Menu

Is there a Netflix of the audio book world?

BethG

Not for comparable Netflix pricing no. There is the library but then you stand the annoying chance of getting a CD that is scratched. :glare:

On a related link I posted a little blurb about Jim Weiss today. I don't know if you are familiar with him but I previously only knew him as the SOTW guy. WOW!! was I amazed at the breadth of resources he has recorded. A library of classics done in a master storytelling fashion. My goal is to amass a collection of his work for my house. :D

We use audiobooks.com, but the catalog is smaller than audible.com. It is unlimited books for the monthly fee of $25 though instead of being limited to 1-2 books a month. I don't really think audiobooks have caught up to technology yet in terms of what people want.

Our county library website has lots of audiobooks, including current stuff and classics, available for download. Each one is "checked out" for the standard three weeks but can be renewed if you need more time.

They use two different services, OverDrive Media Console and OneClick Digital.

All we need is a library card. I'm currently listening to The Night Circus on my morning walks.

It might be worth taking a look at your local library system.

I was soooo thinking of asking a similar question. I'm reading WTM and she recommends audio books. Well, my library doesn't have many classics on audio. Granted, they have the books so I could check them out and read them aloud to DD, but it sounds like audio books might be more interesting to listen to.

Not for comparable Netflix pricing no. There is the library but then you stand the annoying chance of getting a CD that is scratched. :glare:

On a related link I posted a little blurb about Jim Weiss today. I don't know if you are familiar with him but I previously only knew him as the SOTW guy. WOW!! was I amazed at the breadth of resources he has recorded. A library of classics done in a master storytelling fashion. My goal is to amass a collection of his work for my house. :D

I appreciated your post on Jim Weiss. It was a good reminder to me to check out his website again. I had forgotten how many CDs he has available...lots that I'd like to incorporate into our history for next year!