Menu

Middle school (7th-8th) science

ga girl

I have researched until I am exhausted... I THINK I have my choices for next year narrowed down to 2 options - Apologia General Science/Physical Science or Awakening Wonder which uses PH Explorer. I know that one is Christian based and one is secular based. I am not bothered by either. I want the one that will provoke interest, thought and excitement. What's your opinion on either of these? Help please!!

The Apologia series would not have "provoked interest, thought, and excitement" in my kiddos or me. I think it would have made them hate science and made me put my head through a wall. Have you had the chance to look closely at one of these texts?

But it seems that a lot of homeschoolers use it and love Apologia, so your mileage may vary.

I've never seen your other choice...but I sure like the name! Awakening Wonder! *Sounds* much better than "General Science". LOL!

This is really just a pop post for you.

Is this for the dc who is going the BJU Life Science this year? Check the s&s, but I wouldn't bother with the Apologia GS after the BJU Life Science. They overlap too much.

The PH explorers books are fine, nothing astounding. I have one. The name is slipping my mind, but there's a series AIG sells that has 6-8 topical books that is good and would make a good spine. There are free study guides for them available online. We did one of the books and found it thought-provoking.

The BJU Earth Science has been rewritten for the new edition. It looks MUCH better. I wasn't even going to consider it, given our experience with the Life Science, but the new edition looks so good, so readable, I think that's the direction we're going.

Thank you for your insight!! My ds who's doing BJU Life Science this year is bored with it, but when he looked at the Apologia text decided he didn't like the wordiness. So... now it's between Rainbow and PH with the AW.

The BJU Earth Science has been rewritten for the new edition. It looks MUCH better. I wasn't even going to consider it, given our experience with the Life Science, but the new edition looks so good, so readable, I think that's the direction we're going.

I've not seen the new BJU - but the thought of an entire year of earth and space makes me want to :banghead:. But, I'll look :)

That's too funny, hehe. When I went to a cs for a couple years as a kid, the year we did the BJU earth science was my favorite and most memorable. I guess everyone has what they like. The Life Science is dull and encyclopedic, but the new Earth Science edition looks thought-provoking and more narrative, at least from the samples.

I know you didn't mention this but I thought I would share what I posted on another post. I think the inquiry-based method would provoke interest, thought and excitement.

We are doing this: http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

It is free except for the material to do the experiments. Every lesson starts with an experiment. It is referred to as inquiry-based curriculum.

It was created by the American Chemical Society and it looks top notch. Bonus for me is that I can download the large textbook and student guide onto an iPad or my Nook Color.

A wonderful member here made a list of all the materials you would need for the eperiments here: http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/review-middle-school-chemistry/

Edited by Briartell

I know you didn't mention this but I thought I would share what I posted on another post. I think the inquiry-based method would provoke interest, thought and excitement.

We are doing this: http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

It is free except for the material to do the experiments. Every lesson starts with an experiment. It is referred to inquiry-based curriculum.

It was created by the American Chemical Society and it looks top notch. Bonus for me is that I can download the large textbook and student guide onto an iPad or my Nook Color.

A wonderful member here made a list of all the materials you would need for the eperiments here: http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/review-middle-school-chemistry/

I love the ACS site but isn't it only for 10 or so weeks of instruction? Thanks for the quarksandquirks site!

Yes, there is one experiment per week and a lesson to go with it which we will spread out for the year. I wanted this to be our one course where my DS just went where his interest led him. We were planning on following rabbit trails with the lessons during the week. I expect we will seek out more experiments, watch documentaries, read library books, and play games you can find here: http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/homeschool-freedownloads/chemistry-games/index.php