Menu

Saxon/Hake Grammar a Hit! (x-post)

For those struggling with what to do after FLL4, now that ALL will not be out, I just wanted to share that dd 4th is really loving Saxon/Hake 5. I wasn't planning to have her do the journal prompts, as I hated journaling when I was a kid, but she was very excited about it and has created her own "Grammar Journal" (which she neatly labeled as such). She likes the studied dictation better than the WTM-style of dictation, and the lessons and exercises hold her interest. I let her write directly in the book, because if she had to recopy everything it would take 2-3 times as long.

I'm planning to use WWS, at least for a while, for writing, but as the Saxon writing lessons are scheduled in with the grammar, I plan to use those, too, and I think that, for a strong writer, the Saxon writing lessons would be a sufficient base if you also use writing across the curriculum, WTM-style.

Tara

Thanks for the review, Tara! We are going with Hake next year, too.

I'm wondering if you think level 5 is a little too easy after FLL4? Or is it just right? I was looking at level 6 because it seemed to me that level 5 assumed little to no grammar background. It's hard to tell from the limited samples.

I'm also intrigued by the writing portion as the samples looked pretty decent to me, so your review is encouraging.

I'm wondering if you think level 5 is a little too easy after FLL4? Or is it just right? I was looking at level 6 because it seemed to me that level 5 assumed little to no grammar background. It's hard to tell from the limited samples.

Yes, it is a little too easy in the beginning. By midway through, though, I think the challenge level is right. Since we were transitioning not just to a new program but also to one where dd would be doing it mostly independently, I wasn't worried if it was a little too easy in the beginning.

Tara

Yes, it is a little too easy in the beginning. By midway through, though, I think the challenge level is right. Since we were transitioning not just to a new program but also to one where dd would be doing it mostly independently, I wasn't worried if it was a little too easy in the beginning.

Tara

Got it. Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...
I know this thread is a little old but I have a question. How many lessons per week do you end up doing?

TIA!

I think there are 112 lessons (at least in levels 5 and 6). We do one a day until December and then drop down to 2 or 3 lessons a week for the rest of the year.

Lisa

I know this thread is a little old but I have a question. How many lessons per week do you end up doing?

TIA!

We school four days a week, so we do four. We also school year-round, so when dd finishes up Hake5, which she will before 5th grade is over, we'll just move right into Hake6.

Tara

I'm a huge fan of Hake also! My dd has learned sooo much this year. I like that it includes some spelling rules as well. It does include diagramming, but it's only a couple of sentences each lesson - just enough to get the job done but not be overkill!

I'm a huge fan of Hake also! My dd has learned sooo much this year. I like that it includes some spelling rules as well. It does include diagramming, but it's only a couple of sentences each lesson - just enough to get the job done but not be overkill!

Thanks! I'm excited to try this.

I just got my bundle for 6 last night and my odd and I are soooo excited!!! I had originally planned on cutting off the spine and 3-hole punching the textbook, but I don't think the paper is going to withstand that kind of punishment (from my dd, not the action of cutting/punching haha.) IDK how much we'll use the Student Workbook (that's the writing portion, right?), but I'm glad I got it.

We're big Saxon Math fans here and it's a great fit for my odd. I'm sure this will be too :) Thanks for all the info you all gave!