Menu

So I see the neighbor kid riding his bike carrying a gun.....

:ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Clearly, this type of country living is not for me.

I think squirrels are cute, not food. :D

We eat a lot of wild game in my area. Even the churches have big wild game dinners - one this Saturday night, as a matter of fact. Their flyer advertises, "Venison, elk, moose, bear, rabbit, squirrel, caribou, bison, and turtle pizza!"

When my dd was little, we were walking out in the pasture one day and a squirrel ran by. Having read many of the "happy Mrs. Squirrel and her little squirrel family" type stories, I wondered what she would have to say. She looked at me with those big blue eyes and said, "Mom, you know what seeing that squirrel makes me think of...?"

"Alfredo sauce!":lol: She went on to extoll the virtues of fried squirrel nuggets with alfredo sauce over fetuccini. We see squirrels as a food source or as rather destructive rodents with fuzzy tails instead of as cute, anthropomorphic creatures who set up English country style housekeeping in the nearest hollow tree.

We see squirrels as a food source or as rather destructive rodents with fuzzy tails instead of as cute, anthropomorphic creatures who set up English country style housekeeping in the nearest hollow tree.

Obviously our squirrels are more cultured and better-dressed than your squirrels. Your squirrels sound patently unappealing and it's no wonder you'd rather eat them than have them over for cake and coffee. Not that I'm bragging or anything, but we have only the finest squirrels in our neighborhood... :tongue_smilie:

I loved the story about your dd -- too cute!!! :D

So if I moved to a very rural area, it honestly would never dawn on me not to call the police about a kid with a gun.

:confused: The OP said that the boy is under driving age, and was riding a bicycle with a gun and dead squirrels attached the handbars. He also commonly hunts in the neighborhood and uses a garden tractor as transportation. I'm wondering why she wouldn't think, "Hey, that boy is out hunting again and looks like he got something today."

And...why is everyone so upset over a gun? I assume it's not a handgun or a powerful rifle. It sounds like a hunting gun or a BB gun - since he's shooting squirrels. Boys commonly have hunting guns and BB guns. Underage boys commonly use their bikes for transportation.

When my boys are older I expect that they will need to use their bikes to transport them to hunting areas.

But it really is the "you ain't from around here."

We live in an area like yours. I would not call the cops on a neighbor kid. I might say hi to the sheriff as I went running by him in the morning, and maybe even stop to ask, in a nice way, if it was normal for kids to be walking around with guns. I would probably phrase it, "Wow, things are so different here than where I'm from. We couldn't walk around with guns in my hometown!" :001_smile: Basically you acknowledge that you are the outsider, that you don't understand the locals, and you need to be enlightened.

I know it sounds weird, but you have to approach it carefully.

:iagree: I grew up in S FL and you could always spot the rednecks from Central and West FL because of the gun racks in the pick-up. Then I moved to OK and people could get hand-gun carry permits, too. There are many parts of the US that are totally into the whole gun culture thing. Thankfully, there are still places that consider guns rather gauche.

But... no matter where you live, you kind of have to approach it on the friendly interest level. While it usually bothers me to have to play dumb, when it comes to local etiquette and lifestyle issues, you are better off doing that. You get more flies with honey ... and yada yada. That said, no one with a gun has a right anywhere to go around threatening people with that gun. If your sherriff doesn't do anything about that, then you have a bigger problem that can't be solved with niceties.

Edited by Audrey

:confused: The OP said that the boy is under driving age, and was riding a bicycle with a gun and dead squirrels attached the handbars. He also commonly hunts in the neighborhood and uses a garden tractor as transportation. I'm wondering why she wouldn't think, "Hey, that boy is out hunting again and looks like he got something today."

And...why is everyone so upset over a gun? I assume it's not a handgun or a powerful rifle. It sounds like a hunting gun or a BB gun - since he's shooting squirrels. Boys commonly have hunting guns and BB guns. Underage boys commonly use their bikes for transportation.

When my boys are older I expect that they will need to use their bikes to transport them to hunting areas.

In her original post, there was no mention of the dead squirrels attached to the handlebars, nor did she mention that he commonly hunts in the neighborhood. She said she saw a neighbor kid on his bike carrying a gun. That's what I initially responded to.

In my later posts, I said that where I live, it would be completely and totally illegal for anyone to be walking around or riding a bike carrying a gun, so if I moved to a different area of the country, it simply wouldn't dawn on me that it might be an acceptable practice, so I would have made the same call to the police about it.

Where we live, boys do not commonly have guns. Even adult hunters are not permitted to walk around on the street with guns. Ever. And if hunters have a gun in their car or truck, it can't be accessible to them, can't be loaded, and must be in a case. (There's more than that, but you get the idea.) There are laws against carrying guns without a hard-to-obtain special permit. If people saw someone on the street with a gun in our area, they would call the police. And it would be the 911 emergency number, not the general number, and the police would take that call very seriously.

I realize that things are different where you live, but please don't assume that the attitude about kids carrying guns is the same everywhere. (Obviously, I assumed incorrectly myself, so I'm not criticizing you! :001_smile:)

Edited by Catwoman

We used to live above 7000 feet, and we'd occasionally get phone calls warning us about mountain lions in the area. DH required me to learn to use a gun. I hate guns (for my own use). I'm also pretty small, and the kick from a rifle is enough to deter me from practicing with one. DH bought a hand gun for me instead. I got to be a decent shot with that - it was much more comfortable to use.

You might start by looking for gun safety courses in the area. You'll have to take one anyway, and the people who teach them might be willing to give you some tips.

I think I'll just stick to my pitch fork.

I think I'll just stick to my pitch fork.

Or Bear Pepper Spray. I carry it when running.:D

ETA- Not because of bears! Heavens no, I think I would run elsewhere, then again maybe I could increase my speed.:tongue_smilie: I bought it one winter when there was wolves in the area and dh was thinking about getting me a gun. It is not uncommon to see cougars in these parts either.

Edited by Happyhomemama

Just the threat he made on the bus to all the kids in the valley that he was going to scare my kids with his gun, us being city people and all. According to the kid who reported it he was pretty excited about seeing them really scared.

and the police didn't care about this bit of information either? That is disturbing.

Or Bear Pepper Spray. I carry it when running.:D

ETA- Not because of bears! Heavens no, I think I would run elsewhere, then again maybe I could increase my speed.:tongue_smilie: I bought it one winter when there was wolves in the area and dh was thinking about getting me a gun. It is not uncommon to see cougars in these parts either.

Thank you for this.

My parents have a bear in there woods, and my Mom's birthday is coming up.

I thought it would be cute to wrap it up with a note, "Here is a present you can't bear to be without".

-- The only gun my parents keep is a paint ball gun they use to shot and the raccoon that tires to dig into the garbage bin. One well placed shot and the animal gets scared away.

Thank you for this.

My parents have a bear in there woods, and my Mom's birthday is coming up.

I thought it would be cute to wrap it up with a note, "Here is a present you can't bear to be without".

:D:D:D:D

That's a cute idea!

The only gun my parents keep is a paint ball gun they use to shot and the raccoon that tires to dig into the garbage bin. One well placed shot and the animal gets scared away.

Not to mention the ridicule he suffers afterwards at the hands of the other raccoons in the neighborhood. ;)

My sons and daughters are all gun carriers. They ride their bike with guns in a guitar soft case strapped to back. They go up to the mountain trail, lock up their bikes and shoot dove and rabbit. They eat what they shoot.

They also try(as in haven't been successful yet) to call in coyote, for the pelts to sell. They went thru an intensive Hunter's safety class and more intense one thru my husband! lol

I am registered for the concealed carry class, and will wear a gun on me. My hubby has numerous hunting guns and ones for protection.

We aren't in fear, we are American citizens that live in New Mexico(yep it's a state), and allowed to have them, so we do. :D It is not unusual to see men in line at McDonald's here with a gun strapped to their hip. The Old West is still alive and well.

We went to a training for sensory and adhd, and the lady was explaining about fear, and she asked, what is the first thing you do when you hear a loud knock at your door at 3am. Our response, turn the safety off. :D Epic fail in her eyes, proud moment in mine.

I know there are many here who will cite statistics, tell of horrible accidents, and more, but it is a American right to bear arms, put there by our founded fathers for reasons that would take more than Story of the World talks about in its book!

**jumping off my soapbox**please turn the Patriotic music off....lol

The sherriff on the other hand needs some people skills training, and maybe you could go over and laugh and tell the parents, yep we are city slickers, do you think you could help us? Perhaps go to the range with them? (now the range here is a empty field with bottles set up! lol

good luck!

I live in the South and have also lived in Florida. In neither place where I have or am now living has anyone been carrying guns around in open. Yes, both places have concealed carry laws but that is way different from a youngster riding around with a gun. It just wouldn't fly either in this city or in the city I lived in Florida. You can't do hunting in most cities therefore there is no reason for anyone to be carrying a rifle around. Oh, and we are not an anti-gun household, but I prefer not to have children riding around on bikes with guns.

Thankfully, there are still places that consider guns rather gauche.

And I'm thankful that is not the case where I live. If so, we would be overrun by coyotes, possums, raccoons (who are not nice fuzzy things - ask any chicken or dog), snakes, bobcats, and deer (gardening is impossible sometimes). I'm proud of my sons' ability to hunt for food and/or to rid our area of dangerous critters and I'm proud that they are expert marksmen on the shooting range with their 4H club and Boy Scouts - it is a skill that takes time and effort to master.

I also puff with pride when they bring in an arrow that they have "Robin Hooded". Call us Redneck or Gauche or whatever - I'm glad my boys can shoot (and I can shoot) and do carry guns or their bows/arrows around the property. And, yes, I'm proud of our "Stand Your Ground" law as well :) Hope we never have to use it, but we're equipped and ready if necessary.

And, they've got brains to boot! No "girly mens" here (said in my best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice).

We eat a lot of wild game in my area. Even the churches have big wild game dinners - one this Saturday night, as a matter of fact. Their flyer advertises, "Venison, elk, moose, bear, rabbit, squirrel, caribou, bison, and turtle pizza!"

When my dd was little, we were walking out in the pasture one day and a squirrel ran by. Having read many of the "happy Mrs. Squirrel and her little squirrel family" type stories, I wondered what she would have to say. She looked at me with those big blue eyes and said, "Mom, you know what seeing that squirrel makes me think of...?"

"Alfredo sauce!":lol: She went on to extoll the virtues of fried squirrel nuggets with alfredo sauce over fetuccini. We see squirrels as a food source or as rather destructive rodents with fuzzy tails instead of as cute, anthropomorphic creatures who set up English country style housekeeping in the nearest hollow tree.

When my youngest dd was barely 5 yo, we were in NH and drove by a park. She exclaimed, "There's a squirrel! Quick, Dad, get the gun." :lol:

I don't know what the laws are in my area, but hunting is big here. Our private development prohibits anyone without a license to conceal to carry a *loaded* weapon, but many residents walk through the development to the game lands with (supposedly) unloaded rifles.

The sight of a kid with a rifle wouldn't surprise me. A *handgun*, yes! (Which I did see kids with the day I moved out of Trenton!)