Menu

Help me pick our next read aloud :-)

amsunshine

I'm stumped as to what to read next.:)

We are currently using SOTW 3. Our most recent read alouds have been Witch of Blackbird Pond, Ben and Me, The Willoughbys (for fun), and currently, The Lacemaker and the Princess. I'm planning on the third Harry Potter book at the end of the year.

My dds have both just read Johnny Tremain on their own.

Here are some of the books I'm considering next:

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Heidi (I know it doesn't go with the history cycle, but I sometimes like to throw in something different....)

Little Lord Fauntleroy (same as above, and we've already done Secret Garden and A Little Princess)

Prince and the Pauper (we missed out on reading this last year)

The Borrowers (we still haven't read this, and the movie will be coming out soon, or maybe is already out?)

Or....???? I'm open to any other suggestions.

My dds are 8.5 and 10. Would appreciate suggestions/votes.:tongue_smilie:

We enjoyed Island of the Blue Dolphins - I read it aloud last year, and this year he read it himself.

We just finished the Mysterious Benedict Society #1 and we LOVED it. I read aloud and he followed along in his own book (he is working on fluency). It's very clever. DS is begging to read #2 but I am making him read a historical fiction book first. MBS is my carrot :).

Thanks for all the replies! It sounds like we are going with The Borrowers.:)

We've done From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and dds have read most of the Marguerite Henry books. We are just starting to read Paddle to the Sea together for our "school reading".

I'm putting all of of the other suggestions on our list for late school year/summer reading -- Follow My Leader is one I'd completely forgotten about. Give Me Liberty is a new one I will be checking into.

Thanks again, all, for all the wonderful suggestions!

One advantage of Heidi is that there is a sequel Heidi Grows Up that may be used as independent summer reading.

Please consider adding the following to your list for eventual reading:

An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. I think this serves as a wonderful introduction to the world of LMA. I would say it is lighter than Little Women. .