Menu

Tactful way to handle neighbor kid?

First, we live in a rural area and there are not many kids around for mine to play with.

There is a little girl who lives with her grandma across the street. She is 7yo and she has started to come over everyday after school. I cannot handle her everyday! Two or three times a week is my max! Not to mention I'm about to drop this baby any day and quite frankly I don't feel like entertaining my own kids much less someone else's!

What do I say? What about after the babaly gets here and I don't want ANY company? Her grandma knows I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks.

Not to mention I don't think she has much in common with my 5yo ds, I think she just comes over for snacks and to play with his toys!

Greet her at the door on the days you don't want her to play, and say with a smile, "I'm sorry, sweetie, today isn't a good day to play. Why don't you come back on Wednesday?" or, if you trust the Grandma and think it's a safe place for your child, "How about if ds plays at your house today?"

When the baby comes, or now if you'd rather: "I'm sorry, sweetie, we're just so busy with the new baby right now. We're taking a few weeks off from having guests. We'll call you when we're ready to have you over again."

If she still persists, I'd nicely say the same things to the grandma.

Often kids don't know if you don't teach them. Grandma may be hearing how delighted you all are to see her every day, or may assume (being of a different generation) that neighbor kids go out to play every day and you'll just send Little Girl home if you don't want her there. Being kind and direct is your best bet.

Cat

Can't you just make the kids play outside? I don't know your situation, so I don't know if it's possible. I do know that, for us, the good of having friends to play with right next door outweighs the bad. However, the noise and the mess need to stay outside for the most part. At least where I live :)

That said, if you really don't want your kid playing with the neighbor that day, just say "Not today. We're busy."

Honestly, if you're not up for it... just tell the Grandma. Maybe she's drawn to you and your house is lively. There are children for her to interact with. And you're having a baby!! That's exciting.

But if she's like my sweetie was at 7 she could be a HUGE help to you (think Mommie's helper)

One or two days a week to help fold laundry/ read picture books to your little ones/ color/ put in a book on tape with you in the room ... think quiet activities.

Just schedule a convenient time for you.

It could be a win/ win.

My neighbor and I worked out a plan - my super helpful dd would read to her ds (pre-schooler) 2 afternoons a week. He got storytime and snack with a friend, she got to "play Teacher," practice her reading, and help a younger child with letter recognition and phonics. That's a "b" B says buh... "Find the blue ball - is it under or above the table?

They both looked forward to it.

We, the Moms, got 1 hour one day a week of quiet time. Tuesdays - my house, Thursdays - her house.

Guest submarines
Honestly, if you're not up for it... just tell the Grandma. Maybe she's drawn to you and your house is lively. There are children for her to interact with. And you're having a baby!! That's exciting.

But if she's like my sweetie was at 7 she could be a HUGE help to you (think Mommie's helper)

One or two days a week to help fold laundry/ read picture books to your little ones/ color/ put in a book on tape with you in the room ... think quiet activities.

It could be a win/ win.

My neighbor and I worked out a plan - my super helpful dd would read to her ds (pre-schooler) 2 afternoons a week. He got storytime and snack with a friend, she got to "play Teacher," practice her reading, and help a younger child with letter recognition and phonics. That's a "b" B says buh... "Find the blue ball - is it under or above the table?

We, the Moms, got 1 hour one day a week of quiet time. Tuesdays - my house, Thursdays - her house.

:iagree: My DD at 7 would've loved to be a mom's helper, and she'd do a good job too. If you can't stand her, that's another issue, but if you like her, things can work out really well.

It could be a win/ win.

Interesting! It could work...with some direction. She does love to read to them. Although she can be bossy and flits from one thing to another quickly. I probably wouldn't send my kids over there because they have a boat canvas shop that I can see with lots of trucks with boats in and out. I actually cannot see their house from the road.

Greet her at the door on the days you don't want her to play, and say with a smile, "I'm sorry, sweetie, today isn't a good day to play. Why don't you come back on Wednesday?" or, if you trust the Grandma and think it's a safe place for your child, "How about if ds plays at your house today?"

When the baby comes, or now if you'd rather: "I'm sorry, sweetie, we're just so busy with the new baby right now. We're taking a few weeks off from having guests. We'll call you when we're ready to have you over again."

If she still persists, I'd nicely say the same things to the grandma.

Often kids don't know if you don't teach them. Grandma may be hearing how delighted you all are to see her every day, or may assume (being of a different generation) that neighbor kids go out to play every day and you'll just send Little Girl home if you don't want her there. Being kind and direct is your best bet.

:iagree:

This is what I have done in the past. Just because a neighbor kid knocks on the door, they do not get an automatic entry into the house. Playing outside is a great idea or just saying come back at such and such a time or date.