Menu

Singapore 1 vs Horizons K

Aubrey

3yo & 4yo are finishing Singapore K this year. Since they're so little, I was thinking Horizons K would be a good choice for their K year and Singapore 1 the following year. It looks like Horizons teaches a little more than Singapore K, so they would still be moving forward. I want them to continue to enjoy math, be challenged, but not get in over their heads.

On the other hand, I've been using Singapore for over six years with my older two– – maybe I shouldn't try to fix what's not broken? Singapore is also quite a bit less expensive.

What do you think?

LOL--I don't want to buy THREE math programs for K! My only concern w/ Singapore is having them get too far ahead of themselves. Math was really easy for them this year & they loved it--my 3yo wanted his own wb so bad, he asked for one for Christmas & in that amt of time has almost caught up to 4yo.

I'm afraid that "playing math" this year...well, it was so easy, that there's got to be a significant mental jump in there somewhere, whether it's from K to 1 or 1 to 2...& I don't want that to hit them in the face & make them think they don't like math any more. I'd be surprised if they're *really* ready for SM 1. Kwim? We've been counting things this year, learning to write numbers, doing more/less than.

Horizons K says they teach skip counting, which I haven't seen in SM K so far. I thought it might be a good bridge between SM K & SM 1. But then I realized it was going to cost twice as much & was an unknown, so I just want to be more certain before I order it. Maybe SM 1 is fine after all. If Horizons were cheaper, I'd just go ahead w/ that plan.

MEP is free. I would link but I am on my kindle. I would probally do Singapore with MEP if you plan to stay with Singapore. If they are not ready you can always put away the workbooks and just play math games.

ETA:Here is the link for MEP http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Edited by Lynn213220

To add you don't need the tg for Horizons K. I think the workbooks are only $15 each if you wanted to go that route.

Yeah, I only figured wb's for Horizons--it comes to about $64 for 2 kids. Singapore tb & wb is only about $36 for 2 kids.

MEP is free. I would link but I am on my kindle. I would probally do Singapore with MEP if you plan to stay with Singapore. If they are not ready you can always put away the workbooks and just play math games.

ETA:Here is the link for MEP http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Aw--you didn't have to do that! Thank you, though. This looks like a good resource...I'm not very good at using computer sources, though. :001_unsure: I tend to go overboard w/ printing or forget to use it at all. :lol:

Yeah, I only figured wb's for Horizons--it comes to about $64 for 2 kids. Singapore tb & wb is only about $36 for 2 kids.

How is it only $36? I just ordered 1A and 1B TB and WB for $50 some dollars and that was the cheapest I could find it and that is only for one kid. If I would have ordered for two it would have been $70ish.

Aw--you didn't have to do that! Thank you, though. This looks like a good resource...I'm not very good at using computer sources, though. :001_unsure: I tend to go overboard w/ printing or forget to use it at all. :lol:

LOL...neither am I. We tried Math Mammoth and I would always forget to print it until the sec we needed it.:tongue_smilie:

I am using MEP, Singapore 1a (at the moment) and Horizons K with a 4.5 year old at the moment. What I do is let her choose 2 of the 3 each day (this also gives me an idea which she prefers and she often tells me why - at the moment MEP is her favourite) Then we do as much as we can fit in in about 10 minutes unless she chooses to go on much longer which has been happening lately in MEP.

Horizons and Singapore are quite different - Horizons is spiral and covers a lot of topics though Horizons K does not seem to move on to subtraction (I haven't looked all the way through) and uses bigger numbers earlier on. It does teach skip counting early on. My DD likes the colour and change in activities in Horizons - with Singapore I had to move her onto the whiteboard to keep her attention.

MEP she likes because it is problem solving and she likes being able to colour in pictures. If you feel like a change I would try MEP first cause its free. I would probably only switch to Horizons if you think you need spiral or if the colour is very appealing to your child.

We just added in things to Singapore K. We worked on math facts when they were doing addition and subtraction, then added in more skip counting when they did the few lessons on that in Singapore.

If Singapore is working and they are doing well, I'd hesitate to change it for a different program. Why fix what isn't broken, KWIM?

How is it only $36? I just ordered 1A and 1B TB and WB for $50 some dollars and that was the cheapest I could find it and that is only for one kid. If I would have ordered for two it would have been $70ish.

At Rainbow Resource and Christian Book, Standards Edition:

TB is $13.50 and WB is $13

So for 2 kids, you'd need $13.50+$13+$13 = $39.50.

Add in a HIG at $18.30, and you're up to $44.80 for one kid.

At Rainbow Resource and Christian Book, Standards Edition:

TB is $13.50 and WB is $13

So for 2 kids, you'd need $13.50+$13+$13 = $39.50.

Add in a HIG at $18.30, and you're up to $44.80 for one kid.

Yes but that is only for half the years worth. I just ordered (couple weeks ago) through RR and ordered 1A TB, WB and 1B WB and TB and spent close to $60 with shipping. For the entire year it would be

1aTB: $13.50

1aWB x2: $26

1bTB: $13.50

1bWB x2: $26.00

= $79 not including the HIG.

I was just confused because it came off as she was getting the entire years worth for $36 and not just 1A. :)

No, I think I was the confused one. You clearly said 1A and 1B, and I only saw the 1A. :lol:

It's worse here--I've never paid more than $9/book, so I estimated to myself, "9x6=36." And not. one. person. in. this. house. corrected me! :svengo: :lol:

Horizons and Singapore are quite different - Horizons is spiral and covers a lot of topics though Horizons K does not seem to move on to subtraction (I haven't looked all the way through) and uses bigger numbers earlier on. It does teach skip counting early on. My DD likes the colour and change in activities in Horizons - with Singapore I had to move her onto the whiteboard to keep her attention.

Oh! So you're saying Horizons K looks like it covers more than Singapore K because of the spiral approach. That makes sense.

I'd thought about slowing them down by focusing on math facts this coming year...something I waited too long for w/ my big ones (but bleh! I hate teaching math facts!).