Menu

What Latin program for a kid and parent with no Latin experience?

We've only done a roots based vocabulary program and it's very simplistic.

We are slogging through Spanish right now using Open Door to Spanish, a workbook from the teacher store, and StudySpanish.com (online and free) along with practicing basic speaking. We were using AOP LifePacs but it was moving too quick and there's not any interaction.

I am saving up for AOP SOS Spanish...unless we can find another language with good materials.

I'd like to hear what others are using for Latin for an absolute beginner in high school.

Thanks,

Robin

We've only done a roots based vocabulary program and it's very simplistic.

We are slogging through Spanish right now using Open Door to Spanish, a workbook from the teacher store, and StudySpanish.com (online and free) along with practicing basic speaking. We were using AOP LifePacs but it was moving too quick and there's not any interaction.

I am saving up for AOP SOS Spanish...unless we can find another language with good materials.

I'd like to hear what others are using for Latin for an absolute beginner in high school.

Thanks,

Robin

Are you looking for secular or religious? Classical or Ecclesiastical? Teacher-led or self-directed? What type of format?

Here is a good comparison of programs; scroll down to "Comparision of Intensive Latin Programs" at the very bottom to see high-school level programs.

Are you looking for secular or religious? Classical or Ecclesiastical? Teacher-led or self-directed? What type of format?

Here is a good comparison of programs; scroll down to "Comparision of Intensive Latin Programs" at the very bottom to see high-school level programs.

This table does have some notable omissions, as it doesn't mention Cambridge, Oxford, Wheelock, or Latin for a New Millennium (not to mention sentimental favorites like Jenney or Horn & Grummere). Also, the table labeled "intensive" are typical middle and high school texts, I wouldn't classify them as "intensive", as they aren't nearly as dense as college texts.

Odd. It lists Lingua Latina as a lot more expensive than what I paid for it. I mean, if you buy all the supplemental texts, the vocabulary guides and the interactive CD-Rom I suppose it could get up to $138, but the core of the program, the basic text and the advanced text, I picked up pretty cheaply. It helps to monitor Amazon.

In addition to the programs in the above link, Getting Started with a Latin - GSWL- is a great gentle and affordable introduction especially if you have no previous latin experience. There is also a follow up course Linney's Latin which is still in development.

Another option we've liked is Visual Latin. It is video based instruction and goes much further than GSWL. Visual Latin also has a schedule coordinating with Lingua Latina. Visual Latin 1 would be equivalent to 1 year of high school latin. Part of Visual Latin 2 is available now and the rest will supposedly be available this summer.

We started Visual Latin about half way through GSWL and it was an easy transition and this was with elementary aged children.

We would be brand spanking new to Latin...

I definitely would prefer secular...

As far as the other criteria---no idea!

It needs to be easy to teach and learn from, organized with a syllabus or schedule of some sort and not cost both arms and legs!

I have briefly looked at Jenney's First Year Latin at a used bookstore, but really have no idea what a Latin text should contain.

I can probably handle a little religious reference as long as it doesn't overshadow learning the language.

Thanks,

Robin

Ecce Romani! We started with Henle, made it through the first half (considered the first year) and then switched to Ecce Romani 2. I liked it so much I started using Ecce Romani 1 to supplement Latin for Children B in a co-op class. The kids really enjoy the translations and all lessons are clearly presented. The text includes Latin Grammar, Vocabulary, Word Roots and Roman Culture & History. The material seems to be well aligned with College Board's standardized tests for Latin (ie: SAT II).

The TE for ER1 can be hard to find, but it's worth it. Used copies of ER2 TE are readily available. There are tons of support materials on the internet, like flash cards and games. Just google Ecce Romani.

The publisher also provides extra practice on their website which I use as weekly quizzes.

http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gotoWebCode&wcprefix=jfk&wcsuffix=1000

Edited by amtmcm

In addition to the programs in the above link, Getting Started with a Latin - GSWL- is a great gentle and affordable introduction especially if you have no previous latin experience. There is also a follow up course Linney's Latin which is still in development.

Another option we've liked is Visual Latin. It is video based instruction and goes much further than GSWL. Visual Latin also has a schedule coordinating with Lingua Latina. Visual Latin 1 would be equivalent to 1 year of high school latin. Part of Visual Latin 2 is available now and the rest will supposedly be available this summer.

We started Visual Latin about half way through GSWL and it was an easy transition and this was with elementary aged children.

I like Getting Started With Latin as well.

Thank you for the links!

This table does have some notable omissions, as it doesn't mention Cambridge, Oxford, Wheelock, or Latin for a New Millennium (not to mention sentimental favorites like Jenney or Horn & Grummere). Also, the table labeled "intensive" are typical middle and high school texts, I wouldn't classify them as "intensive", as they aren't nearly as dense as college texts.

I was merely offering a starting place from which further research could be conducted.

We would be brand spanking new to Latin...

I definitely would prefer secular...

As far as the other criteria---no idea!

It needs to be easy to teach and learn from, organized with a syllabus or schedule of some sort and not cost both arms and legs!

I have briefly looked at Jenney's First Year Latin at a used bookstore, but really have no idea what a Latin text should contain.

I can probably handle a little religious reference as long as it doesn't overshadow learning the language.

Thanks,

Robin

What are your language goals? Is your ultimate goal just familiarity with the language, or are you working toward the AP Latin exam?