Menu

How do I remove gasoline smell from my trunk?

Gasoline leaked into the trunk area of my minivan (behind the third row bench seat). It stinks. The gasoline soaked into the carpeted area. Is there a way to remove the gasoline and smell without taking up the carpet? We don't really have the money to take it to the dealer and have the carpet re-done right now.

Clean the spill as best you can. Gasoline is oil based so you will need something to break that down maybe a little dawn dish detergent. Open the windows and air it out in the sunshine as much as possible. It may take days or weeks of airing out for it to go away.

This happened to me once. I tried a lot of things and washed it with a carpet cleaner.

I finally ended up taking the whole thing apart, and washing the carpet, the padding and the floor of the car.

Sorry to give you such news, but gasoline is really hard to clean since it is oily.

BTW, I used DAWN and washed it more than once in the yard.

Perhaps you could do better with a cleaner that is specifically for gas cleanup: I however, do not know what that product would be.

Among the most frequently recommended solutions is the use of a product that will absorb the gasoline, typically baking soda, cat litter or baby powder. Allow the substance to set on the gasoline spill for an extended period of time (sometimes even a month, depending on the amount of the spill) and then vacuum up the substance. Vinegar is also a strong deodorizer. Consider applying a vinegar solution to the spill first, using a shop-vac to vacuum up the solution and then follow with the absorbent substances mentioned to get the remainder of the gasoline up.

Copied and pasted from http://www.ehow.com/about_6323018_odor-removal-gasoline-spill-car.html