Menu

IXL or Dreambox . . . . supplement to Singapore Maths.

farming_mum

I'm looking for a supplement that is online, interactive and fun for kids.

We use SM, so I really want an online program that would enforce some if not all of the methods.

With my 4 children I need a couple of hours a week to complete some chores and I've been using Reading Eggs to supplement AAS and AAR. Reading Eggs has been great, but I also want a math program that the kids can use during this time so I can alternate between the two.

DS is nearly 7 and DD is 5.5yrs, I've used Time4Learning before and that was good but I wanted a math only online curriculum. Both IXL and Dreambox are both available for a discounted price on the Homeschooling Coop so I would prefer to buy now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :001_smile:

Dream box has a lot more bells and whistles. There are a bunch of stories that kids follow, and they collect various rewards as they go. Some rewards are part of collections, and some are coins that can be used on games at a fairground section.

I've only used the free version of IXL, but it's much simpler: basically just drill. I'm not sure it would grab my DD's attention for more than a session or two, and at this point I want her computer time self directed (within VERY strict parameters obviously).

Try the free samples of both and see which you like. I love Dreambox, but it is SO expensive. Especially for multiple kids. I think it is worth the money, but you have to have that sort of money to begin with!

I am not sure exactly what grade you are talking about.

You are aware for Grade 1 & Above their is Singapore Math CD-Rom games?

If those aren't for you what about Mathletics?

If grade 3 or above you could look at using Teaching Textbooks, Chalkdust Math or Math U See as more interactive type supplements.

Mathtacular is another option for video based, there is also the Mathtacular Kit which comes with a special DVD and manipulatives, that would work as a good supplement.

As for the two you have mentioned, sorry, haven't heard of them :001_huh:

xxx