Menu

Tubes in ears surgically removed

Has your DC had to have ear tubes removed?  

1. 1. Has your DC had to have ear tubes removed?

• Yes, my kid's tubes had to be surgically removed.
    • Nope, my kid's tubes fell out on their own.
    • My kid never had to have tubes. Yea!

Have your kids had to have ear tubes removed? DS6 had his put in almost 3 years ago, and although they are supposed to have fallen out by now, they haven't budged. I was just wondering how rare this really was, or if it happens all the time? He is slated to have them surgically removed on April 12. I hate having to put him under general anesthesia for that!

My ds had his tubes in his ears for 5 years... I wanted to wait to see if they'd fall out on their own.

My next 2 kids lost their tubes on their own. My daughter has had two sets now and is needing a 3rd.

Personally I'd rather have them stay in too long than not long enough.

I would vote "none of the above."

My DS had tubes in at 11 months. The ENT removed them in the office several years later. He had a camera thing that he inserted into the ear so DS could watch what he was doing on a monitor and DS sat calmly to have them removed.

If I remember right, they had partially fallen out, but still attached on one side. I do remember that they bled a bit at the time and the next morning he woke up with a bit of dried blood on his sheets.

Have your kids had to have ear tubes removed? DS6 had his put in almost 3 years ago, and although they are supposed to have fallen out by now, they haven't budged. I was just wondering how rare this really was, or if it happens all the time? He is slated to have them surgically removed on April 12. I hate having to put him under general anesthesia for that!

Dd had to have her tubes removed but not because they wouldn't fall out. She had developed a severe MRSA infection in both middle ears.

My oldest had tubes put in at 8mo and had to have them surgically removed at 2 1/2. The one in the right ear was being pushed out like it was supposed to but it became lodged in the canal preventing the ear drum from closing and causing the ear to bleed. The left one was o.k. At that point , but the dr. Felt it better to remove both at the same time rather then taking the chance of her possibly requiring another surgery.

Edited by akmommy

My kids have never had tubes, but I had several. All but one fell out on its own. The one that didn't was taken in the drs office w/o anesthesia. I also had one tube put in at the drs office w/o anesthesia. I was 7/8 when they did it w/o putting me under so you could ask if they could do it as an office visit while awake.

My dd turns four next month. She had her tubes put in at fourteen months old. At her last doctor's appointment, our doc said we'll give it another year, and if they haven't fallen out by then, he wants them removed.

I don't know how common it is, but our doc seemed completely gobsmacked that her tubes were still in there.

My daughter's tubes fell out on their own (it took quite awhile though. She was 11 months when they went in and 4/5 by the time both fell out.

But when I was a kid, I had tubes put in at 4, came out on their own at 7. Tubes back in at 8, taken out surgically at... 13? There was a hole in one of my ear drums and I needed a paper patch put on.

My daughter's tubes fell out on their own (it took quite awhile though. She was 11 months when they went in and 4/5 by the time both fell out.

But when I was a kid, I had tubes put in at 4, came out on their own at 7. Tubes back in at 8, taken out surgically at... 13? There was a hole in one of my ear drums and I needed a paper patch put on.

Yeah, the ENT told us that if we don't take them out soon, there is a good chance holes will develop in the ear drums and could cause serious hearing damage. So I feel like we need to go ahead and take them out. Did you have any hearing loss at all after that hole in your ear drum?

This whole thing is hard for me because in the past 3 years I have changed my philosophy on health in general. We now try to live as "naturally" as possible, and we see a more holistic pediatrician. I avoid toxins, chemicals, etc. as much as I can. So for me to put him under anesthesia is difficult! But I don't see a good way around it, since I don't want holes in his ear drums, either!

Another poster said her tubes were removed in the office and didn't require anesthesia, but maybe that was because they were partially dislodged already?

Ah, the decisions we have to make as parents! :confused:

It is great reading about your experiences. Makes me feel not so alone!

Ds had one set of tubes put in at 18 months. One tube fell out and the other removed. The only reason it was not done in the office was because of his behavior. However, once the doc got it out he was ds was under. The was basically glued to the ear drum and would have been painful had he been awake.

Im not sure i understand the hearing loss. I have tubes in my ears (well, one ear because the new ent stinks) and the goal was to create a permanent hole so that i could hear well.

My dd turns four next month. She had her tubes put in at fourteen months old. At her last doctor's appointment, our doc said we'll give it another year, and if they haven't fallen out by then, he wants them removed.

I don't know how common it is, but our doc seemed completely gobsmacked that her tubes were still in there.

Really? My daughter got tubes at 14 months too and they were definitely still in at 4. They eventually fell out on their own and the ped never made a big deal that they had lasted so long. And she has had 1 ear infection since she was 14 months old, so for us they were definitely the right decision!

My son had to have them in at 3.5. He's 8. Last I knew (6.5) one was still in but at his last well check (7.5) the doctor couldn't tell due to wax. I guess maybe I need to take him to ENT?

I would take him to an ENT, yes, especially since the regular doc wasn't sure. We've done ENT check-ups every six months since DS had his tubes put in.

I would vote "none of the above."

My DS had tubes in at 11 months. The ENT removed them in the office several years later. He had a camera thing that he inserted into the ear so DS could watch what he was doing on a monitor and DS sat calmly to have them removed.

If I remember right, they had partially fallen out, but still attached on one side. I do remember that they bled a bit at the time and the next morning he woke up with a bit of dried blood on his sheets.

:iagree: I had tubes as a child and they did not fall out on their own. The doctor prescribed something to relax me and then removed them in the office. It did pinch some, but it wasn't anything horrible.

Lisa

My dd had tubes in and around the time they should have fallen out, she started waking up with a bloody ear. We took her back to the ENT and basically one was trying to come out, but was somehow stuck. She had them surgically removed.

I know many parents get nervous about anesthesia, but it's such a quick procedure to remove tubes, there isn't a huge cause for concern. It's basically done because little ones won't be perfectly still otherwise. It's also less traumatic for them.

My DD has never had tubes, but my DH has permanent ones. I'd say about half of his tubes, before he had the permanent ones, had to be removed and a new one placed. Even with the permanent ones (which aren't really permanent-they last about 10 years, though), one actually fell IN to the ear and had to be removed surgically, and another fell out.