Menu

Very bad day... and how long till CPS shows up? LONG

And really, you have been in Walmart enough to know that the only acceptable response next time is to let the child scream. CPS would have to put in a branch office at Walmart, right next to the nail salon, if people reported tantrumming kids in

Walmart.

Terri

True story. lol.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else you can consider . . .

Our little incident happened on a Saturday afternoon. The following Monday both my dh and I took our son to his doctor to be checked out. We explained what had happened and asked she check him and document her findings (of course there was no evidence of abuse; she gave him a complete exam). This way I could have DCFS talk to her if necessary. It was a way for us to cover ourselves. Hope today is better for you.

Something similar happened to a family member at a Walmart parking lot, only the busybody didn't talk to her. She doesn't know who reported her or why they felt it necessary to report her, but CPS did visit later that day. It was very stressful for her to be accused anonymously of abuse (the complaint was vague but the person took issue with how she put her youngest in a carseat--or more likely, assumed that a child screaming must have been hurt by mama) when there wasn't any, but they did their investigation, found nothing at all to support the abuse claim, and the case was closed.

Edited by WordGirl

:grouphug:

Hope today is a better day. FWIW I have pulled my screaming ds out of several stores and thought surely I would have a lovely cps visit. I mean full on tantrum with lying in the floor kicking and screaming! With many dirty looks I just scooped him up and took him to the car...I thought someone would surely think I was kidnapping/hurting him!

I wonder why people feel the need to stick their noses into so much of other peoples business? However, you hear stories of children truly being hurt or in danger and no one does anything?

Walmart is a hot bed of potential tantrums! Toys, candy, electronics, junk food! It's a miracle anyone gets out of there without some kind of kid drama :)

Yes, the pendulum has definitely swung. I can't tell you how many incidents I know of where good moms have been threatened with a call to the police by some person passing by because they feel the child has been "abused". Most of the time, it seems related to leaving the child in the car and walking two feet away.

I am only now getting comfortable with leaving my 12 1/2 yo in the car to quickly run into the post office and drop a letter in the box because of all the horror stories I've heard. Even if everything turns out all right, it is so upsetting to have someone threaten you.

I hope all turns out well and you never hear from CPS. I, too, think a report of roughly putting a child in a shopping cart will be laughed off.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

When my DD was a baby, I went to the grocery store and after putting the groceries and baby in the car, I returned the cart to the stall (like a good American and upstanding citizen;)) two parking spaces away (there was one empty space between my car and the corral). I was away from my baby for 20 seconds at most and she was never out of my sight. But a woman walking out of the store when I was pushing my cart into the corral saw a baby "unattended" and started to lecture me before I assured her I was there the whole time. After that, I have been more aware of how supposedly well-meaning busybodies might wrongly perceive a given situation. (And I didn't always worry about putting my cart away, but that's a topic for another day.)

My son has autism let's just say I have been on the end of well meaning people telling me how to parent. Ecleast I know others have had a bad day too kind of makes me feel not so alone!

My 14yo autistic son (who is 5'2" and 150lbs)

Background info: Ds18 has a diagnosis of Autism and MR. If he isn't exhibiting a bizarre behavior or something, he looks and appears very "normal."

I had to laugh reading this. We have an autistic teenager and her mother for housemates. This has been the source of our multiple CPS experiences.

Ds and I were in the mall once (it has a walmart!) and he had started with a tantrum. This was years ago when I still had to restrain him daily. He growled (yes, like a dog) at a little girl so I tried to redirect him but it was too late. I had no choice but to put him on a PADDED bench, face down, and hold him until he was passed it. Some guy (like 6+foot, over 200lbs) with his daughter walks by and starts threatening to call the police.

It went on for about 5 minutes and I finally yelled that he either "call the dam* cops or don't call, but get the hel* away from us because you're making it worse!"

My 3 yo (with autism) loves wooden train sets. I used to take her to Barnes and Noble to let her play with their train table as a treat. B&N is also right next to PetSmart, where she LOVES to look at the fish. When it is hot outside, we sometimes go to both for a field trip of sorts. Well, the last two times we were at B&N, when it was time to go, she had a total meltdown. To the point of screaming, kicking, etc. I had to carry her with my arm around her waist, with her completely horizontal and kicking, screaming, hitting, etc. all the way through the store. Of course the train set was in the back of the store. It looked just like I was kidnapping her or something. Needless to say, we don't go to B&N anymore. Luckily I got mostly pity looks or looks of curiosity and no one said anything to me.

Guest submarines

Don't we all have such days. :grouphug: The CPS threat was totally overboard. However, I'm glad that someone cared enough about a child to stay and see how the situation unfolded, even if she didn't handle it well.

I've observed a similar situation, when a father slammed a younger child into the shopping cart, with an expression of anger and disgust on his face. It was very difficult to see. I had a very physical reaction to it--my heart started to race, I had an immediate knot in my stomach, I felt shaky. I was so affected, that I didn't say anything. I do regret it. I don't know what I would've said. My best idea so far is to just say, "I saw that," but when people are emotional, they don't always say or do the most rational things.

It is developmentally normal for a 3 year old to whine. It is not normal for an adult to use excessive force with a child. I know the OP was at the end of the rope, and I don't blame or flame--things happen. I really do understand and empathise.

However, if everyone passes by, minding their own business, it is becomes acceptable to mistreat children.

I've observed a similar situation, when a father slammed a younger child into the shopping cart, with an expression of anger and disgust on his face. It was very difficult to see. I had a very physical reaction to it--my heart started to race, I had an immediate knot in my stomach, I felt shaky. I was so affected, that I didn't say anything. I do regret it. I don't know what I would've said. My best idea so far is to just say, "I saw that," but when people are emotional, they don't always say or do the most rational things.

Something like "Having a hard time? Is there anything I can do to help?" makes it clear that you see what is happening without adding stress to the situation. How would the OP's overall stress have been different if the woman had said that, and she'd been able to say "Yeah, can you run in and tell <description of DD14> in the book section to get out here?" It also establishes a sympathetic relationship where you can say something like "I know you're having a hard time, but it really scares me to see kids being treated like that" once the situation has diffused somewhat and the person is more open to having a conversation about it if you still think it's necessary at that point.

Being confrontational or shaming someone who is already (seemingly) demonstrating maladaptive coping strategies (not criticizing the OP - I have my share of them!) increases the likelyhood that the adult will take their stress out on the child in some way. Or on you.

Edited by ocelotmom

I could have written that post sunflowers. And ocelotmom that is a great suggestion I have used myself.

It is an eye opening experience. Thank you OP, for sharing your story. In your case it was a nosy body who doesn't know how to talk to people or handle herself. But it sure does bring up a great opportunity to all think to ourselves, what would I do in this situation. And the difference between a mom having a bad time and an actual dangerous situation. The system is over used and abused.

Something like "Having a hard time? Is there anything I can do to help?" makes it clear that you see what is happening without adding stress to the situation. How would the OP's overall stress have been different if the woman had said that, and she'd been able to say "Yeah, can you run in and tell <description of DD14> in the book section to get out here?" It also establishes a sympathetic relationship where you can say something like "I know you're having a hard time, but it really scares me to see kids being treated like that" once the situation has diffused somewhat and the person is more open to having a conversation about it if you still think it's necessary at that point.

Being confrontational or shaming someone who is already (seemingly) demonstrating maladaptive coping strategies (not criticizing the OP - I have my share of them!) increases the likelyhood that the adult will take their stress out on the child in some way. Or on you.

This.

I told the lady that the way she responded wasn't helping. She didn't budge.

Looking back on it she wasn't so much concerned about my son as berating and lecturing *ME* on how to handle things.

*IF* she has said something like "Honey, he looks like a handful, you need any help?" That is a *WHOLE* different ball game than (in a somewhat snotty voice) "Is that really necessary?"

See the difference? One diffuses, one incites. She darn well new the difference otherwise she wouldn't have responded with "Well I thought I was being nice about it". Again, confrontational, not helpful.

I will burn up every time I think about this for the rest of my life! :cursing::lol: At least I have material to talk about!

When my DD was a baby, I went to the grocery store and after putting the groceries and baby in the car, I returned the cart to the stall (like a good American and upstanding citizen;)) two parking spaces away (there was one empty space between my car and the corral). I was away from my baby for 20 seconds at most and she was never out of my sight. But a woman walking out of the store when I was pushing my cart into the corral saw a baby "unattended" and started to lecture me before I assured her I was there the whole time. After that, I have been more aware of how supposedly well-meaning busybodies might wrongly perceive a given situation. (And I didn't always worry about putting my cart away, but that's a topic for another day.)

I had a guy come up to me as I was leaving the library and ask if a certain van was mine. Yes, I said. He then launched into a whole thing about how "someone could call Catholic Services about an unattended child in a car" and honestly I had no idea what he was talking about, and why a religious group would be involved. Finally I informed him my husband was in the van. He scooted away. I was very upset. My husband had gone to the back to play with the baby and only the older child was visible. My husband went to tell him he shouldn't go around accusing people or something. It was beeezarre.

So I woke up this morning like normal. Got up, made coffee. Sat down to work. Worked 10 minutes and then no work available. Fine. Did a few things. Still no work. So decided to go grocery shopping. All the kids want to go so we pile in the car and head off.

First stop? Sam's Club. All is well, get that done and we pile in the car again, off to Wal*Mart.

Then the trouble begins.

Ds3 wanted a toy. I said no. We weren't even going to the toy section. He starts whining. I keep going, hoping he will stop and quiet down. He keeps it up. We get back to the dairy section (I always start in the back of the store and work my way forward) He asks for a toy again. Again I say no.

At this point my blood is starting to simmer. He has been whining for about 5 minutes. In the store.

So he flops down on the floor. I go over and ask him if he wants to get in the cart (with a little anger in the voice I might add). He ignores me. I get down to him and tell him he better answer me or we are going home and he will regret it. He continues to not answer, and now he is whaling.

SOOooo.... I take his hand and start out of the store with a detour to pick up dd14 at the book section. She peeks around the corner, hearing her brother complaining and I wave at her to come. I head out of the store. I get to the front and realize I don't see dd behind me. *Sigh* Thinking she is lagging I still head to the car and get ds3 in the seat and buckle it. Still no dd. Grrr. Ds3 is still crying. I can't send in ds10 after her as he would get lost trying to find her. I wait a couple more minutes. No dd.

*SIGH* I drag (still whimpering) ds3 out of the car and put him in the cart.

Now, when I put him in the cart it was none to gentle. I admit it. It wasn't exactly the way I should have but I "dropped" him in with a little more force than was warranted. I admit my mistake. Golly, don't lambaste me for it please.

The lady getting out of her car was apparently unaware of my disposition at that point. She prefaced with "Is that really necessary?" I ignore her and go in to get dd14.

We come out. Guess who is waiting? Oh yes. The lady who can't mind her own. I put ds in the car, buckled his seat (I was calming down by this point, but still just wanted to go home.) and shut the door.

What do I hear? .... Again? "Was that really necessary to put him in the cart that way? :001_huh: At this time she was on the passenger side of my car, I was on the drivers side.

Me: Mam, I appreciate what you are trying to do but it isn't helping.

Her: Well I thought I was being nice about it.

Me: I realize that but when a mama is angry that isn't the way to do it.

Her: Something I don't remember.

Me: blah, blah, blah (don't remember) Not your concern.

Her: It is everyone's concern when it is child abuse.:001_huh::mad:

Me: No, my business, not yours.

OK, Now I realize at this point I should have rolled my eyes and got in the car and carried on. However I just wasn't in that frame of mind.

Her: Yes it is my business.

Me: (In my outside voice) It is *NOT* your business, just go into the store and stay out of *MY* business.

I then get in my car, as I am getting in my car I her her say to the lady with her "Yea let's get it, what is it?" They are looking at the back of my car.

So I think they took my plates down. So this is where I ask... how long until CPS shows? I just know that woman is going to exaggerate what happened.

I get home, unload on the hubs :D who is properly indignant for me and wonders how int he world the woman thought she was being nice. She was actually very confrontational.

Fast forward about 2 hours and I get an email from work. My contract hasn't been renewed and I am out of a job. Hubs and I both worked part time to make one full time job. So we have lost half our income.

So, if you pray, will you pray for me. If you have good vibes, send them my way? If you know of an online job that doesn't involve phones could you pm me?

Thank you all if you made it this far. I feels good to unload on someone other than dh.

I am sorry for you. you are not bad mother. :grouphug:

My friend, who is blonde and blue eyed had to drag her 7 yr old adopted ASIAN daughter out of Walmart one time when she was having a meltdown. Surprisingly, she did not get stopped, but she got plenty of looks and a few muttered comments. She carried the child's passport and adoption papers with her for several years after that.

So I woke up this morning like normal. Got up, made coffee. Sat down to work. Worked 10 minutes and then no work available. Fine. Did a few things. Still no work. So decided to go grocery shopping. All the kids want to go so we pile in the car and head off.

First stop? Sam's Club. All is well, get that done and we pile in the car again, off to Wal*Mart.

Then the trouble begins.

Ds3 wanted a toy. I said no. We weren't even going to the toy section. He starts whining. I keep going, hoping he will stop and quiet down. He keeps it up. We get back to the dairy section (I always start in the back of the store and work my way forward) He asks for a toy again. Again I say no.

At this point my blood is starting to simmer. He has been whining for about 5 minutes. In the store.

So he flops down on the floor. I go over and ask him if he wants to get in the cart (with a little anger in the voice I might add). He ignores me. I get down to him and tell him he better answer me or we are going home and he will regret it. He continues to not answer, and now he is whaling.

SOOooo.... I take his hand and start out of the store with a detour to pick up dd14 at the book section. She peeks around the corner, hearing her brother complaining and I wave at her to come. I head out of the store. I get to the front and realize I don't see dd behind me. *Sigh* Thinking she is lagging I still head to the car and get ds3 in the seat and buckle it. Still no dd. Grrr. Ds3 is still crying. I can't send in ds10 after her as he would get lost trying to find her. I wait a couple more minutes. No dd.

*SIGH* I drag (still whimpering) ds3 out of the car and put him in the cart.

Now, when I put him in the cart it was none to gentle. I admit it. It wasn't exactly the way I should have but I "dropped" him in with a little more force than was warranted. I admit my mistake. Golly, don't lambaste me for it please.

The lady getting out of her car was apparently unaware of my disposition at that point. She prefaced with "Is that really necessary?" I ignore her and go in to get dd14.

We come out. Guess who is waiting? Oh yes. The lady who can't mind her own. I put ds in the car, buckled his seat (I was calming down by this point, but still just wanted to go home.) and shut the door.

What do I hear? .... Again? "Was that really necessary to put him in the cart that way? :001_huh: At this time she was on the passenger side of my car, I was on the drivers side.

Me: Mam, I appreciate what you are trying to do but it isn't helping.

Her: Well I thought I was being nice about it.

Me: I realize that but when a mama is angry that isn't the way to do it.

Her: Something I don't remember.

Me: blah, blah, blah (don't remember) Not your concern.

Her: It is everyone's concern when it is child abuse.:001_huh::mad:

Me: No, my business, not yours.

OK, Now I realize at this point I should have rolled my eyes and got in the car and carried on. However I just wasn't in that frame of mind.

Her: Yes it is my business.

Me: (In my outside voice) It is *NOT* your business, just go into the store and stay out of *MY* business.

I then get in my car, as I am getting in my car I her her say to the lady with her "Yea let's get it, what is it?" They are looking at the back of my car.

So I think they took my plates down. So this is where I ask... how long until CPS shows? I just know that woman is going to exaggerate what happened.

I get home, unload on the hubs :D who is properly indignant for me and wonders how int he world the woman thought she was being nice. She was actually very confrontational.

Fast forward about 2 hours and I get an email from work. My contract hasn't been renewed and I am out of a job. Hubs and I both worked part time to make one full time job. So we have lost half our income.

So, if you pray, will you pray for me. If you have good vibes, send them my way? If you know of an online job that doesn't involve phones could you pm me?

Thank you all if you made it this far. I feels good to unload on someone other than dh.

You HAVE had a really bad day. I'm so sorry.

Yes, you shouldn't have done it, but most of us HAVE done it or something like it at one time or another and anyone who expresses that she has acted in perfection toward her children at all times is a big fat liar. I was confronted once about walking to a bankmachine 50 feet away without bringing my toddler and my baby, who were clearly visible to me in the locked car 100% of the time. She thought it was unsafe; I thought that being 50 feet away for under one minute with my eyes on the vehicle was fine. I don't even want to remember all the times I was really angry at something and yelled at my kids over the years and someone overheard or could have.

Sorry about your day. I doubt CPS will investigate a call about a kid being put into a shopping cart roughly.

Oh my goodness, I am irritated at that lady just reading your post. Seriously, child abuse?? Okay, so you weren't a perfect parent at that moment and you made mistakes, but to call it child abuse and get your license plate?? Give me a break. I mean really, this lady is completely out of line. Has she nothing better to do? Too bad you didn't get HER license plate, I would have reported her for harassment.

And then your job on top of it all......

Anway, sorry about your no-good-rotten day. *HUGS*

And FWIW, I would not worry about CPS. Even if they do come to your door, which is highly unlikey, there is NO WAY that putting a child into a carseat the way you did would make a case. It just wouldn't happen.

Edited by MamaHappy

You weren't abusing your child. You shouldn't have to defend yourself to a busybody with too much time on her hands. I doubt CPS will contact you, but you might want to get the house extra-clean just in case. And be very careful of every word you say if you do have to discuss the situation, because your words may get used against you.

When things calm down for you, you might want to explore more efficient ways of getting kids to mind, but really, you've had all you can take today. Get some rest.

And if anyone does come by the house, do NOT let the person in! Talk at the door if you answer at all, hopefully with smiling children, baby in arms and cookies baking...

I am only now getting comfortable with leaving my 12 1/2 yo in the car to quickly run into the post office and drop a letter in the box because of all the horror stories I've heard. Even if everything turns out all right, it is so upsetting to have someone threaten you.

Lisa

I didn't leave mine until after 12 either.

Meanwhile, back in the day, I ran the streets at night with friends at 12 and under. I was gone all day at 7 or 8.

Crazy times we live in.

I was at Lowes with my friends and their 2 yr old DS right before closing time (so it was dark). They asked me to take him out and move the truck down to the other end where they were checking out. Their DS was fine until we got near the truck and realized I was going to put him into his car seat. He freaked out. He was yelling and kicking and screaming for his mommy. Two employees were collecting shopping carts. They glanced at me, but they never bothered me. I was worried that the cops were going to show up though. That was the worst that's happened to me so far. I say so far because my neighbor loves to call the cops on us and he knows how old my DS is so I'm sure this fall I'll have someone showing up because DS isn't going to school.

:grouphug: to OP.

And if anyone does come by the house, do NOT let the person in! Talk at the door if you answer at all, hopefully with smiling children, baby in arms and cookies baking...

That is not a good idea. Granted you don't have to let them in but all your doing is showing you have something to hide. It is easier to let them in and get it over with.

I'm sure everything will turn out OK, and sometimes losing a job opens you up for a better one.

Oh my, I can relate. There have been MANY times I've been terrified someone would end up calling CPS.

My 2nd dd went through a phase when she was around 18mo where she didn't want to be put in a car seat. She would stiffen her body so that the only way to get her in was to very forcefully push her hips down until her body bent, then quickly buckle her up. She would scream bloody murder every time we had to do it and it looked awful. I was always scared of hearing a knock on the door.

There are a few helpful people out there though...

On time I was leaving somewhere and I had my 7wk old nephew in an infant seat and my 1 and 2yr old dds. Well, dd2 starts pitching a huge fit, and I'm desparatly trying to figure out how to carry the baby and a flailing 2yr old while holding 1yr old's hand. A woman saw me, and instantly said in a very genuine way "Is there any way I can help you?" I had her carry the baby out, and I was SO very grateful.

"Oh, I know why you are here, that obnoxious drunk at Walmart scared the living daylights out of me and the kids, we were rushing to get away from her."

THIS is perfect!!!!!

CPS isn't going to go to your house because you weren't gentle when you placed your kid in the cart. They don't have the resources to waste their time on something like that. It clearly was NOT abuse.

You did the right thing by removing your kid from the store. I am sorry your dd didn't realize that you were done THEN and it was time to leave.:glare:

I am so sorry about your job. I hope you find a new contract soon.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh My Gosh. Did you have to mention the SHOPPING CART??!!![\size]

:lol::lol::lol:

Something similar happened to a family member at a Walmart parking lot, only the busybody didn't talk to her. She doesn't know who reported her or why they felt it necessary to report her, but CPS did visit later that day. It was very stressful for her to be accused anonymously of abuse (the complaint was vague but the person took issue with how she put her youngest in a carseat--or more likely, assumed that a child screaming must have been hurt by mama) when there wasn't any, but they did their investigation, found nothing at all to support the abuse claim, and the case was closed.

I have lost count of the times I have put a screaming toddler in their carseat, within 5 minutes they are asleep. Crazy world.

That is not a good idea. Granted you don't have to let them in but all your doing is showing you have something to hide. It is easier to let them in and get it over with.

If they don't have the legal right to enter, than I wouldn't let them in. It has nothing to do with having something to hide. It has to do with governmental agencies overreaching their authority.

I looked our state law up recently and it is no child under 16 in a RUNNING car, and no child under twelve UNLESS you are going into a tavern. Seems it is legal to leave a 3 year old in the car.

I looked our state law up recently and it is no child under 16 in a RUNNING car, and no child under twelve UNLESS you are going into a tavern. Seems it is legal to leave a 3 year old in the car.

Am I reading this right? Your state's law is that you may leave your children in the car unsupervised if and only if you are going to the tavern?

That's both scary and hilarious.

A tavern, huh? :lol:

I went into the bank yesterday. I was parked right in front of the door of the building, and I took my 10 yo in with me. I left the 12 1/2 yo in the car (not running) but I was still anxious about it. I can leave this kid at home for 2 or 3 hours, but I'm scared to run into the bank for 5 minutes for fear I will be reported. Something is not right about that. :glare:

Lisa

Am I reading this right? Your state's law is that you may leave your children in the car unsupervised if and only if you are going to the tavern?

This says if the child is under 12 and you leave him/her unattended by an adult in a parked vehicle (it would not matter if the car is running or not--if it's in Park, it's parked), it is a gross misdemeanor.

This is about the running car--it says if you park or leave the car running...

hilarious because if you didn't laugh your arse off you would cry hysterically.

pathetic. Let me go have a few GOOD STRONG DRINKS :tongue_smilie: and then drive my kids home. :confused:

This says if the child is under 12 and you leave him/her unattended by an adult in a parked vehicle (it would not matter if the car is running or not--if it's in Park, it's parked), it is a gross misdemeanor.

This is about the running car--it says if you park or leave the car running...

thank you for clarifying. I will bring my keys into the tavern to make sure I am following the law. :cursing:

If they don't have the legal right to enter, than I wouldn't let them in. It has nothing to do with having something to hide. It has to do with governmental agencies overreaching their authority.

:iagree: You dont have to prove your innocence, the burden of proof is on them.

On the note of kids in walmart, when my DD was about 2.5 we were in Walmart and we had just set our DD in the cart when she looks up, puts on a terrified face, and says "Daddy! Please dont beat me!". I could have died right there. EVERY single person in Walmart turned to look at us. How we escaped CPS is beyond me.

hilarious because if you didn't laugh your arse off you would cry hysterically.

pathetic. Let me go have a few GOOD STRONG DRINKS :tongue_smilie: and then drive my kids home. :confused:

Or maybe the purpose of allowing the children to be left unsupervised in the car is so that they can drive Mom or Dad home. Safety first, and all that. glare.gif

I saw this on Pinterest, and thought you might get a kick out of it today: http://stay-at-home-mayhem.blogspot.ca/2012/03/7-things-never-to-say-to-stressed-out.html

:grouphug:

:lol: My favorite part is the answer to her husband's question about dinner--I think we're having lasagna with a slice of homicide pie, dear. I may actually borrow that one.

:lol:

No NO, I mean you, one*mom, and I were OF the same MIND.

Next time I'll try not to be clever and just use the old :iagree:.:D

Aww, don't do that. I love your clever repartee.

Kinda makes my day when the wittiest thing that goes on around here (I live with two guys of the under 25 persuasion, and one who is working on a midlife crisis) is the kind of humor that thinks Stan Peed is a hilarious cowboy moniker.

Aww, don't do that. I love your clever repartee.

Kinda makes my day when the wittiest thing that goes on around here (I live with two guys of the under 25 persuasion, and one who is working on a midlife crisis) is the kind of humor that thinks Stan Peed is a hilarious cowboy moniker.

:lol: Okay, it could be because I'm still just 25 or because I'm having a bad day, but I think Stan Peed as a cowboy name is hilarious. My Papa was a cowboy. His father's name (no joke) was Will (iam) Drown.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

My grandma used to take my mom and aunt barhopping. They'd wait hours in the car, but she'd bring out a soda and bag of chips for them every once in a while. :( Can you imagine?

My grandma used to take my mom and aunt barhopping. They'd wait hours in the car, but she'd bring out a soda and bag of chips for them every once in a while. :( Can you imagine?

Well...... MY dad would take us inside the bar, where we would be bored for HOURS waiting for him to get zoned and hit on trashed women. I used to lick all the shot glasses (peppermint schnopps).

Hmmm...wonder why my brother was an alcoholic most of his life.

Bright side: I know all the words to almost every 70's country song. :)

My sister and I used to love when our Dad would take us to the bar, because he got totally loose with his money (i.e. bribed us to go away). We lived in a tiny tourist town where all the locals knew each other and so it felt relatively safe for us to wander, because the shop owners knew us and would keep an eye on us. While Dad held court at the bar, we'd go spend his money on ice cream and soft pretzels and arcade games. When we ran out of money, we'd walk back to the bar, where he'd toss more cash at us and we'd start all over again. It sounds really dysfunctional in my head as I'm typing it, and I guess it was, but we had an absolute blast.

Turns out my friend's hubby's call hadn't even gone through yet, so the officers had shown good sense without any interference from friend's dh. But I always worry about the "what ifs." What if the officers hadn't had good sense?

I hate people who can't mind their own business, and who lack common sense.

Two things:

1. If someone (a stranger?) had been in the restroom physically abusing a teen or any other kid, and no-one called the police, we'd be all up in arms that no-one did anything.

2. In the Special Ed Advocacy class that I am currently taking, the instructors suggest having kids with behavioral disorders volunteer with the police department. It gives the kids a good feeling to help, and it lets the officers get to know the kids and the family so they know the situation "next time".