Menu

National Merit Scholarship Question

I've been looking over the entry requirements for the National Merit Scholarship.

From back in my high school days, I remember there also being a requirement that a student not have taken the PSAT prior to junior year. I'm not sure if this requirement has changed or if I'm misremembering.

From the btdt folks, is there any restriction you're aware of on taking the PSAT in 9th or 10th grade. I realize that only the 11th grade scores are considered for eligibility. I'm trying to figure out if additional tests are disqualifying.

Or is there any kind of restriction based on having taken the SAT before the PSAT (other than for talent search type reasons)?

When I was in high school, the PSAT was regarded like a blood test -- you went in, poured out your knowledge (instead of blood) on the dots on the paper, and went home. Your knowledge was categorized, and you were told if you were a NMSF or not. No one I know ever remotely considered taking the PSAT before 11th grade.

Nowadays, people seem to look at the PSAT and SAT more like exercise -- the more you do them, the better you get at them. And the more preparation you do, the better you do.

I am always amused at the difference between the generations -- my kids cannot believe that dh and I went into the PSAT, the SAT, and even the SAT-2's (called Achievements back then) without studying!