Menu

Brag Alert!

Blue Hen

When I picked DS up at his college for Spring Break he said in passing that he was chosen as a Summer Scholar at his University! I didn't even know that he had applied. In addition to the very nice stipend he'll continue working for his professor.

Carole

I can't believe they are half-way through either. :) Actually DS 'could' graduate in the fall if he just went with the computer science major but he wants the math major too. He's talking of grad school and a Phd so he has a few more years. And for some reason he still thinks he would have been better off going to PS. :confused:

:party:

Terrific news, Carole!! I love to read about our WTM kids' successes.

...and can you believe that these kids are almost half way through college now?!

Echoing Kathy's congratulations and sentiments.

As to almost halfway through, dd has just 1 more year! It has gone *so* fast.

~Moira

And for some reason he still thinks he would have been better off going to PS. :confused:

Carole,

If it's any consolation, my son still says this, too. What he doesn't realize is that if he had gone to ps, he would not have gotten into the college he's currently attending, and he wouldn't have had all the time he did while in high school to explore his interests.

He is working a coop job this semester, and I will say that he is appreciating the writing skills that I was able to stuff into him! Anyway, I think that this "ps regret" is just him not liking that he's different than his peers in this way. I also like to think that once he has the benefit of a few more years of experience, he will see things a little differently.

Despite his feelings towards hs at present, I have no regrets that he was hs'ed! :001_smile:

Brenda

Carole,

If it's any consolation, my son still says this, too. What he doesn't realize is that if he had gone to ps, he would not have gotten into the college he's currently attending, and he wouldn't have had all the time he did while in high school to explore his interests.

Thank you Brenda, and here I was thinking that my ds' feelings were unique. I know ds would not be where he is on so many different levels if he hadn't been hs'ed but it's impossible to get him to see that. I'm sure he would have gotten into the college he's attending but I don't know that he would have the scholarships he has or gotten into the Honors College. Being in Honors has been a tremendous help to him. Maybe someday the light will go on. Maybe. Many of his peers are from a charter school he could have attended, ranks 19th in the Nation of math & science schools. Hard to compete against that but he's doing quite well in college. Easily adjusted to college and its demands.

Yes, no regrets on my part although there are a few things I would do differently. Trying to apply some of the changes to DS #2 however he is so different from the older one.

I just thought of something I should brag about wrt me. DS lives all of 20 minutes away from home at college. Several friends recently gave me kuddos for letting DS 'go away' to college, staying away from campus and not checking in on him. They aren't fans of hs'ers and figured that I wouldn't be able to let him go. :lol: Yes, he has come home for an evening or a day or a weekend and often he brings a few friends with him. Next year he'll be in a house with a few guys. Yes it was really hard last year but easier this year. :thumbup:

Yes, no regrets on my part although there are a few things I would do differently. Trying to apply some of the changes to DS #2 however he is so different from the older one.

I just thought of something I should brag about wrt me. DS lives all of 20 minutes away from home at college. Several friends recently gave me kuddos for letting DS 'go away' to college, staying away from campus and not checking in on him. They aren't fans of hs'ers and figured that I wouldn't be able to let him go. :lol: Yes, he has come home for an evening or a day or a weekend and often he brings a few friends with him. Next year he'll be in a house with a few guys. Yes it was really hard last year but easier this year. :thumbup:

Hey, good for you, Carole! I hear you on the folks who aren't fans of hsing. A lot of relatives really increased their questions about hsing and college admissions as ds got up into the high school grades. They thought he'd never get into any college. Oh well, now they know. I also have a few IRL hsing friends who seem to have a very strong attachment to their kids that I do worry if they'll ever let them go off on their own.

It sounds like your son #1 is doing very well. You should be proud of that. I'm also trying to do some things differently with son #2, but as you say, he's a completely different kind of kid. No one ever said this hsing stuff would be easy, but I guess that's OK, because I'm always up for a challenge! :tongue_smilie:

Brenda