Menu

Customer Service

How far does customer service go in playing a role to what you purchase?

I have had numerous bad experiences with companies, as such I actually dislike purchasing from the homeschooling companies directly, preferring to purchase from a retailer (Christian Books, Amazon etc) I have found "department" type stores to actually have better customer service than the "homeschooling mum" or "homeschool company" trying to sell the products themselves.

Against my better judgement, I purchased off a well known lady for a product (it was cheaper directly off her than getting elsewhere), there was no tracking sent with it, and when said I did not receive $100 item, she basically said, well she sent it, I would have to find it my end. Considering I am in Aus, and its US mail, unless its in my box, there is no way to follow it up my end. I was not offered a refund/replacement item, partial credit or any sort of sorries, and I was under the initial impression it was to be sent tracked, as I refuse to purchase stuff without knowing that. Now, no matter how much people rave about this "curriculum" I am completely turned off it, when it was my initial impression to use her curriculum throughout the 3 kids schoolyears. I instead found a lovely mum with a more homemade type curriculum whom has been nothing but lovely, and plan to loyally stick with her.

Now another company/curriclum with well known controversy surrounding it, I looked into it and gave them the benefit of the doubt. I tried to purchase from them ages ago, wanted to ask a few q's and never got a response. Tried again, and again, no response. But they seem to have time to flitter all over the web blogging, but no time to actually provide customer service or sell their products :001_huh: which is a pity, as I really truely liked the curriculum.

Yet I have found with places like Sonlight, Book Depository, Christian Books, that they have the most excellent customer service, seem to remember all sorts of details about me, try to help me wherever possible, never act like I am annoying, and they make it so I WANT to purchase from them. We moved away from sonlight cores, but I still loved the customer service and "feel" I got from them, so went ahead and purchased $300 of maths books & manipulatives from them.

Do you think people (even homeschooling mums) have forgotten how important customer service is? Its really hard when its a curriculum that you adore, but you just keep getting turned off by their customer service, what would you do if it was your favourite curriculum?

Customer service used to be a given. If you worked in an industry that required customer relations, you gave service. You helped. Now it seems to be very rare to find a place that actually gives the customer service.

:001_huh:

I am really surprised that you did not get a refund or something for the $100 purchase! That is horrible.

I think some people don't know that it is their responsibility to get the product safely to the customer. It really is a big deal. I tend to buy from http://www.Christianbook.com and Amazon and sometimes from http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com or Rainbow Resource. Very rarely will I buy from an individual company, but that is because I consolidate things when I need to buy that much.

I will say that recently I had to purchase something from a smaller vendor online and she shipped it to the wrong place even though in the notes to the merchant I gave the correct place. When she realized the mistake, she offered, twice, to reship--even knowing she would eat that $55. There is some very good and real honest-to-goodness customer service out there among smaller vendors.

I am sorry you didn't find it though.

I pretty much never buy from within Australia due to the price. I do stick to the "big names", though. Over the years I have had a few lost parcels, or other problems, and have always had great customer service. I have purchased repeatedly from Book Depository, Amazon, Rainbow Resource Center, Royal Fireworks Press and SG Box (in Singapore). I've also bought from EBay and from small book sellers through Abe Books.

Both Amazon and Rainbow Resource Center have replaced lost parcels, no questions asked. I have also had a smaller book seller refund me for a parcel that didn't arrive - and when it did eventually pitch up and I offered to pay for it, she refused to accept the payment. Actually, every single lost parcel did eventually turn up (two of these were to the Middle East, one was posted within America, and still disappeared for months).

On the other hand, dh has spent three months fighting with Australia Post for a refund on a parcel that arrived open with parts missing. They finally agreed that he might be due compensation and asked him for proof that the parcel had been sent. He contacted the seller for this information and they immediately offered to send him a replacement. It never occurred to him to even ask them, as it clearly wasn't their fault.

In short, I think there are still many people that value providing great service, and more to the point, value their individual customers. Customer queries to both Rainbow Resource and individual Ebay suppliers have led to some downright funny email exchanges. I've always had great service, even from "once off" EBay purchases from overseas, but if a vendor didn't refund me (or didn't answer my questions), they certainly would never see any more business from me.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but don't give up - great customer service still exists!

If you paid with either a credit card or paypal you should file a claim against the seller. Your money will be refunded from the seller's account which is exactly what should happen in such a situation.

Customer service is often the deciding factor in where I make purchases.

Customer service is a huge factor to me, BUT I don't think you can expect great customer service from someone selling their old used stuff. However, if you pay by credit card or paypal, you do have recourse.

The reason they can offer service is that they have other income and hope you'll return. Obviously someone selling their old Singapore math is not in that category and it really would be awful for them to send the thing AND lose the money. That's kind of the problem. However, in the US (don't know about when you send stuff internationally), you can't use the "lost in the mail" excuse -- even though the post office has no responsibility to deliver what a person mails, the sender is responsible in a purchase for the item getting to you. Kind of stinks for the seller. This is why some people have tired of selling used stuff. However, that's the way it is.

This does NOT apply to someone selling curriculum as a business! They are sabotaging themselves!

I've had great customer service from Amazon and Book Depository and other places as well. It makes a difference. Also Dover Publications!

Customer service is a huge factor to me, BUT I don't think you can expect great customer service from someone selling their old used stuff. However, if you pay by credit card or paypal, you do have recourse.

The reason they can offer service is that they have other income and hope you'll return. Obviously someone selling their old Singapore math is not in that category and it really would be awful for them to send the thing AND lose the money. That's kind of the problem. However, in the US (don't know about when you send stuff internationally), you can't use the "lost in the mail" excuse -- even though the post office has no responsibility to deliver what a person mails, the sender is responsible in a purchase for the item getting to you. Kind of stinks for the seller. This is why some people have tired of selling used stuff. However, that's the way it is.

This does NOT apply to someone selling curriculum as a business! They are sabotaging themselves!

I've had great customer service from Amazon and Book Depository and other places as well. It makes a difference. Also Dover Publications!

I agree with this - and it's one reason why I don't usually purchase bigger ticket items used. I don't want the hassle if the items aren't what they were advertised or if they don't show up, etc. I do purchase used on some books that are inexpensive, but only from places I've had good customer service from or Amazon sellers with good feedback. I will even go out of my way to avoid companies I've had bad experiences with - I had a huge issue with Thrift Books several years ago, sending the wrong books, books in poor condition, etc., and no one could even seem to understand in my communications with them, what the issue was. I now avoid them and all their affiliate companies. On the other hand, Better World Books has been wonderful - on the couple occasions I have had books in a worse condition than advertised, they have been very quick to send a new copy.

And if the price difference isn't big, I prefer ordering new from Amazon, Book Depository, etc.

Customer service is a huge factor in where I shop, locally or on the internet.

:iagree:

I have a business blacklist :D Seriously, there's just no excuse for poor customer service. It shows a clear lack of value for the customer, their hard earned money, and their time.