Menu

Post your wait list success stories here.

Catherine

My son is WL at his favorite school, and it turns out, he's not so thrilled with his other choices. I'm sure he'll accommodate, but meanwhile, tell a story about a wait list success, if you know one. Here's mine:

My dh only decided to go to medical school as a college senior. He took some of his required courses in college, some the next year at another place. Then the next year he applied, and was rejected, without interviews, everywhere. He decided to try one more year and applied again all over the USA, and was granted one interview, at UC San Diego (in state for him). He was wait listed there. The entire summer, he called them each week just to say he was still very interested in their school. When classes started, he started to grieve the end of his dream. Then they called at the end of the first week of classes-someone dropped out that first week, did he want their spot in the class? He threw his things in the car, drove ten hours, and the rest is history. He graduated at the top of his class, was voted to give the commencement address, and was accepted to a top residency program. It goes to show how flawed the screening\acceptance process is, IMO.

My dh only decided to go to medical school as a college senior. He took some of his required courses in college, some the next year at another place. Then the next year he applied, and was rejected, without interviews, everywhere. He decided to try one more year and applied again all over the USA, and was granted one interview, at UC San Diego (in state for him). He was wait listed there. The entire summer, he called them each week just to say he was still very interested in their school. When classes started, he started to grieve the end of his dream. Then they called at the end of the first week of classes-someone dropped out that first week, did he want their spot in the class? He threw his things in the car, drove ten hours, and the rest is history. He graduated at the top of his class, was voted to give the commencement address, and was accepted to a top residency program. It goes to show how flawed the screening\acceptance process is, IMO.

No waitlist story here as my guy never signed up to be on WUSTL's since he likes U of Rochester so much.

BUT, I just want to say I LOVE reading your hubby's experience. I hope your guy gets in where he wants to go. I assume he's been on the phone to admissions... ;)

I hope things work out well for her too. Might I suggest she call (if she hasn't already)... ;)

She's going to call on Monday. They are quite organized about this with a form to fill out and another essay to write. :tongue_smilie:

My son is WL at his favorite school, and it turns out, he's not so thrilled with his other choices. I'm sure he'll accommodate, but meanwhile, tell a story about a wait list success, if you know one. Here's mine:

One of the many surprising unintended consequences of the Internet and the common app, is that it is now much easier to apply to college than it was when we went to school. As a result, kids are applying to a lot more colleges. I've heard of students applying to 18-20 colleges. If a strong student applies to so many colleges, and is accepted to most, clearly, the use of wait lists has to go up. I've heard of several kids around here who made it into the college of their choice after being wait-listed, it is kind of harrowing. So, I don't think being put on a wait list means the same thing that it did 20 years ago. Depending on the school, you may be able to ask where exactly on the wait list the student is at any particular time, to get a better feel for the odds. Good luck!

Both of the schools he was waitlisted at state clearly that they do not rank students on their wait list. I wonder how they choose students then-by lottery?? I mean, they must rank them somehow.

I think they consider the students who have decided to attend. If they still need an oboe player, someone leaning towards the Classics, a larger number of male students, or someone from North Dakota, they'll look to see who might fit the bill amongst those still on the waiting list. I imagine that the ability to pay tuition, room, and board without requiring financial aid may also factor into their decision as to who to contact from the waiting list.

Regards,

Kareni

Catherine, does the swim coach know that he's on the watilist? Was your son sure that he would swim if he went there? Was the coach keen on having him swim for the team? If yes to both, I'd definitely make sure that the coach knows that he's on the waitlist but would come -- and swim -- if he got in. Obviously it's a long shot, but it couldn't hurt, IMHO.

Edited by JennyD