Menu

Not sure which word is appropriate. How many wtm(parents) have difficulties...?

I have autism. Who else is not perfectly typical?

I was molested when i was younger. All of my problems were blamed on that. No one cared that *I* was over it. It happened and was not traumatic. My social skills are sad. I can never get my point across in a conversation, mainly in heated conversations. I get stuck on my routines (which is why getting up later than 6 has been such a promlem for me). I learn best when reading and it sticks. Then of course i start to see things irl that go against research and it bugs me to no end (this is why i have such a problem with the park babies, especially pepsi baby). Reading well and understanding what i have read, from an earlyage, is probably the only thing that got me through school. It also hindered me because i was doing well and did notget support services beyond 4th grade.

Who else has something going on?

I guess I also have "difficulties" :lol:!

I have a lot of health problems and have since I was a child (Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and now a Lupus/Rheumatoid Arthritis type condition). It was the reason I was homeschooled and is part of the reason I am homeschooling my own children. It is a constant struggle dealing with chronic pain and fatigue and then of course the loads of medications I take and their side-effects. Sometimes the brain fog is so bad I am lucky to remember my own name :tongue_smilie:!

I've learned over the years, although it is still a work in progress, to just roll with the punches. If I am having a particularly bad day I try to remember tomorrow could be better. I am trying to set up a very detailed homeschooling plan which I hope will make things easier when the brain fog rolls in.

I am sorry for everything you have gone through, and are still dealing with. Of course we all have problems but sometimes it is just nice to know we aren't alone in this big world.

Marisa

When I about 40 yrs. old, I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, ADD, and OCD. At various times in the 20 years before that, I had been treated for depression. I was an extremely emotional child, very intense actually. I even had some bowel issues in elementary school that the doctor attributed to stress. My family was constantly telling me that I overreacted, I was too emotional, I needed to grow a thicker skin, I was being a big baby, and blah blah blah. My mom called me stupid a lot, which is why I never use that word with my own kids. I was not in a supportive environment. Between that fact and my medical issues (which I don't know if I could have been diagnosed with any of the things I now have), yes I have always had difficulties. Although it took me a while to accept, I now believe what my therapist has been saying all along. I deal with things because "It is what it is." Somehow that makes it easier to cope with things as they come up.

I don't have difficulties. I have drama! Does that count? :smilielol5:

It should count. :p I have a family that does drama to the point that for a while, when my mom's number showed up on the caller ID, my heart started pounding.

I also have ADD.

I have some, everyone does.....

As a word of encouragement to the OP-

I know MANY people who do not have a good reason for their complete rudeness, social ineptness, mean spirited ways, etc., and they still act that way :) Sounds to me like your difficulties are far less of a problem than what those people seem to seal with!

You have self-awareness, and enough intelligence to work on what you know are challenges to you. That makes a world of difference.:grouphug:

Do not focus on the negatives, focus on the fact that you have learned your own weaknesses and are actively working on them. I have horrible social anxiety and OCD - but I'm aware of it, and I work towards conquering it every day. I tell people who I become friends with so that they can understand my quirks - but not to get any sort of pity. I tell them to call me on anything that I need to work on :)

Since a few other people posted tehy have depression, I will say I deal with that too, but it never entered my mind as a difficulty or issue when I initially responded to this thread. It is there. I monitor it and deal with it when it flares. It is more seasonal anyway now that I am done having kids.

I am not a people person, it is not due to a Dx or anything, I just don't like people very much. I don't like social conventions, I don't get them usually. I look forward to becoming a hermit in the woods when my kids are grown. Those things aren't difficulities, or issues etc It is just a part of who I am, and have always been, so I didn't consider any of those things, though someone else might.

I have depression, sometimes completely under control and sometimes not. I may be Aspie. It'd be on the mild side, but there are definitely tendencies. Sometimes I'm obtuse and need things spelled out.

I also have a problem with "word finding." I've never had help with this, but it showed up several years ago, and I attribute it to the meds I was on for depression.

Of course, that could be old(er) age, too. :D

See, I don't think there are any of us who DON'T have issues. Some of us just have more than one subscription!:D

When I began researching Aspergers Syndrome (which my daughter has), I discovers that I have, or had, many of those traits. Some, like sudden changes in routine, or my perceived/anticipated schedule, used to drive me NUTS. I NEEDED time to mentally adjust. I've since learns that life doesn't always afford that luxury so you deal with it.

OP, congrats on learning to read, and comprehend, well. The majority of folks don't accomplish that because they find it so difficult.

I probably also have a bit of ADD and I KNoW I'm mildly dyslexic, although I've never been formally assessed.

Am I 'neurotypical'? In some aspects perhaps but not totally. What fun would

that be?? :lol:

I have mild athetoid cerebral palsy, visual-spatial LD, and constructive apraxia. I'm also considered "gifted", so spent years hearing how I wasn't living up to my potential. It wasn't until I started trying to figure out my own child that I realized that, in my case, the e's kind of averaged each other out and made it possible to stay on grade level.

I'm simply socially inept. Nothing particular that I can blame it on other than lack of practice. I'm just a bit weird. And I'm not a nice person.

Me too.

I am really logical (or try to be) and I find it frustrating that other people are not. I also don't 'get' emotional responses to things but I understand that other people have them. I just need to remember that more.

I'm also an introvert. I've very sarcastic. I don't 'get' social stuff. I was identified as gifted in public school, for all the good that did. I think I'm normal, I just think most other people can be really stupid.

I really don't think I have anxiety at all although I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety, mainly because I have never actually felt anxious. Isn't that logical? What I felt was chest pain and since my mom died at at 52 from a heart attack I thought perhaps I should look into it. But the cardiac thing was fine. So, they decided I have generalized anxiety and that the chest pain, rapid heart rate, ect. was caused by that. CBT was a complete bust for me. I do have some OCD things going on, and my temper is apparently legendary.

Maybe 'weird' or even better 'eccentric' covers it.

Edited by Rainefox

When I first had my children, I tried to remember that everyone's issues are big to them. Nothing is easy the first time you go through it.

I still try to remember that now, even when I envy others their "easy" lives.

I never thought I would have to deal with a child with serious medical issues. I had the pride to think we could easily handle something like that. I'm a lot more selfish and impatient than I thought I was. I feel the loss of what I could be and could do without this situation. I feel the loss of who he was before this all started. Everything is a lot different (and often harder) then you think it will be.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and OCD years ago. I am waiting for a referral to a counselor but I'm pretty sure I would have an ADD and other issues they would diagnose as well. My life is fairly impossible day to day soemtimes. I'm on zoloft for the OCD, anxiety and ppd. That makes life much more manageable. But I still have ADD issues (I don't trust the meds while bf), and a complete social inability. I try really hard and have gotten fairly good at faking normal when I need to.

I have a physical disability, with associated chronic pain. So, although it's very different, it's always nice to know (in a ironically horrible way) that there are other single parents who have their own personal struggles.

I also have a brother-in-law with Asperger's and they just adopted an 18 month old boy. I can see how tough the change in routine and priorities is for him, so :grouphug:.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and OCD years ago. I am waiting for a referral to a counselor but I'm pretty sure I would have an ADD and other issues they would diagnose as well. My life is fairly impossible day to day soemtimes. I'm on zoloft for the OCD, anxiety and ppd. That makes life much more manageable. But I still have ADD issues (I don't trust the meds while bf), and a complete social inability. I try really hard and have gotten fairly good at faking normal when I need to.

:iagree: I can do anything as long as I have a behavior pattern to follow because I can fake normal 90% of the time. If I don't have an idea of normal or a pattern I'm totally lost.

Since a few other people posted tehy have depression, I will say I deal with that too, but it never entered my mind as a difficulty or issue when I initially responded to this thread. It is there. I monitor it and deal with it when it flares. It is more seasonal anyway now that I am done having kids.

I am not a people person, it is not due to a Dx or anything, I just don't like people very much. I don't like social conventions, I don't get them usually. I look forward to becoming a hermit in the woods when my kids are grown. Those things aren't difficulities, or issues etc It is just a part of who I am, and have always been, so I didn't consider any of those things, though someone else might.

Same here. Now that I'm done with pregnancies, the depression isn't as debilitating. And I don't like people all that much, except the ones in my house. People don't believe me when I tell them I'm going to be a hermit as soon as the youngest goes off to college/life. I've already got a nice duplex on quiet street a couple of blocks from the beach in a will-not-be-named beach town in FL. A fellow hermit has already agreed to live in the other side. We can still be friends without having to interact.

I have my issues. :tongue_smilie:

But I think the one that will effect my home schooling most is...

I am pretty sure I have a audio learning problem. For example if I ask my dh how to spell a word he can't give me more than 3 letters at a time without confusing me. Sometimes just two is more than enough. That includes a short word, or a word I just don't know a short piece of. It just confuses me so much to have things spoken to me.

I suppose it makes me more sympathetic to my boys. I am just amazed at there ability to process information via audio. Know when I am needing to learn how to say something tricky I just get my dh to teach me with my boys present so they can correct me need be.

It can take me over 100 times of hearing a certain word and trying to say it over 100 times and I still might not be able to get it right. I still might not now what order the sounds go in. Who ever came up with the name "Little Lord Fauntleroy" was extremely mean!

It's almost like things start spinning and twisting about when I try to concentrate on the order of the sounds. It's hard to explain.

I do sometimes wonder if I have something that has a name that I can get help for it.

I can read just fine. I feel I'm pretty bright. I was teaching college when I was 20 in a subject I just taught myself a year before. (Computer programming and system administration)

Me too.

I am really logical (or try to be) and I find it frustrating that other people are not. I also don't 'get' emotional responses to things but I understand that other people have them. I just need to remember that more.

I'm also an introvert. I've very sarcastic. I don't 'get' social stuff. I was identified as gifted in public school, for all the good that did. I think I'm normal, I just think most other people can be really stupid.

My soul sister! :grouphug:

I have my issues. :tongue_smilie:

But I think the one that will effect my home schooling most is...

I am pretty sure I have a audio learning problem. For example if I ask my dh how to spell a word he can't give me more than 3 letters at a time without confusing me. Sometimes just two is more than enough. That includes a short word, or a word I just don't know a short piece of. It just confuses me so much to have things spoken to me.

I suppose it makes me more sympathetic to my boys. I am just amazed at there ability to process information via audio. Know when I am needing to learn how to say something tricky I just get my dh to teach me with my boys present so they can correct me need be.

It can take me over 100 times of hearing a certain word and trying to say it over 100 times and I still might not be able to get it right. I still might not now what order the sounds go in. Who ever came up with the name "Little Lord Fauntleroy" was extremely mean!

It's almost like things start spinning and twisting about when I try to concentrate on the order of the sounds. It's hard to explain.

I do sometimes wonder if I have something that has a name that I can get help for it.

I can read just fine. I feel I'm pretty bright. I was teaching college when I was 20 in a subject I just taught myself a year before. (Computer programming and system administration)

This sounds like CAPD.

When I first had my children, I tried to remember that everyone's issues are big to them. Nothing is easy the first time you go through it.

I still try to remember that now, even when I envy others their "easy" lives.

I never thought I would have to deal with a child with serious medical issues. I had the pride to think we could easily handle something like that. I'm a lot more selfish and impatient than I thought I was. I feel the loss of what I could be and could do without this situation. I feel the loss of who he was before this all started. Everything is a lot different (and often harder) then you think it will be.

:grouphug: :-(

Are you my twin??

Me too.

or are YOU my twin??

Robin in NJ

Same here. Now that I'm done with pregnancies, the depression isn't as debilitating. And I don't like people all that much, except the ones in my house. People don't believe me when I tell them I'm going to be a hermit as soon as the youngest goes off to college/life. I've already got a nice duplex on quiet street a couple of blocks from the beach in a will-not-be-named beach town in FL. A fellow hermit has already agreed to live in the other side. We can still be friends without having to interact.

Thread hijack: *Siiiiiiigggghhh* That sounds AWESOME. I'm jealous of your fellow hermit.

Oh, I definitely have serious issues, but I don't like to hang them out on the internet. But I can definitely own the introvert thing.

I am an introvert, I have sensory issues, and I am very antisocial on the superficial level. I dislike pointless chit-chat and insincere niceties. This leads to a lot of mistaken assumptions about me being cold and uncaring. These are very far from the truth. But much of what people exchange socially is irritating to me and it gives me a headache, so I avoid it and live with the consequences of appearing aloof.

Oh, I am undoubtedly on the spectrum all right - back when I was a kid they just did not know about Asperger's , or I am sure that is what I would have been labeled as such (yup, I am old as the hills). Have you read the book Shadow Syndromes?

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Syndromes-Mental-Disorders-Sabotage/dp/0553379593/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333638346&sr=1-1

Like one or two others here (that I know of) I have Chronic Fatigue with Fibromyalgia. It is, quite literally, a right royal pain.

For example, I went to an Aquacise class on Tuesday, thinking that maybe, just maybe, a little mild exercise would be ok. The class was comprised of ladies who were, if you'll forgive me, older and significantly bigger than me (and I'd put myself in the overweight category). I probably managed less than half of what they did. Today, Thursday, I am still in a LOT of pain to the point of creeping around the house a la Hunchback of Notre Dame. It is SO frustrating.

I'm currently seeing an Occupational Therapist to help me learn to regulate what I do better, and a Psychiatrist with whom I discuss my anxiety issues, which are a big part of why I have CFS in the first place.

Me too.

:001_huh: That last paragraph is me to a T.

I also have chronic, treatment-resistant depression.

I, too, look forward to hermit life.