Menu

3yo glasses help!

I just picked up glasses for my 3yo boy, and I need you guys to tell me how the heck to get a preschooler to keep them on (preferably with as little drama as possible!).

He's very, very active, and very very intense. The adjustment is not likely to be easy. ;)

It seems like they're sliding down his nose a bit and it's driving him crazy. Is this a fit issue? Should I go back and get them adjusted? I have no idea what I'm doing here (and don't even wear glasses myself, so I have no fame of reference).

Any tips would be massively appreciated!

My dd needed glasses when she was 3. Her eyesight was so bad she would squawk if we took them off, so we never had a problem with keeping them on. But yes, the slipping is a fit issue and should be adjusted. Most people find little ones in glasses simply adorable and complete strangers will approach them to say how cute they are, so maybe he'll like wearing them for the attention.

BTDT.

If they're sliding down then yes, I would take him back for an adjustment.

I had a similar 3 yo adventurer in glasses and if you haven't already done so, I'd recommend getting a back-up pair right away and invest in the replacement package. They were like a toy at the beginning so I found his glasses in the garden, in the microwave, on the carpet, buried in th lawn, in the toybox,....well, just about anywhere until one day it clicked and they mostly stayed on his face.

We got to know the workers in the optical department really, really well. :001_huh: They sent me home with a supply of screws that fit his frames so I could handle minor stuff at home. Still, it seemed like the worst problems happened on the weekends so the spares were necessary.

I agree with the sliding being a fit issue.

My dd started wearing glasses a little before age 3. She has always been good with them. I did buy a strap to keep them on for some purposes, but that ended up being more trouble than it was worth. She made a few mistakes initially with how to handle them, but quickly learned better.

My optician told me to slip DDs glasses on just before she woke up in the morning so her eyes would begin adjusting immediately. It seemed to help.

We also made the rule 'face or case' and every time she moved them from one place to the other I rewarded her with a mini-M&M.

She wore them for meals and movies at first and then for longer stretches of time until she adjusted. That way when she took them off they were easier to find.

When they were lost, really, really lost. I invited two older kiddos over for a scavenger hunt. I made a list of fun things and told them there was a cash reward for finding the glasses. Best $5.00 I have ever spent:)

Thank you all! I'll take him back and see if they can adjust them better (I actually said while I was there that he hates things sliding and to make sure they were tight, but the lady wanted to err on the side of not too tight...).

Where does one buy a strap to hold them on? He's a tiny acrobat and half of his life is spent upside down or flipping around, so that sounds like a great idea...

For my son, we bought a sunglasses strap. It is soft and has a small plastic piece that slides to loosen or tighten the strap. We found it at a sunglasses kiosk at the mall. It has lasted us several years. I finally have to get a new one; I think the old one is almost 5 years old. It was the only way I found to keep his glasses on his face. He is very bouncy. Lol

You might also want to check what kind of nose pads are on the glasses (if his frames have separate nose pads). If they are the harder, slippery plastic kind, ask your optician if they can change them out for the silicon, which are more flexible and grip better. This isn't applicable if he has the solid frames where the nose piece is a continuous part of the frame.

Thanks again for the advice! We took them back in this morning, and afte having the nose and ear pieces adjusted he's doing MUCH better!

I could not find one of those straps ANYWHERE at the mall, though. I think he's going to need it for gymnastics and such. Any ideas where to look?