Menu

s/o fav hand / finger fidget item

momma aimee

here is the orgainal thread

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313828

I am seeking something for my little boys HANDS while we school. we have tried a stress ball but it is too much a ball and soon rolls off or flies.

i let him color when i read, but he needs something he can mess with while he is working (not just listening)

First, let me say, I didn't read through the original thread.

Are you asking for your 4 year old or 6 year old? Either way, maybe read during snack/meal times. This has worked well for us. Also, clay or play dough. My oldest, with sensory issues, sits on a big exercise ball instead of a chair. Sometimes, it does fly out from under him but we move on. I've read some things about movement being necessary for some kids, either while learning or in between learning activities, that this actually increases their ability to learn, so I've been trying to be more open to his need to move constantly.

I haven't tried this, but Kirk Martin, who has a program called Celebrate Calm, recommends putting a strip of something textured under the table so they can run their hands on it. I can't think of what it is. Maybe one side of velcro? The idea is to give them something for the sensory input they crave.

Hope that helps.

My son is a fidgeter and has his own favorites....

A rope that he twists

A magnet and a chain (the kind that often comes with an ID tag), he like to twist/untwist the chain around the magnet

A bunch of carabiners that he has put together in a chain and that he likes to hold and play with.

Had one of those "must fidget to listen" DSs, too. :) Here are some ideas that worked for us -- a few tips: avoid things that click, clank or make noise; avoid things that will be used on a sibling (example: Chinese yoyos) -- ASK me how I know!! :eek: And Legos *can* be a problem as they can take away TOO much of the attention (and can be loud if they are "rummaging" through a bin full of pieces).

I had a small basket and would put 4-5 different things in it, and rotate items every 1-2 weeks:

- pipe cleaners (sometimes called "chenille")

- set of spring clothespins or little spring hair clips

- koosh balls

- SMALL metal slinky

- Wikki Sticks

- magnets -- set of magni-stones, and a set of donut shaped ones each went over well

- magnet sets (especially those with a magnetic base and metal shapes that allow you to make "sculptures" with all the individual shapes sticking together)

- Chinese finger puzzle -- or make one

- bendable/twistable/jointed figures

- clay

- tangle; wire "magic loop"; bendeez; geo-twisters; water tube; flex box (see here)

- roll/lay/slouch on a big exercise ball while listening

I really like the previous poster's idea of tactile things -- several small pieces of fake fur with different "knap" to them, a silk handkerchief, small piece of plushy material or small "beanie baby" would have gone over well with our DS... A lot of things you wouldn't think of that you may have around the house, or can get at the Dollar Store -- an old broken necklace chain; a few "rubber band bracelets (I advise AGAINST rubberbands -- siblings become targets); maybe a GeoBoard if you have one; make a "cootie catcher"; homemade bean bag, filled with rice for squeezing -- watch out, this could be thrown at siblings, or could burst a seam...

BEST of luck with your fidgety active listeners! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Had one of those "must fidget to listen" DSs, too. :) Here are some ideas that worked for us -- a few tips: avoid things that click, clank or make noise; avoid things that will be used on a sibling (example: Chinese yoyos) -- ASK me how I know!! :eek: And Legos *can* be a problem as they can take away TOO much of the attention (and can be loud if they are "rummaging" through a bin full of pieces).

I had a small basket and would put 4-5 different things in it, and rotate items every 1-2 weeks:

- pipe cleaners (sometimes called "chenille")

- set of spring clothespins or little spring hair clips

- koosh balls

- SMALL metal slinky

- Wikki Sticks

- magnets -- set of magni-stones, and a set of donut shaped ones each went over well

- magnet sets (especially those with a magnetic base and metal shapes that allow you to make "sculptures" with all the individual shapes sticking together)

- Chinese finger puzzle -- or make one

- bendable/twistable/jointed figures

- clay

- tangle; wire "magic loop"; bendeez; geo-twisters; water tube; flex box (see here)

- roll/lay/slouch on a big exercise ball while listening

I really like the previous poster's idea of tactile things -- several small pieces of fake fur with different "knap" to them, a silk handkerchief, small piece of plushy material or small "beanie baby" would have gone over well with our DS... A lot of things you wouldn't think of that you may have around the house, or can get at the Dollar Store -- an old broken necklace chain; a few "rubber band bracelets (I advise AGAINST rubberbands -- siblings become targets); maybe a GeoBoard if you have one; make a "cootie catcher"; homemade bean bag, filled with rice for squeezing -- watch out, this could be thrown at siblings, or could burst a seam...

BEST of luck with your fidgety active listeners! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Wow! Great stuff! Thanks for all the suggestions.

If you follow the link for the slinky, towards the top of the page I noticed a whole category of fidget toys! Amazing!

Thanks again!