Menu

Dr. Hive - Do you recognize this rash? (pic)

This started about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago with just a small (3in. diam) on side of hips. That 'mostly' went away but then it started in elbow creases and behind (and on sides) of knees. For a week it would come and go like hives, then last week this came on back of knees. VERY itchy for a minute or less maybe 2-3 times a day. Otherwise, it's just there. We were on vacation last week and the itching was unbearable when it happened. I went to a doctor last Thursday who gave me a prednisone shot, strong antihistamine and cortisone cream. Definitely helped for a few days. We are home now and I was just awakened with terrible itching again and this is what the back of my legs look like.post-18398-13535086493687_thumb.jpg

post-18398-13535086493687_thumb.jpg

If it weren't for the fact that you went to the dr, I'd say eczema. It always presents on the inside of elbows and behind the knees for me and my kids. But I would think a dr would know that. Sorry, not much help.

Hope you get some answers.

Thank you.

In the picture it looks like one huge welt but when it was better, after the shot, it looked quite different. post-18398-13535086493816_thumb.jpg

The doctor's response when he saw it? 'You're allergic to something.' :confused: He asked about new clothes, meds, car seat cleaner, etc. Nothing has changed and until this I was on no meds. We got home from trip and I immediatley rewashed my sheets and clothes with chemical free detergent. I didn't start itching again until I'd been in bed about 2 hours.

Really hoping someone recognizes it.

post-18398-13535086493816_thumb.jpg

I have had 3 similar rashes (me or my kids lol)

1. was "abnormal" german measles. I had had all my shots, 3 doctors I went to were stupefide about what it was, i finally went and saw a lovely chinese doctor, who told me this, and gave me cream for it, so it ended up lasting overall (from onset) about 2 weeks. There was one point where it looked like I had been burnt from top to bottom, it started off as a rash, but the rashes formed together and created massive welts.

2. Seen on my son & daughters - heat rash, but unless you are in a hotter area over there...

3, Contact Dermatitis, I think its called. Basically contact allergy. Were you wearing poly clothes or something? I still haven't figured out what I get the allergy from, it just happens every now and again, and even after multiple detailings of our house and anything I have touched I am still unsure.

Other than that, no ideas :grouphug:

I'm with the others in that it looks like exzema or a contact rash. The fact that it's presenting in creases and the temps in Michigan were more like summer temps also contributes.

Even chemical free detergents can cause allergic reactions. I've also had times when there were formula changes to my existing products which caused them to suddenly be problematic.

I would consider making an appointment with a dermatologist. There are a lot of meds on the market and while my allergist and primary care physicican are willing to write prescriptions, it's usually my dermatologist who nails it and gets me to the med that helps the most.

Keep it uncovered as much as possible. One night of sweating can undo a lot of healing.

I'm with the others in that it looks like exzema or a contact rash. The fact that it's presenting in creases and the temps in Michigan were more like summer temps also contributes.

Even chemical free detergents can cause allergic reactions. I've also had times when there were formula changes to my existing products which caused them to suddenly be problematic.

I would consider making an appointment with a dermatologist. There are a lot of meds on the market and while my allergist and primary care physicican are willing to write prescriptions, it's usually my dermatologist who nails it and gets me to the med that helps the most.

Keep it uncovered as much as possible. One night of sweating can undo a lot of healing.

:iagree:

I had a rash like that, it car and went and inched like crazy. I have bad knees and they were really bothering me so I had taken Naproxen for a few days, stopped that when my knees felt better, then had a killer head ache and took Advil for a few days. Then the rash happened. It came and went on different areas and we finally figured out it was an allergic reaction to NSAIDS. I have taken them since Jr high for headache and since college for my knees, bit only on occasion and never more than a few days. I had talent something daily for a week. My body reacted.

There was no way to het rid of it. I packed it with an oatmeal mask. That relieved the Itching while it was on and for a little while after. I did it a few times a day. In my head, it made them shrink :)

If it is hives, they can take six weeks to run their course. I hope that you get an answer or get them cleared up soon.

Have you been taking ibuprofen? I took Ibu for years as my only pain killer. Then I had DD4 and took it after my c-section and suddenly was covered in hives that look like your legs. Which totally stinks because tylenol just doesn't always cut it for me. (Same thing happened to my mom in her mid-30s so apparently it's genetic)

I have had 3 similar rashes (me or my kids lol)

1. was "abnormal" german measles. I had had all my shots, 3 doctors I went to were stupefide about what it was, i finally went and saw a lovely chinese doctor, who told me this, and gave me cream for it, so it ended up lasting overall (from onset) about 2 weeks. There was one point where it looked like I had been burnt from top to bottom, it started off as a rash, but the rashes formed together and created massive welts.

2. Seen on my son & daughters - heat rash, but unless you are in a hotter area over there...

3, Contact Dermatitis, I think its called. Basically contact allergy. Were you wearing poly clothes or something? I still haven't figured out what I get the allergy from, it just happens every now and again, and even after multiple detailings of our house and anything I have touched I am still unsure.

Other than that, no ideas :grouphug:

1. Had never considered the first one. It's not on my face, neck or trunk. The itching and welts come and go. I'll keep this in mind.

2. My kids have had this and I'm pretty sure it's not heat related.

3. I've seen this in my research. I just can't figure out what might be different. Unless something I've always used has changed it's ingredients, like detergent.

It was getting better, 3 days of no itching then I woke last night and the back of one leg was itching terribly. Antihistamine finally stopped it. Maddening!

Thanks for your input.

I was thinking this too. I tried to get an appointment with a dermatologist in TX, No openings for weeks. Hopefully the one I've used here can get me in. I thought it would go away with the shot and meds. I'm thinking no.

Do you think a good workout sweating would help??

I had a rash like that, it car and went and inched like crazy. I have bad knees and they were really bothering me so I had taken Naproxen for a few days, stopped that when my knees felt better, then had a killer head ache and took Advil for a few days. Then the rash happened. It came and went on different areas and we finally figured out it was an allergic reaction to NSAIDS. I have taken them since Jr high for headache and since college for my knees, bit only on occasion and never more than a few days. I had talent something daily for a week. My body reacted.

There was no way to het rid of it. I packed it with an oatmeal mask. That relieved the Itching while it was on and for a little while after. I did it a few times a day. In my head, it made them shrink :)

If it is hives, they can take six weeks to run their course. I hope that you get an answer or get them cleared up soon.

I hadn't taken any 'drug' but I will definitley keep that in mind. SIX WEEKS! Oh my. I hope not!!!

I hadn't taken any 'drug' but I will definitley keep that in mind. SIX WEEKS! Oh my. I hope not!!!

Mine came and went for at least a month. I had a day or two of relief and then they popped back up :( They can be quicker, I hope they are for you. If the doctor said you were allergic to something, I would assume it is hives.

Have you been taking ibuprofen? I took Ibu for years as my only pain killer. Then I had DD4 and took it after my c-section and suddenly was covered in hives that look like your legs. Which totally stinks because tylenol just doesn't always cut it for me. (Same thing happened to my mom in her mid-30s so apparently it's genetic)

Wow. I will really be keeping my eye on ibuprofen. We don't take much if anything around here but I hadn't heard about allergic reactions to NSAIDS.

Mine came and went for at least a month. I had a day or two of relief and then they popped back up :( They can be quicker, I hope they are for you. If the doctor said you were allergic to something, I would assume it is hives.

Did you ever pin point what you were allergic to? I used to get hives when I was stressed, but they never turned into the rash in the second picture.