Menu

Are you a member of HSLDA?

Are you a memeber of HSLDA?  

1. 1. Are you a memeber of HSLDA?

• Yes I am a member
    • No I am not a member

I mean right now at this moment are you a member of HSLDA? I am just curious. I am not currently but am thinking of joining. If you don't mind sharing why you are or why you are not that would be appreciated. Ofcourse your reasons are none of my business so you certainly don't have to! I just might help me make this decision. I didn't put an other option because either you are (currently) a member or you are not (currently) a member. If you used to be but are no longer would you mind commenting about that?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I don't agree with their ideology so no, nope.

:iagree: I live in a highly regulated state, and moved to a district with a reputation for being reasonable to work with for the most part. Someone new took over and last year there were multiple extra legal requests made...use *our* district evaluator form or else, portfolio *must* conform to certain size and standard of labeling, etc. etc. I do not have to report until next year, but am prepared to dig in my heels on my own if need be. I don't want to, but I will not join HSLDA out of fear.

I will take my chances and put the $ we would spend on membership toward a lawyer if necessary. I feel most things can be cleared up if the parent is familiar with the law and confident enough to assert himself or herself. If it gets ugly, then DH and I have decided we'll spend the money needed to have a letter drafted by an attorney. IMO, that seems like it solves the vast majority of issues.

I can't stomach HSLDA's ideology, so while I detest being in a tightly regulated state and living in a district that has started making extralegal requests, I refuse to give HSLDA my money.

:iagree:

We were urged to join when we started homeschooling. I wondered why if homeschooling is legal and I'm following the laws of my state, why the push?

I've never felt the need, even after 8 years. It feels kind of like mob protection to me.

If I had extended family or neighbors that were being a PITA about homeschooling I might research legal aid options, but HSLDA wouldn't be at the top of my list.

We are members; it's the only way for us "prove" we are homeschoolers for those organizations that provide steep discounts on software and other items for educators ;)

I live in a state that requires absolutely NOTHING, so my membership card for HSDLA proves that I am a homeschooler.

I do also happen to agree with many of their stances on issues.

~coffee~

We haven't joined. I've considered it and I'm still not 100% sure, but honestly I'm not sure that it would be worth it if we did. :) I'm also not real clear on what they use the money I pay them for...if they use it for the other things they have a part in besides homeschooling, I'm not sure I want to pay that money to them. I don't know. I'm kind of up in the air on the whole thing.

I am not, but only because I can't afford to join. If I had the funds I'd join in a heartbeat, as we live less than a block away from all 3 public schools for our area and we've already had issues with truancy officers asking if DD was enrolled. As she gets older I expect it to be worse.

And I don't agree with much of their theology either, but the fact remains that they are one of the pioneering hs legal groups and the mere mention of them causes our district to become much friendlier {they've already had to deal with HSLDA in the past over hassling hs'd students, or so I was told}.

I'm not a member because they use their money to advocate for things that don't necessarily have anything to do with homeschooling. I generally disagree with their stance on those issues, and don't want any of my money going towards an organization that discriminates.

This. They will never see a cent of my money, and I when it comes up I make clear that HSLDA does not speak for me or my family.

I am not a member of hslda, I use Homeschool Legal Advantage. They are both less expensive and their application form is much less invasive.

Same here. HLA will also provide free membership to families that cannot afford it - plus they offer a free will making kit.

I do confess, however, that I use HSLDA's website occasionally as a resource for hs information.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Not a member. I think they scare people into paying to join their organization and thinking they need "representation" for every interaction they might have with school district or government officials. People should be able to self-advocate for most issues.

For example, we talked on this forum about how NC sent out letters requesting that people attend a "voluntary" meeting. I threw the letter away. They don't need an answer from me. They don't have the authority to make that request. We talked about it on our local list. But, a couple of moms still felt the need to contact HSLDA about it.

I'm not a member because they use their money to advocate for things that don't necessarily have anything to do with homeschooling. I generally disagree with their stance on those issues, and don't want any of my money going towards an organization that discriminates.

This is the why behind my no, nope. Looking at my own family, I see people who the HSLDA feels the need to advocate (http://hslda.org/docs/faqs/default.asp#q008) should not be able to marry. Homeschooling is not just for religious conservatives. I don't see a lot of diversity of opinions or diversity of types of families and homeschooling presented in their materials. It's not just about protecting homeschooling, it is about advancing one specific kind of way to homeschool/what to teach. And that is fine and their members have the right to band together and have that sort of platform/organization, but it means it is not an organization the represents or applies to me and mine. Would HSLDA go to bat for lesbian homeschoolers? People they really disagree with? Then maybe I would feel like joining and donating.

I have to agree. Plus, aren't they NOT obligated to help you? They choose whether or not to help certain families, don't they?

Yes. It is not insurance at all. They pick and choose who they will help. And they will not help in cases of divorce, which I think is the most common type of case about homeshchooling.

I am not a member.

I don't like the back room politics that gets between legislators and their constituents - the people who have to live under the laws of that state. They have helped create very intrusive homeschooling laws in some states, thus perpetuating their existence.

I don't like the way they bully their way into states and push aside state homeschooling organizations, unless, of course, they are conservative Christian organizations.

I don't like the way the purport to be THE voice of homeschoolers when they don't represent the views of most homeschoolers.

I don't like their divisiveness. In their support of issues that have nothing to do with homeschooling, they drive a wedge between different types of homeschoolers rather than bringing them together.

I don't like the fact that they mislead the public into thinking that they are legal insurance. They are not. In many states, they don't have lawyers who can practice in that state and often will not pay for legal support, even if the person has been members for years.

ETA: I live in a state that has no requirements and I haven't had any trouble getting an educators' discount at various establishments.

I accidentally voted yes, because I misread it and thought it said Yes, I am/was. Shouldn't have tried to multi-task...anyway, we were members when we first started homeschooling because we had hostile family members and felt we needed that protection. But after several years, those family member have come to see the great job we're doing :) and so we let it drop. We did/do mostly agree with their stance on issues, but I haven't paid much attention the last few years, so I'm not aware of their current focus?

We joined HLA (Homeschool Legal Advantage) this year. We were able to join for free (a special on someone's blog, I think) mostly so we could make a will for free. But we will probably continue with them, if we have the money, because I would like to help protect homeschooling families.

I will say they are at least honest about the fact they won't help in every situation. And they are pretty specific about when they won't help. They are also honest about their agenda. So they aren't dishonest per se, they just don't offer a service/product I feel I need.

I disagree. There was a case in our state of a dues paying member who needed legal representation due to a problem with a local superintendent. She turned to HSLDA, but they refused to help her.

We are members. I greatly appreciate how HSLDA has fought to keep states from increasing the requirements of homeschoolers. We would all have much less freedom to educate our children if they had not won so many legal battles over the years.

We are members. I greatly appreciate how HSLDA has fought to keep states from increasing the requirements of homeschoolers. We would all have much less freedom to educate our children if they had not won so many legal battles over the years.

They have lobbied for *increased* regulations in some states. For example: http://hsislegal.com/2009/09/hslda-runs-roughshod-in-nh/

We're not members. Our state does have some specific requirements, but I haven't found them unmanageable.

Wendy, I'm curious... I do know that NY is a bear in regards to its hsing regulations... what role did HSLDA play in that? I haven't heard the story...

Some of that story is told here:

http://hsislegal.com/does_hslda_work_with_state_associations_and_support_the_autonomy_of_homeschoolers/

Not a member. I think they scare people into paying to join their organization and thinking they need "representation" for every interaction they might have with school district or government officials. People should be able to self-advocate for most issues.

Yes. It is not insurance at all. They pick and choose who they will help. And they will not help in cases of divorce, which I think is the most common type of case about homeshchooling.

I don't like the back room politics that gets between legislators and their constituents - the people who have to live under the laws of that state. They have helped create very intrusive homeschooling laws in some states, thus perpetuating their existence.

I don't like the way they bully their way into states and push aside state homeschooling organizations, unless, of course, they are conservative Christian organizations.

I don't like the way the purport to be THE voice of homeschoolers when they don't represent the views of most homeschoolers.

I don't like their divisiveness. In their support of issues that have nothing to do with homeschooling, they drive a wedge between different types of homeschoolers rather than bringing them together.

I don't like the fact that they mislead the public into thinking that they are legal insurance. They are not. In many states, they don't have lawyers who can practice in that state and often will not pay for legal support, even if the person has been members for years.

All of this.

I have often followed a link to one of their "alerts," done some research into the actual bill or situation in question, and realized that HSLDA has completely distorted the situation to increase the apparent threat level.

But what really sealed the deal in terms of my opinion was the piece they wrote explaining that our freedom to homeschool is dependent on gay people not being allowed to get married. If gay people are allowed to marry, we will no longer have a basis for asserting our homeschooling rights. Come on! You don't have to be a supporter of gay marriage to realize how completely ludicrous that argument is.

I thought they did get involved in a divorce case in Maine.

You are right, they usually will not get involved in most divorce cases. HSLDA believes our right to homeschool our children comes from our parental rights. Both parents have these rights and when you join HSLDA, they are representing both parents' rights to homeschool. That is if they wish to homeschool.

They will enter into a divorce case if it will effect all homeschoolers from what I have seen.

I don't think we need it. We follow our state laws carefully and live in a reasonably homeschool-friendly state.

I don't like the way they do things. Seems to me to be manipulative. They mix legitimate homeschool issues with other political ones. If we needed legal help, there are other organizations which can do the same work, without the political agenda. I think they are often divisive and have a critical spirit towards homeschoolers who don't share their aims or support their means of accomplishing those aims.

We are members; it's the only way for us "prove" we are homeschoolers for those organizations that provide steep discounts on software and other items for educators ;)

I live in a state that requires absolutely NOTHING, so my membership card for HSDLA proves that I am a homeschooler.

I do also happen to agree with many of their stances on issues.

~coffee~

You can get a homeschool identification card through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

Nope.

If they only stuck to homeschooling I might consider it but I do not approve of their politics.

Hm..really? NY has the regulations they have in large part BECAUSE of HSLDA.

:iagree: Something similar almost happened in NJ. They wanted to more strictly define what counted as homeschooling when we have complete and total freedom already.

I don't like the fear-mongering with half truths and I disagree with most, if not all, of their political stances. We won't join no matter where we live.

If you don't mind sharing why you are or why you are not that would be appreciated.

No, I am not and never will be a member of that organization. I find many of their policies and motivations disgusting.

In addition, I think their business practices are misleading. People believe that they become members and are buying some kind of insurance, but the reality is that HSLDA has a specific agenda and will help only if you fit their narrow definition of the right kind of homeschooler.

Nope, not a member. I have considered it, but someone I know told me don't go through them. Her husband is an attorney and if we ever needed help, we could contact him. I don't like that they may or may not help you. Although, they make it clear that there are cases they won't, I just can't see giving money and than have the off chance that they won't help.

I don't think we need it. We follow our state laws carefully and live in a reasonably homeschool-friendly state.

I don't like the way they do things. Seems to me to be manipulative. They mix legitimate homeschool issues with other political ones. If we needed legal help, there are other organizations which can do the same work, without the political agenda. I think they are often divisive and have a critical spirit towards homeschoolers who don't share their aims or support their means of accomplishing those aims.