Menu

Looking for a *thin* pizza crust recipe

My pizza dough recipe is just a little too...poofy...to make really good *thin* crust, so I'm on the hunt for a recipe that's specifically meant to be thin.

Really thin.

Skeletal.

Any help would be appreciated, but I'd like to make it for tonight (got a hankering for sun-dried tomato pizza!), so early responders will get...well, I guess my gratitude. :D

Hi Jill,

Here's my pizza dough recipe - I make 2 rectangular pizzas out of it. (typical cookie sheet size)

I use a Kitchen-Aid mixer for this:

In mixer, sprinkle 1 package yeast (or 1 T. yeast) over 1 cup warm water (110) and let stand for 5 minutes to soften.

Stir in 1/2 t. salt, and 2 t. olive oil. Add 2 C. all-purpose flour, mix to blend.

With mixer, or wooden spoon, beat until dough is elastic. Stir in 3/4 C. more flour to make a soft dough, and then up to 1/2 C more to make a nice, smooth ball. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise to double its size.

Sometimes, I will have to pull off some of the dough before I roll it out, if I think the dough will be too thick. This is the recipe I use for my salad pie, which entails rolling out the dough, placing it on the cookie sheets, adding a layer of sauce and heating it in the oven until the crust starts to brown.

I then take it out, cool slightly, and add my salad toppings. My crust always comes out thin and crusty.

This is just a suggestion, not sure if it will work but it makes sense to me.

What would happen if you made your regular dough and punched it down an extra time to knock back the yeast? Would the yeast eventually "run out" and be less puffy. I'm thinking add an extra step and see if it does not rise as much the next time around.

Let me know what you have success with. I love those thin crust pizzas.

(And anyone else who still wants to chime in!)

This is what I've found in my searches, and it sounds like it might give me what I'm after (although both of your suggestions sound good, too...I think that the use of the word 'cracker' in this description is what piqued my interest. ;) )

Cracker Thin Pizza Crust

But the recipe takes 24 hours! Waaah!

I guess the sun-dried tomato pizza will have to wait a day. :-(

My pizza dough recipe is just a little too...poofy...to make really good *thin* crust, so I'm on the hunt for a recipe that's specifically meant to be thin.

Really thin.

Skeletal.

Any help would be appreciated, but I'd like to make it for tonight (got a hankering for sun-dried tomato pizza!), so early responders will get...well, I guess my gratitude. :D

I know nothing about thin crust pizza dough, but wanted to let you know that I love the new look on your blog :thumbup:. And I have to mention that I've never forgiven Craig Kilborn for leaving, so I've taken it out on Craig Ferguson, but now because of you I'll have to at least give the man a chance next time I'm up that late.