Menu

Math Mammoth on the iPad?

myfatherslily

How has that worked out? I have an iPad now and I'll be getting MM as soon as the HSBC sale has ended. I'd LOVE to say $$ by doing the work on the iPad (esp. cause our iPad was a gift)! I'm just wondering how that actually works. I do prefer printed pages, generally.

What app do you use for it? I got Notability, but I don't see a way to bookmark pages?

What stylus do you like? Does it matter?

Is it awkward to write on the iPad? Are there issues with the hand touching the page while trying to write?

Please tell me what you think!

I was wondering if it would work on a Nook Tablet too. Seems like a great option. Maybe some topics would work better this route than others. Any paper & ink saved is good!

ezPDF for Android

You can zoom in so the spaces are big enough to write. I don't have a stylus, but we use the tablet for KISS grammar with just our finger. I'd probably want a stylus for doing math.

Works great. Kids think it's fun, not work if it's on an iPad. :lol:

I use neu.annotate. There is a free version and recently I got the paid version on sale for $2.99 (can create PDFs and more options for transferring back and forth twix computer). In free version you can put a doc on the iPad from within iTunes and e-mail the doc to yourself to get it "back off".

No stylus. They write with their finger. pinch-zoom, so can make any size and do calculations in the margins. Very easy for my 6yo to manage. Pages edited show up red (their page number in the PDF) and it just stays on the last page done. Can tag different PDFs (so have tags for each kid so they can just view their stuff).

Easy Peasy.

That sounds great! Thanks! It just occurred to me that I have one MM booklet pdf that we can try it out with. I'll see how Notability works, since I have it. Then we might try the other one :)

DS has started reading Word Mastery on the iPad and thinks it's great. Suddenly reading is the most awesome thing ever!

We use MM on our iPad. I use the app Notability, a recent upgrade see's and instant bookmark function so as soon as you open the file it goes back to the last place you had it open. You can use pinch to zoom to make the page bigger for writing or it has a zoom box so you can still see the entire page but write in a bigger area that will slot it into place at the right size. Hard to explain but it works really well. We use a targus stylus with it to make it neat. Stylus was cheap, about AUD$9.

We are also using Miquon in this way and a few other things. My DH is today scanning our ETC books so they can go on the iPad too. I love using the iPad for school, so do the kids. We will be purchasing a 2nd iPad soon because we use the first one all the time!

I have a question for those of you who use Notability. We have a short MM booklet on adding and subtracting, so I thought I'd try that out while waiting for the full curric. All of the pictures are missing! Ten-pillars, shapes for dividing in half, and other various parts. Obviously, this is not ideal. Do you have this problem?

I'll try one of the other apps if Notability doesn't work out. Just thought I'd try what I have first!

It is working great for us. Only complaint is dd wants to play with the ink color more than just get down to business. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I have a question for those of you who use Notability. We have a short MM booklet on adding and subtracting, so I thought I'd try that out while waiting for the full curric. All of the pictures are missing! Ten-pillars, shapes for dividing in half, and other various parts. Obviously, this is not ideal. Do you have this problem?

I'll try one of the other apps if Notability doesn't work out. Just thought I'd try what I have first!

We don't have that problem. Everything looks just as it does when viewing the PDF in Adobe.

You might want to make sure you have the latest version of the workbook. Did you purchase it recently? If it's not the latest version, you can get the upgrade free.

The latest version should be editable on your computer (ie, it will let you type in the boxes and such).

I can't see all the pictures on my ipad either. The Math Mammoth FAQ says that there's no fix for that on the iPad. I've been drawing in a few of the examples for my kids and having them skip some of the stuff that relies too heavily on the pictures. We've only had our iPad for about a week, and we just got a Rocketfish stylus for it ($16.99).

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing up an old post here....but can someone tell me exactly how to use MM on an iPad? I am not unfamiliar with an iPad but can't figure out how to get the MM from my USB, to my computer, onto my iPad.

Any help? :tongue_smilie:

Bringing up an old post here....but can someone tell me exactly how to use MM on an iPad? I am not unfamiliar with an iPad but can't figure out how to get the MM from my USB, to my computer, onto my iPad.

It's easier to just go to the site and download it directly from the iPad. :). Otherwise you can use Dropbox or set the file to sync when you plug the iPad into your computer.

I started a thread recently about how to get all the pictures to show up in Notability, but then someone else said it worked fine in Goodreader without all the hassle. Goodreader is a more expensive app, though.

I use Dropbox

OK, I will look into Dropbox, whatever that is. :D

Go to the Math Mammoth site and download it directly? I already purchased it all. It is on a USB and I think still on my computer.

Maybe I need some more hand holding. Don't quite get it yet.

Thanks for bumping this thread! I just purchased some MM for supplementation for DS, never would have thought to use my iPad for him! (and yeah, if you're on the iPad, it's not "work", right?;))

Dropbox is a FANTASTIC tool! It's a file sharing app that allows you to "share" files between your computers and/or devices. If you download the app, it has directions there. Basically, you download it to your iPad and computer, creating a user name and password. You can then copy the the file from you USB to Dropbox and when you go to you iPad dropbox there it'll be! Magic.:lol: From there, you can open in your favorite PDF reader.

In just the few minutes I've played around, I think Noteablity would be more user friendly for a kid as far as annotations go. I bought my MM files from Currclick and I'm having no issues seeing everything on the iPad just as I would on the computer. I do wonder if there's a way to "lock" the page though or go quickly between annotating and scrolling, especially if you want to pinch and zoom for a larger writing surfce. :001_huh: