Budgeting with a little one is more about deciding what you want to spend, how much planning you need done for you and what you like. There is no "realistic budget" that someone else can give you.

Your dh is being great. Find what you really want and run it back by him and see if it is a problem.

I'm not a CC mom, but those I know IRL who have started it that young felt it sapped the joy right out of school for their little ones. Don't be afraid to change that if it doesn't work for you.

If you want hard numbers to compare, I'll have a 4 yr old in the Autumn, and this is what I'll have spent for her:

OPGTR: $20 (purchased used, had spiral-bound, used by an older sibling)

LOTW: everything printed free from online (so...the cost of paper, glue, ink, art supplies, etc.)

R&S math-focused workbooks: $6ish

church preschool 2x week: $140/mth (but we have a scholarship so we don't pay)

...and she's tagging along with big sis in Bible, geography and science (which I have spent a pretty penny on, but I'm counting that toward her sister's school budget total. ;))

Next year will be my first year and I will have a 2nd grader and a preschooler. My budget so far is about $550, and that's including the $120 AAR pre-1 for my preschooler!

How fun! My AAR pre-1 arrived yesterday. My 4 yo has been playing with the zebra puppet since it came out of the box.

To the op, I have purchased AAR deluxe, Get Ready for the Code books, HWOT, and two Essential Math books for my 4yo DD. I purchased several e-books during the Scholastic $1 sale. The DD pre-K budget is less than $250. We already have supplies like crayons, scissors, and paper, so I'm thinking that I may be done.

For the rising 7th grader, we purchased a good quality microscope. DS is tutored for dyslexia and trumpet and will be attending a co-op. I'm embarrassed by the money I have spent; however, the reference books, history, and grammar will cover 2 years or more.

I will be picking up an inexpensive Brother BW laser over the summer because the cost for ink jet cartridges is becoming too much. I will likely pick up another bookcase and donate a few books that we never read.

Edited by Heathermomster

First of all, take your line item for computer paper and multiply it x3. Seriously, I think my kids eat the stuff. I hide it because it's ridic.

LOL :lol:I so know the feeling!

As for curriculum it depends. This year we did a dl program. Quite expensive! Dh lost his job last month so that got me looking for a cheaper route. I bought almost all used except math. Got rod and staff workbook sets for the littles. Probably $350 total. I ln August we will hit the back to school sales for supplies.