Menu

10-year-old with cerebral palsy

I see a lot of posts on here about children with autism, but I haven't seen anything from parents of children with CP. My son, Michael, is completely wheelchair bound, cannot speak, has very limited movement of his body in general, and has a trach.

However, he does have the ability to hit buttons with his hands, sometimes his fingers. We have an iPad that he is learning how to use to communicate.

Michael is very bright. For a while we were able to use a white board to give him choices, and he would touch the choice. This is how we learned that he could already read some and knew how to do at least double-digit math problems.

Are there any parents out there that have a child in a situation anything like this? I have struggled with how I can make sure he is learning as much as he can. I know he soaks up things like a sponge. One thing we have been doing is playing videos from Khan Academy for math. He seems to enjoy those.

I am open to any suggestions for ways I might be able to help him to learn.

Thanks.

How about a subscription to Discovery Education Streaming Plus? It's expensive ($199 through HSBC) but we've watched a ton of videos. This can be accessed from an ipad too. BrainPOP has some fun videos. They have an app if you want to check out some videos. A subscription is pretty expensive also. We have found some great science videos on youtube. I can't think of any off the top of my head... Hopefully you will get some helpful replies!

I don't know if any of these would help but it will give you more options of things for him to watch or listen to:

Mr Q. Life science in audio format:

My husband made the audio recording, Mr. Q says we can give it away for free since he gives away the book for free on his website

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318441&highlight=Mr.+Q+audio+science

Donald in Mathmagic Land!!! (free on youtube)

Flatland the movie

The Story of 1 (very nice and free on youtube)

You can read more about them in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363030

Our ^dd^ in the last year of her life was in a similar situation. She was younger than your son, but also very bright. We used a combination of video and audio materials, including interesting audiobooks. There are audio textbooks available as well through a number of websites...bookshare and learning ally. He would qualify through his physical disability.

I imagine that you have some way of communicating at least yes/no and of offering choices...so I imagine he has some preferences of what he likes learning about. I'd follow his interests....

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!

Julie, I will check out those links. Thanks!

dmmetler, I just downloaded Rover. I am looking forward to seeing what it can help with.

prairiewindmomma, thank you for the resources for audio books. I have been trying to find those.

dsmith, we are not able to purchase those subscription right now, but I will definitely keep them in mind for the future.

:001_smile: